IGNORED

Atari Gamer articles

Igor

I was rather pleased with Alpine Games music when I played it last week. Loops has a nice catchy tune too. I've asking for some feedback on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/lynxfans/permalink/2455546504515704/) on whether I should open up a voting/rating page for Atari Lynx games, if there is going to be enough interest I'll make that happen and music will be one of the categories.

• Like 1

It won't be on Facebook, it will be a permanent voting feature on atarigamer.com :)

The idea is that all of the votes will be accepted up to the end of August and then in September the results will be published.

These are the categories I'm thinking...

Graphics

Sound Effects
Music
Controls
Replay Value

Not all games are arcade ports though, but that's a good idea for an article in its own right. I'll let Jon (the co-writer) know and see what he can come up with. Thanks for the suggestions!

• Like 1

We're getting ready to celebrate the Atari Lynx 30th birthday this year. Get your votes in for what you think are the best games on the console! Let the game voting wars begin!

Just cast my vote for my favorite Lynx game (at least for now). Great idea, Igor!

• Like 2

Just cast my vote for my favorite Lynx game (at least for now). Great idea, Igor!

Agreed! I just wish there was a "comparative" rating so that users can rank it amongst the entire library. There are a number of titles that are great overall (Scrapyard Dog) that have weak overall individual attributes (music and sfx), and I hope that doesn't skew the overall ratings towards weaker games that score moderately well in all areas.

• Like 3

And of course ours :)

You guys have created the most fab Mikey chip sounds so far on the Lynx in my opinion. Your demo really blew my mind since I didn't even know the Lynx is capable of such sounds! I saw how chip "instruments" are made in one of the c16/plus4 trackers, and it made me understand it a bit better, in theory at least. Amazing getting to hear those "bubbly arpeggios" and other familiar c64/european styled "instruments"/sounds on the Lynx :)

Shadow of the Beast Overworld theme was also my favorite before your demo, because of the "reverb" on the lead, but I think you have even better sounding reverb/delay & instruments!

Klax seems to use sampled instruments in a really smart, minimal way. It sounds great! I wonder if it's the classic preset DX7 bass 2 that LX Rudis used, it sounds a lot like it at least

There's a lot of nice music on the Lynx, California games, Robotron intro, Blue Lightning intro, Checkered Flag intro, Electro Cop, Lemmings etc. and I've really started liking the Slime World intro music too, really funky. ^^

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Like 2

We're having a look at the different Atari Lynx flashable cartridges and making a wish list for what we'd like to see in the one cart to 'rule them all' :grin: https://atarigamer.com/articles/the-best-flash-sd-multi-cartridge-for-atari-lynx

What would your ideal flashable/multi ROM cart look like?
post-54616-0-95728800-1555326684_thumb.jpg
  • Like 2

We're having a look at the different Atari Lynx flashable cartridges and making a wish list for what we'd like to see in the one cart to 'rule them all' :grin: https://atarigamer.com/articles/the-best-flash-sd-multi-cartridge-for-atari-lynx

What would your ideal flashable/multi ROM cart look like?

Nice article. I would sugest more info like the Metaos needs the headers removed and needs to be padded. The Lynx SD will run the games in a lot more formats.

One feature i would like is a cheat funtion, like the game genie that most everdrives have built in. That isnt really a programers thing but more of a players thing.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This week we're doing something a little different - no article, but we're announcing the Atari Lynx 30th Birthday Programming Competition...https://atarigamer.com/pages/atari-lynx-30th-birthday-programming-competition

If we get enough registrations, the competition will formally start, so if you think you have what it takes to make a winning game/demo for the Lynx, register now!
post-54616-0-20186200-1556527312_thumb.jpg

Nice initiative that I hope I can join :)

(this rule is a bit tough though: "Your demo/game must be substantial i.e. short 1 minute demos or simple one-level type games will be disqualified" - I think this could be part of the evaluation, if you're game is finished with a lot of content, then you get bonus points, but if it's not that's ok to be part of the competition).

• Like 1

Nice initiative that I hope I can join :)

(this rule is a bit tough though: "Your demo/game must be substantial i.e. short 1 minute demos or simple one-level type games will be disqualified" - I think this could be part of the evaluation, if you're game is finished with a lot of content, then you get bonus points, but if it's not that's ok to be part of the competition).

What I was trying to get across with this rule is very simple games should not qualify i.e. you need to spend more than a few days making it ;-)

What I was trying to get across with this rule is very simple games should not qualify i.e. you need to spend more than a few days making it ;-)

perhaps you could leave people present little games, judges will evaluate them for their real value but this could allow to enlarge the lynx homebrew scene, and maybe some rough gem could arise, and with the help of other developer cold became a fullgame. I higly believe in the power of cooperation, and a lot of hobby coders don't enter in the scene for the lack of time.

• Like 1

Yep. "On Duty" has been silently in the works for more than a year. And I coded several full days in this year already. Hopefully I get it done by September or November this year.

It is trivial to grab a game like minesweeper and just change the end game a little and claim it to be a new idea. (I wonder if anyone falls for this? )

But creating a playable game from scratch, balancing the play, writing the plot, graphics, music. It really takes time. I could not produce anything of quality in 3 months. Inventing new things is hard.

Baron Lovejoy has already been in the works for years. "Shaken, not stirred" took a few years to finally become a game.

But making a single level game like "Find a way to my heart" takes a week or two. It requires very little inventions. You just write it.

Edited by karri
  • Like 1

Tetris Raiden, A Bug's Lynx have been done in less than 24h ;)

Edited by Fadest
  • Like 1