IGNORED

Atari Gamer articles

Igor

I liked the article about the BennVenn LCD Mod.  I must say I also appreciate the fact that you took power measurements of the BennVenn Screen too.

I may well order one for another Lynx with a failing screen.  

One thing I did find and would recommend is to use an old IDE cable for the screen wiring.  It makes it all very neat and easy to wire.  (Well it does for the McWill screen anyway).

I also like the fact the BennVenn mod uses less current than the Stock Screen which I thought the McWill screen would but....

I took measurements of the stock vs McWill screen back in 2015 and was surprised at the results.  Also from the power consumption results and studying the Lynx Schematic I was the first person to figure out that the original power circuit was actually excellent at it's job and a true high efficiency switching reg.  After a bit of convincing, people now don't butcher their Lynx's with a botch fix, but now repair them properly.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 7:53 AM, Orange-Phantom said:

I liked the article about the BennVenn LCD Mod.  I must say I also appreciate the fact that you took power measurements of the BennVenn Screen too.

I may well order one for another Lynx with a failing screen.  

One thing I did find and would recommend is to use an old IDE cable for the screen wiring.  It makes it all very neat and easy to wire.  (Well it does for the McWill screen anyway).

I also like the fact the BennVenn mod uses less current than the Stock Screen which I thought the McWill screen would but....

I took measurements of the stock vs McWill screen back in 2015 and was surprised at the results.  Also from the power consumption results and studying the Lynx Schematic I was the first person to figure out that the original power circuit was actually excellent at it's job and a true high efficiency switching reg.  After a bit of convincing, people now don't butcher their Lynx's with a botch fix, but now repair them properly.

Thanks for the feedback. I've used an old IDE cable in the past and didn't like the results, but that's just up to you in the end on whether you want to use that or modding wire.

I like your measurements you took of the Lynx. Thanks for sharing those!

4 hours ago, necrocia said:

There are many games that do deserve a sequel on the Lynx, sadly I don't think it will happen any more, but we can always wish and hope!
Article link: https://atarigamer.com/articles/atari-lynx-games-that-deserve-a-sequel

unnamed.thumb.jpg.6a819ece2ab724185cb5577dc7aa6cd5.jpg

Well both the Game Boy and Game Gear recieved Jungle and Urban Strike, so no technical reason they could not both of made it to the Lynx.

Lemmings coder did say in message contained in the game, if lynx was still around in a few years, maybe he would try converting Lemmings 2 onto it.

Lynx Double Dragon converted from Genesis version, not sure how much work would be needed to convert SNES code to the Lynx.

• Like 1

SNES code to Lynx would be a real challenge. Personally I'm more interested not in sequels but different genres of games for the Lynx. There are many gaps in the game collection.

• Like 1

Lemmings Tribes would be my definite number one. The Lynx Lemmings is a nice port. The graphics does not eat up all RAM.

I did play the Lemming Tribes on the Amiga and it is much nicer that the original Lemmings.

The levels can be changed as sage demonstrated years ago.

The idea of Lemmings Tribes was to unite all Lemming tribes (cavemen, beach, space, sport, medieval, night...) Every tribe would bring a piece of a medallion that can transfer all Lemmings to safety. All tribes had their own abilities so you really had to learn what new abilities they have and how to best use them.

950291-lemmings-2-the-tribes-dos-screenshot-outdoor-lemmings-using.png.a56ca3ded28fa02f71e163fee6f02bc5.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, necrocia said:

SNES code to Lynx would be a real challenge. Personally I'm more interested not in sequels but different genres of games for the Lynx. There are many gaps in the game collection.

Ditto here for myself.

The Lynx really suffered RPG wise compared to the Game Gear..

Even if Lemmings 2 was brought to Lynx, it would still suffer the control issue that blighted all versions of Lemmings that could not offer mouse control and if it had the icons on the pause screen again..well enough said ?

On 7/22/2019 at 2:10 AM, necrocia said:

Not all Lynx games had music and certainly more of them should have had it! Which game do you think could have done with a nice music track?

Article here: https://atarigamer.com/articles/atari-lynx-games-that-would-have-most-benefitted-from-backing-music

unnamed.thumb.jpg.76cf6ced91f67a5f5b947377c79a3c4b.jpg

Nice article, but a big “no” from me on in-game music in Klax. SFX are a critical part of gameplay, and music would make it much harder to hear the specific cues of tiles coming down the track.

But I’m going to put in a plug for a musically fixed version of Raiden. The Telegames release has none, while I’ve heard that the Atari beta has music, but is incomplete and/or buggy. What happened??

• Like 1