IGNORED

Atari Gamer articles

Igor

This weekend I've level up! We're off on a honeymoon for a few weeks so there won't be articles or news updates for a while. Once we're back, it won't be long until the Lynx 30th birthday competition concludes and there will be a tonne of new Lynx games to play!

https://atarigamer.com/articles/atari-gamer-has-leveled-up-

unnamed.thumb.png.6931dad207536ab008e82e6e9bba9b73.png

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2018 at 1:09 AM, necrocia said:

I've been running Atari Gamer, a website focusing on Atari Lynx history and news, since January 2018 but it hasn't been until recently that I've got into a regular schedule of article posts. At the moment I'm limiting to one article a week, released on a Monday. I'm starting this thread to announce new articles as they become available.

Any feedback, comments, article suggestions are very welcome. I hope you all enjoy reading some fresh new content about Atari Lynx!

Last week's article was - Behind the scenes - making of the 48 in 1 Atari Lynx multicart.

post-54616-0-12660200-1533531936.jpg

I'm also working with Mark aka MillipedeMan with promoting his Lynx Handycast.

Past articles can be found here: Articles

Congrats, Igor, on the one-year anniversary of linking AtariGamer articles on the AtariAge Lynx forums! ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mark! Apologies for the long time to reply. I didn't have my computer with my while on honeymoon. Back to business as usual soon though! It's been an amazing journey running AtariGamer so far, looking forward to many more fun times ahead. The programming competition will bring a lot of cool new games too, can't wait!

7 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Ooh, can you do a review of Carl's new boxes? I'm going to put in an order on Friday, but an advance look would be nice.

Yep, I mentioned in the article that I will once they arrive. Chances are you will get them before me since it takes an age for parcels to arrive from US to Australia.

Atari Lynx turns 30 and we have a huge birthday present, or really about a dozen of them for this amazing console. Eleven teams have been working hard to create new games for the Lynx and they're finally available to play. Note that not all are 100% complete and the developers have another week to polish things.

unnamed.thumb.jpg.aee54759425d2637e7f34d05ffa20c07.jpg

• Like 3

The final submissions are in so go over and download and play them! Eleven new games for the Lynx! Many fun and addictive games, you'll have hours of fun with your Lynx!

Don't forget to leave your comments and rate the gamestoo, your voices will be heard when judging to see which developer wins!

?

prgcom1.thumb.jpg.51cd3ffc13267695d3a5f2917b8d7c95.jpg

Edited by necrocia
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nop90 said:

4ttude and nutmeg screenshots are from old versions.

Not a problem for nutmeg, but 4ttude is very different.

You're right, I used older artwork for that image because there simply wasn't time to take new screenshots of every new submission. I'll be updating each of the game information pages in time. Going through 11 games, making sure each one runs on Lynx SD and on AgaCart takes a very long time, I'm sure you can appreciate the effort involved, especially since this is a hobby for all of us ?

When/If I run another competition, there will be an online submission system and much, much more strict requirements on each team to provide a complete package with converted ROMs, any .sav files for the SD, their own screenshots, a readme, etc. I've learned quite a bit from running this competition and mostly it's been around administration activities. All the feedback and bugs found on the website have also been very helpful.

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Igor said:

Glossy, sturdy, in line with the original Atari Lynx boxes, these are great! Have you got them yet?
We've reviewed Songbird Production Atari Lynx game boxes: https://atarigamer.com/articles/review-of-songbird-productions-atari-lynx-game-boxes

IMG_5121.thumb.jpg.ed0639233f405ae84c6f28c1187338bf.jpg

I must admit that these are nice. The new graphics is a nice face lift to these titles.

• Like 2

It was a bit different. I still have my RAM carts with a 1F capacitor that was able to keep the image alive for hours after the Lynx was switched off. But there was no tool to program them so the BLL uploader was in frequent use. Actually every homebrew cart contained the uploader.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, karri said:

It was a bit different. I still have my RAM carts with a 1F capacitor that was able to keep the image alive for hours after the Lynx was switched off. But there was no tool to program them so the BLL uploader was in frequent use. Actually every homebrew cart contained the uploader.

Karri, now you should be able to program it with your PiHat.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Igor said:

It is so much easier to develop and produce for retro consoles these days, I don't know how it was at all possible back then.

Hacking hacking hacking ? We even had a keyboard attached to the Lynx and could program directly _on_ the Lynx ?

Today with McWill's LCD/VGA mod it would be like coding on an 8bit home computer.

Edited by 42bs
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, 42bs said:

Hacking hacking hacking ? We even had a keyboard attached to the Lynx and could program directly _on_ the Lynx ?

Today with McWill's LCD/VGA mod it would be like coding on an 8bit home computer.

I was seriously believing that the BASIC people wanted an interactive interpreter for the Lynx. Perhaps with a ComLynx connected keyboard. It should not be too hard to use ComLynx with some terminal emulator for interactive commands on the Lynx. It could even have ZMODEM file transfer support like in the old days. Then you could program it with your laptop kbd using an 5V USB-serial cord (9600-n81).

Something like this perhaps?

> DIR E
BALL.SPR
BOING.SND
TEQUILA.MUS
PONG.BAS
> PLAY E:TEQUILA.MUS
> DRAW BALL.SPR 20 30
> PLAY E:BOING.SND
> RUN E:PONG.BAS

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, karri said:

I was seriously believing that the BASIC people wanted an interactive interpreter for the Lynx. Perhaps with a ComLynx connected keyboard. It should not be too hard to use ComLynx with some terminal emulator for interactive commands on the Lynx. It could even have ZMODEM file transfer support like in the old days. Then you could program it with your laptop kbd using an 5V USB-serial cord (9600-n81).

Something like this perhaps?

> DIR E
BALL.SPR
BOING.SND
TEQUILA.MUS
PONG.BAS
> PLAY E:TEQUILA.MUS
> DRAW BALL.SPR 20 30
> PLAY E:BOING.SND
> RUN E:PONG.BAS

Yes, possible. Many KIM-1 clones do this.

Esp. with the Lynx SD card, you can save your programs easily.

hehe, well an assembly monitor/debugger would be very helpful on the Lynx today still. It is amazing what you all were able to achieve in hacking the system to lay the ground work...that's why it's so easy now!

14 minutes ago, Igor said:

hehe, well an assembly monitor/debugger would be very helpful on the Lynx today still. It is amazing what you all were able to achieve in hacking the system to lay the ground work...that's why it's so easy now!

It is all there (bll/includes/debug.inc). It just needs someone to write a nice GUI front end to handle breakpoints, dumping memory etc.