IGNORED

Atari Gamer articles

Igor

Just a heads-up - I've got both the RetroHQ Lynx Game Drive and the BennVenn ElCheapoSD prototype carts here. I was planning to do separate reviews of both but since I've got a little behind on things, I think it will only be fair to do a review of both at the same time. That should be ready in a week or so. Sit tight!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! I've reviewed AgaCart last year already here - https://atarigamer.com/articles/agacart-is-a-new-sd-based-flash-cartridge-for-atari-lynx

The Lynx GD and ElCheapoSD article was specifically comparing the two "new generation" SD carts, AgaCart is not in the same category but I do agree that Rafal did a great job on making it.

On 6/24/2020 at 2:32 AM, Igor said:
Both great SD card based carts for Atari Lynx...this is a review to answer all your questions about both ?

Thanks for comparing the two. Esp. the handling of EEPROMs seems to be solved better on LynxGD. But maybe BennVenn can improve his firmware to copy the EEPROM contents to the SD (and write it back).

No worries, the firmware on the ElCheapoSD will work like this (updated the article with details)...

At power on, checks the last used ROM. If it uses EEPROM it'll move EEPROM to SD. If you load a new ROM, it'll load the new SD save to EEPROM if it has one, if it doesn't it creates the file for the next power cycle to save.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Atari Gamer here, I know the itch.io page for the competition we've been running has been shared already, but here's our summary of the programming contest too. Check out the new homebrew games and be sure to submit your ratings, these are some great games!

https://atarigamer.com/articles/let-s-take-a-look-at-these-6-new-homebrew-games-for-atari-lynx

promo_screenshots.thumb.png.42452acacececef023137bbceec83d28.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
This kit sounded too good to be true, but it really is that easy to install. Still much cheaper than the competition and the graphics are very good. Don't think I will ever miss soldering all those mod wires!

Would be great to have an upgrade kit containing the flex cable and a mini pcb, with only the flex cable connector, to solder on the old screeen. I don't like to have all that cables soldered, that I can't easily disconnect If I need to open the lynx.

• Like 2

With the older design discontinued, I don't think we'll release a ribbon for it. We can release gerbers if you wanted to get a flex ribbon made up at oshpark (I think they do one off's? Our factory has a large MOQ). Could be trickly installing it with the ribbon hard soldered to the pcb first

I did the install and it took less then 15 min. I even did the one wire solder to get the back light button to work. I think the hardest part was connecting the ribbon cable to the display once you have everything installed. The cable was a little awkward to get at when you have the board in the case lined up. If the cable was a little longer I think it would be easier but the cable must be that length so it sits properly I think.

I just ordered another one and another flash card for one of my other Lynx.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2020 at 1:01 AM, LordKraken said:

Ok so I just need to look if the kit I havent installed yet has this zif socket, and if so, I can just order the ribbon and I'm all god for a solderless adventure? :)

The ribbons are for the Revision 5 PCB design, as Igor says, they're only for the new PCB design with the flex ribbon connector on board. The reason we have these as an optional extra is our previous order of flex ribbons from PCBWAY arrived with about half of them laser cut off center, resulting them being useless. We listed half the kits without ribbons, half with ribbons until we got hold of them to check for defects. These all turned out OK so we added the other half of the ribbons to the store for those that didn't manage to order one with the ribbon. The ribbons are in the store for those that ordered the soldered version of the Rev5, to convert it to solderless. If your PCB is NOT purple, they won't work on your PCB.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BennVenn said:

The ribbons are for the Revision 5 PCB design, as Igor says, they're only for the new PCB design with the flex ribbon connector on board. The reason we have these as an optional extra is our previous order of flex ribbons from PCBWAY arrived with about half of them laser cut off center, resulting them being useless. We listed half the kits without ribbons, half with ribbons until we got hold of them to check for defects. These all turned out OK so we added the other half of the ribbons to the store for those that didn't manage to order one with the ribbon. The ribbons are in the store for those that ordered the soldered version of the Rev5, to convert it to solderless. If your PCB is NOT purple, they won't work on your PCB.

Is this why my last order has a tracking number but no updates? It says it was shipped on the 8th, but the post office hasn't received it yet. I usually get tracking updates the next day and it is over a week now. Last few orders only took a week and a hale from when I receive the tracking to when they arrive.

12 hours ago, thefred said:

Is this why my last order has a tracking number but no updates? It says it was shipped on the 8th, but the post office hasn't received it yet. I usually get tracking updates the next day and it is over a week now. Last few orders only took a week and a hale from when I receive the tracking to when they arrive.

I've been away since mid last week helping family move interstate. I'm back and working on filling orders sitting on my bench. I'll be heading away again on the 23rd. You're welcome to get in touch through email, discord etc if you're concerned about your order. Discord is our primary social channel and we post updates on shipments/pre-orders/delays there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
It's been quite a while since I've written an article on Atari Gamer so when I was sent details of this small event held in the Basque Country, I was quite excited. It's great to see a group of people still getting together and playing some Lynx games!
Anyone else planning a Lynx get-together event/party?

153759891_783862668882093_2065737062287529850_n.thumb.jpg.71c51fdea7508ed19ff3df24b9d255a7.jpg