IGNORED

Scramble (5200 Conversion)

nobody

I felt a bit sad about the response as I think I was really really careful with my criticism and gave a clear reason why I had these feelings about it....

It would be great that instead of saying: "You don't like it, do it better yourself" you might actually give my thought a bit of consideration....maybe your opinion still differs, well then that's fine with me...I am not capable of programming stuff like this....and you don't hear me complaining as it's given away free AND is simply an amazing quality game.

I also got a PM about this and don't see any reason why I wouldn't share my answer here:

Hello {kiwilove],

I think I made it very very clear that I totally LOVE the game.

And I don't have any criticism on the shape of the ship at all !

But the animation of the cockpit really looks...weird... I just can't help it.....just MHO.

But that's a taste thing....

However, when the animation starts getting in the way of the gameplay I think it is sad...because it hurts an almost perfect game.

In the tunnels, you need to coordinate pixel-perfect sometimes at tight spots.
Having your ship in a "steady shape" will give the player a fixed reference....in other words, you know what can...or can not be done...

When you crash into a wall or anything else you KNOW it is your fault because you didn't steer well enough...but
the rotating of the end of the ship makes you feel treated unfair when you're in a tight corner and hit a wall because of the rotation.....

I love the design of the sprite, absolutely nothing wrong with it, but I'd just like it to "keep still"....just MHO and I'm going to have to do whatever I am given by geniuses such as you as I am absolutely not capable of creating games like this.

In classic arcade gaming...it often comes to pixel-control and this is one of those occasions.

Again: I absolutely love the animations of all the enemies...this indeed adds to the game a lot and it doesn't hurt the game mechanics a bit...

O well....there's stuff like highway bridges collapsing, cancer and weird world leaders....it isn't that important....

André

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

Good grief... "then do something better yourself" had a question mark after it, it was not an directive for you. The offer's there for "someone to come up with a better working design".

And if you "don't see any reason why I wouldn't share my answer here" the reason is lack of context for everyone else... where is the full conversation... airing PMs in public ain't gonna side people with you (lest you do that to them one day).

We've recently seen where this leads to with Stunt Car Racer and so I'm glad you have realised "it isn't that important".

• Like 1

Harvey, its all good mate...We love the game, it wasn't a critique, just a question and it was even addressed that the look was a choice or possibly down to tech limitations (which it was) but I think its just that the game screams scramble so much and is soooooo damn good that there was a little wonder about the ships look compared to the direct closeness and utter super duper-ness of the game..

Its actually high praise to be honest, there's no nit picks, its just a simple "any reason why" and to be honest if that's the most anti comment out there re yours and Paul's work then you can rest easy knowing the adoring public lapped up that game..

Seriously, there's some unrest on the forum that might be spreading in to other threads that really does not need to happen, its making some uneasy..

Lets all relax, just remember there's an ignore option...Shame though...

Paul..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 3

Amazing job and I really enjoy it.

Thanks a lot for releasing it.

The thread is full of this, you guys should be so proud...We can't get enough of the game....What's coming next ;) (ooops, used a smiley..Bad man )

Paul and Harvey, we bow before your creation :)

• Like 4

Good grief... "then do something better yourself" had a question mark after it, it was not an directive for you. The offer's there for "someone to come up with a better working design".

And if you "don't see any reason why I wouldn't share my answer here" the reason is lack of context for everyone else... where is the full conversation... airing PMs in public ain't gonna side people with you (lest you do that to them one day).

We've recently seen where this leads to with Stunt Car Racer and so I'm glad you have realised "it isn't that important".

There were some further PM's between Harvey and me and just want to say we're OK. Indeed, like Wrathchild mentions, I interperted that sentence incorrectly. This is the risk of text-only communication and the same probably applies to whatever I write (with the added "bonus" of not being a native English speaker).

If there is something that I _don't_ want is to people "side"by me or something like that....this was not intended to start some silly "war"....it was just something I felt that made the game score a 99% instead of 100%....which it could.

Thanks to Mclaninc too....you worded what I fail to word ;)

Edited by Level42
  • Like 2

1) it looks.....weird. The rotating backside isn't too bad to watch, but the cockpit.....what's going on in there ? :D :D Sorry but it looks like a goose flying with it's head bobbing constantly....it really is weird...never saw a spaceship do that ;)

Seriously: Scramble is not a game that tries to be funny, but this animation makes the ship look laughable.....

I would say that is a matter of taste as there are comments elsewhere that single out the ship design as being "cool". I like it, it looks anime inspired to me.

2) the rotation of the backside (and in lesser sense the bobbing of the cockpit) makes it a bit "random" when you might hit something. F.I. you could move close to the ground or a building when the ship is very small vertically, but a quarter of a second later it "spreads it's wings" and becomes much taller vertically which may well make you hit something.... this is especially true in the narrow tunnels in the city....

You say "narrow tunnels"... Wide narrow tunnels or Normal narrow tunnels? The default should be Normal tunnels on the A8 version; reach them and find that which you desire.

I did not think this was necessary with Wide tunnels since you have so much more leeway.

I can add a cheat code that will put the ship into tunnel mode. That way most people will play the game with the graphics as Harvey intended but the option is there for those that really don't like it.

• Like 1

Well I can’t stop playing this - bloody excellent, a really lovely piece of work in every way.

Graphics are great, game pace is spot on, quite challenging but that’s a good thing since it keeps me coming back to have one more go.

You both should be very proud of this conversion, it’s really great!

sTeVE

P.S. As I tend to use emulators these days I found that the 5200 version does not play in RetroArch with the Atari800 core, but the xex version does just fine, the 5200 version plays under OpenEmu perfectly...

• Like 3

You say "narrow tunnels"... Wide narrow tunnels or Normal narrow tunnels? The default should be Normal tunnels on the A8 version; reach them and find that which you desire.

OMG....I feel like the most stupid A8 fan on the face of the earth........dear ground, please open up and swallow me !!!

Insert tons of shame and feeling stupid like a moron..... I didn't even notice the rotation actually stops at the tunnel level........OK guys all have a big laugh at me now, I fully deserve it !! :-o :-o :woozy:

However......I would actually LOVE it if you could do that Paul....the rotation is also a bit of a thing at the level where the rocks/asteroids/whatevertheyare flie horizontally at you. I always "hide" at the lower part of the screen which also makes it possible to shoot some stuff there.... only going up a bit to go over the peaks and quickly back to as low as possible again. This is an excellent survival strategy (I think...about the only one), but here too...the "edges are narrow" and the rotation can make you "just"hit (or miss) the peaks...or rocks/asterois/whatevertheare.... :)

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

Well I can’t stop playing this - bloody excellent, a really lovely piece of work in every way.

Graphics are great, game pace is spot on, quite challenging but that’s a good thing since it keeps me coming back to have one more go.

You both should be very proud of this conversion, it’s really great!

sTeVE

P.S. As I tend to use emulators these days I found that the 5200 version does not play in RetroArch with the Atari800 core, but the xex version does just fine, the 5200 version plays under OpenEmu perfectly...

Are you only Mac or no way to use / want to use windows?

Altirra works superbly for both the 5200 and computer version..

Yeah I know not every one likes windows..

OMG....I feel like the most stupid A8 fan on the face of the earth........dear ground, please open up and swallow me !!!

Insert tons of shame and feeling stupid like a moron..... I didn't even notice the rotation actually stops at the tunnel level........OK guys all have a big laugh at me now, I fully deserve it !! :-o :-o :woozy:

However......I would actually LOVE it if you could do that Paul....the rotation is also a bit of a thing at the level where the rocks/asteroids/whatevertheyare flie horizontally at you. I always "hide" at the lower part of the screen which also makes it possible to shoot some stuff there.... only going up a bit to go over the peaks and quickly back to as low as possible again. This is an excellent survival strategy (I think...about the only one), but here too...the "edges are narrow" and the rotation can make you "just"hit (or miss) the peaks...or rocks/asterois/whatevertheare.... :)

You can avoid them in the middle half of the screen, as well, but it takes your full attention.

Are you only Mac or no way to use / want to use windows?

Altirra works superbly for both the 5200 and computer version..

Yeah I know not every one likes windows..

I have Altirra, Atari800 both running on OSX - and yes the 5200 version works fine in both.

However I use a custom Attractmode FE on OSX to access RetroArch as a command line - cos I like a pretty graphical UI that you can use a joypad to navigate. So I usually prefer to use that where possible, I also have Kat5200 under OSX accessed from the same FE, just not tested Scramble yet ?

OpenEmu on OSX is fab, but it only does 5200 ?

Altirra is a nice Emu, just not good for a couch experience IMHO.

I also use Launchbox on windows as a FE and that is super easy to customise for launching games, just select the box art to play, all with a joypad - on windows I use Atari800 standalone and the RetroArch 800 core with it, again Altirra is less suitable to use that way in my experience.

However I do admit Altirra is the best emulator, just for me not the best emulator to use with a FE sadly...

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack

Yes, know what you mean hence I use a Gamebase or the gamepack I was involved in for the pictures and game picking, just seems a nice mix...

Good luck with the frontend, as for what is the best, technically yes Altirra is great emu but an alternative package that gives you a bit more fun is best for you..Horses for courses...

Edited by Mclaneinc

• 3 weeks later...

It's indeed a pretty decent arcade conversion to the Atari.

Using a Sega Genesis gamepad this is just WOW.

I beg to differ - that it is MORE than a pretty decent arcade conversion.

Here is a video posted - that shows more than what other videos have so far shown...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbktSgCMsio&t=609s

(and still there is a bit more to be seen - that some long play video will eventually showcase...)

It is certainly not an easy game to play through - just like the arcade game - and I do suck at playing it.

I always thought there was something really good about the Genesis/MegaDrive - would not have guessed - it would be it's controller!

Harvey

Edited by kiwilove
  • Like 4

Lol the best thing about the Megadrive is the controller :)

Never had one for long, played comix Zone which I love and roll of the drums....Sonic..(shocker I know), nice but the YM Synth sound played havoc with my tinnitus....Never had the controller down to much, even jokingly :)

But I also think the Atari Scramble is nigh on perfect, only the cosmetic tech difference / limitation on the ships looks which is still dead funky in a Space 1999 way (as noted)..

There's been 3 rock hard great arcade conversions recently as well as Sheddy's superb Space Harrier in Time Pilot, Scramble and Bosconian and others that I dare say I've forgotten.......Its been a great time for Atari 8 bit software in here..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

And rumor has it we have a good number more on the way ;)

Keep at everyone, many more and wonderful things on the horizon!

Thank you for your marvels and persistence, it's turning out to be some of the best software we've ever seen! Let's give a shout to how freakin' good the gameplay has been as well!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I would probably castrate (cut offending tracks) a Mega Drive controller before using it on the Atari as well as the Commode, depending on how the paddle inputs are read and whether the chip that handles the paddles likes to get 5V input. Using a Master System gamepad should be safe though, as it doesn't multiplex signals like the Mega Drive ones do. YMMV and it might work for shorter periods of playing.

• Like 1

Please can someone confirm if this 6 Button Sega Genesis Controller is ok to use on the Atari?

I probably should have checked before ordering it but we're about to play Scramble in the High Score Club along with Vanguard :)

I use my OEM 6 button Sega controller on my 800XL and other Atari consoles without a hitch. I cannot speak for this specific new one but I do know that the new one made by Hyperkin requires a slight modification in order to get it to function correctly on the 7800.

• Like 1

Just for fun I loaded Scramble onto my XEGS. Unfortunately I lack the keyboard, so I'm currently stuck with default options, and I understand that asking for support of the Select and Option buttons might be asking for too much.

Since it has been clarified that the Atari computers are immune to any side effects from Sega gamepads, I suppose I could use it as well in order to drop bombs, which otherwise is impossible on a XEGS setup like mine.

• Like 1

I create a conversion of "Scramble" from 5200 - hope Playsoft won't be to angry about that ;)

see:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/281372-scramble-5200/

F-AMAZING port (!!!)

Sort of Phobos / Caverns-of-Mars smooth scrolling, combined with Chris Murray's graphical-detail style (!)

Impressive work, by any means!

Edited by Faicuai