IGNORED

Nuon Rotary controllers are ready!

coleshores

$50 for the board to build yourself(Its easy, like wiring up a arcade cabinet, just time consuming and the spinner is about $100 for a good one) or we can construct a controller from scratch for $300.

Lee Olivares(Eltoozero, the creator) is hand crafting them like he did with his Yak Spinner prototype. They will look nice
These boards also contain a digital input as well so you can controll games like Iron Soldier 3.
let me know
Cole

Edited by coleshores
  • Like 2

$50 for the board to build yourself(Its easy, like wiring up a arcade cabinet, just time consuming and the spinner is about $100 for a good one) or we can construct a controller from scratch for $300.

Lee Olivares(Eltoozero, the creator) is hand crafting them like he did with his Yak Spinner prototype. They will look nice

These boards also contain a digital input as well so you can controll games like Iron Soldier 3.

let me know

Cole

Your post is practically invisible in the dark theme.

• Like 1

Truly amazing. Reposted this on the Nuon thread.

Yes I will be picking one of these up soon. So $300 for the whole shebang? Might be worth it all the parts considered, and the onboard Nuon chip.

So you can control Iron Soldier 3 with this? Curious how that works. Spinner for left and right with the movement forward and backward being the control buttons?

Truly amazing. Reposted this on the Nuon thread.

Yes I will be picking one of these up soon. So $300 for the whole shebang? Might be worth it all the parts considered, and the onboard Nuon chip.

So you can control Iron Soldier 3 with this? Curious how that works. Spinner for left and right with the movement forward and backward being the control buttons?

The board can be configured during the time of creation to be either digital or rotary. Not both, unfortunately.

You'd let us know if you'd like a board that is configured for digital, or for rotary or a controller for one or the other.

The 300 is with a very nice spinner, but if someone would like an all digital controller we could accommodate that as well.

As far as the boards go, let us know wither or not you'd prefer a digital or rotary configuration. At $50 each, its very affordable over

what Nuon controllers are going on Ebay for those handy in DIY.

• Like 1

The board can be configured during the time of creation to be either digital or rotary. Not both, unfortunately.

You'd let us know if you'd like a board that is configured for digital, or for rotary or a controller for one or the other.

The 300 is with a very nice spinner, but if someone would like an all digital controller we could accommodate that as well.

As far as the boards go, let us know wither or not you'd prefer a digital or rotary configuration. At $50 each, its very affordable over

what Nuon controllers are going on Ebay for those handy in DIY.

Got two more questions, apologies :D but just interested in probably picking up at least a rotary board here in a bit.

1) The digital configuration would allow you to convert another controller? How would you connect up another controller. (I was thinking it was the USB slot I but realized that is probably for the next question...) And is the digital configuration for regular game play?

2) The Nuon requires a cable that is similar to but not quite a USB type cable. I imagine (correct me if I'm wrong) that the cable to that connects to the Nuon is connected to the USB slot on the board. Is it hard to find that cable?

Given the Polyface chip on the PCB, I assume they're cannibalizing existing Nuon controllers, so they're probably reusing the original cables as well.

(Which is a bit sad considering the low quantities of Nuon hardware that exist, but there's probably no other good solution.)

Edited by Zerosquare

Got two more questions, apologies :D but just interested in probably picking up at least a rotary board here in a bit.

1) The digital configuration would allow you to convert another controller? How would you connect up another controller. (I was thinking it was the USB slot I but realized that is probably for the next question...) And is the digital configuration for regular game play?

2) The Nuon requires a cable that is similar to but not quite a USB type cable. I imagine (correct me if I'm wrong) that the cable to that connects to the Nuon is connected to the USB slot on the board. Is it hard to find that cable?

That's an excellent question!

We seriously lucked out that the Nuon's controller port happens to mate with a 4pin mini firewire cable so we are using those.

• Like 3

Given the Polyface chip on the PCB, I assume they're cannibalizing existing Nuon controllers, so they're probably reusing the original cables as well.

(Which is a bit sad considering the low quantities of Nuon hardware that exist, but there's probably no other good solution.)

That's not the case at all otherwise we would have sent out hacked up controllers years ago and called it a day.

We happen to have a near limitless supply of raw Polyface chips, which happens to be my main contribution to the project. Lee Oliveres(Eltoozero) had a near complete PCB design, and prototype Yak Spinner prototype when I reached out to him. Since his biggest block has been acquiring the Polyface themselves, he was then able to continue to refine the design for public consumption. Once finished we had final board design, then manufactured.

At this point we can create as many controllers as we need.

• Like 2

That's an excellent question!

We seriously lucked out that the Nuon's controller port happens to mate with a 4pin mini firewire cable so we are using those.

That's excellent! And those should be fairly easy to find.

So how do you connect up controllers for digital config and can those be used for regular gameplay?

That's excellent! And those should be fairly easy to find.

So how do you connect up controllers for digital config and can those be used for regular gameplay?

They connect using inexpensive plunger Happ style switches. Something from Aliexpress would do:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/6pcs-lot-Happ-Style-Arcade-Buttons-with-Micro-Switches-Push-Button-for-Jamma-MAME-Games-Parts/32869698435.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Arcade-Game-Joystick-Controller-Competition-8-Way-Fight-Stick-Accessories/32903778002.html

These switch components are wired up to leads coming from a slide on header on the board it's self. :)

Also... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Arcade-stick-with-8-actuation-buttons-rocker-street-fighter-computer-arcade-joystick-game-controller-for-USB/1168292588.html may work as a basis since they appear to use the same kind of Happ style mechanical switches if anyone is interested in fast tracking one using on of our boards. I haven't modded one of these myself so don't hold me to wither or not it will work.

I'd contact the supplier(Marco at Timeharvest on here and ask him).

Edited by coleshores
  • Like 1

coleshores > oh, cool :)

Were did you get the chips from? Is there a warehouse somewhere with lots of unsold Nuon stuff?

Yeah, the stuff has been sitting in a warehouse for about 15 years.

We took a gamble, ordering a small amount of them for testing. We figured it was an inventory error so when they actually arrived and tested as working in his circuit design we couldn't believe it ourselves!

• Like 3

I live in the UK. I have found a company (arcadeworlduk.com) that sells a 'Spintrack USB Arcade Spinner Unit' for £52.20 including VAT. Would one of these be suitable for your board? They sell knobs and flyweights, too. Unfortunately they are currently out of stock.

Are you in the USA? Would you ship one of your boards to the UK? I have bought from the US before with no problems.

I don't have the tools to make a controller box but might be able to get help from a friend. Anyone got an idea for hacking something existing to use as a controller box? I have had a quick look on Amazon for a plastic diy project box but they look a bit small (200mm x 120mm x 75mm).

Got any rough dimensions needed for a controller box?

• 4 weeks later...

I live in the UK. I have found a company (arcadeworlduk.com) that sells a 'Spintrack USB Arcade Spinner Unit' for £52.20 including VAT. Would one of these be suitable for your board? They sell knobs and flyweights, too. Unfortunately they are currently out of stock.

Are you in the USA? Would you ship one of your boards to the UK? I have bought from the US before with no problems.

I don't have the tools to make a controller box but might be able to get help from a friend. Anyone got an idea for hacking something existing to use as a controller box? I have had a quick look on Amazon for a plastic diy project box but they look a bit small (200mm x 120mm x 75mm).

Got any rough dimensions needed for a controller box?

Ill let Lee go over details with you since he is the one building them. Spintrak will work fine with these boards, and we are using the same design that Spintrak for the controller it's self.

Just let me know your email address in a PM and ill add you to our list and provide his contact information.