IGNORED

Nuon Rotary controllers are ready!

coleshores

I don't have the tools to make a controller box but might be able to get help from a friend. Anyone got an idea for hacking something existing to use as a controller box? I have had a quick look on Amazon for a plastic diy project box but they look a bit small (200mm x 120mm x 75mm).

I made a comment a few spots up that has a couple of Aliexpress controllers which should work great for this. :) Ive bought from the seller, Marco several times. He uses authetic arcade plunger style micro switches in his gear which should wire up nicely to the boards.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

$50 for the board to build yourself(Its easy, like wiring up a arcade cabinet, just time consuming and the spinner is about $100 for a good one) or we can construct a controller from scratch for $300.

Lee Olivares(Eltoozero, the creator) is hand crafting them like he did with his Yak Spinner prototype. They will look nice

These boards also contain a digital input as well so you can controll games like Iron Soldier 3.

let me know

Cole

Hi Cole - Im interested in the board (possibly 2).

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, Relicgamer said:

Do you know if anyone has built an adapter that can convert the nuon to usb?

There is a special chip in the nuon controllers, and there is no adapter as far as I know. Your best source of info is nick as he spend years searching on infos on trying to make a rotary run on the nuon. So as far as I know this board is the only device that can make controllers run on nuon aside from the original controllers, but you won't be able to just plug a usb controller in there. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2020 at 3:01 PM, Relicgamer said:

Are these still available 

I still look forward to these, but when these became "available" it must have been a very soft release.

Would like to try these one day however.   It's great seeing the Nuon get some love.

• Like 1

Just snagged a logitech action pad new never opened off Ebay.  Lucked out ot was only a 100 bucks. The TPI steath was there too but sold quick. Cool thing is I now have the pc version of tue logitech action pad and the nuon. So I'll open them both up and take pictures to show the differences. Just for reference purposes.  Either way I can use the pc controller for parts if I ever need to. Also thought of using a ir remote for the Toshiba and retrofitting it into a controller as a wireless unit for games that worked with the remote control.  But I haven't tried seeing how the remote really works.  

• Like 1

I just won and ebay bid for the "Samsung N501 Nuon" system... I use to have the Toshiba version before I sold it some years back. I had the controllers and everything, but I had priorities at the time I sold it. I kind of wish I'd kept the Toshiba DVD player especially the game controllers; not quite sure where to find those, but I'll be looking out of some.

My Nuon System.jpg

PICT2019.JPG

PICT1970.JPG

PICT1952.JPG

• Like 3

The only time I have played the Nuon was at E3 ages ago. I wandered into the Nuon display room(it was in a separate area, not on the main floors) and spent 30-40 minutes checking it out. I walked out thinking, never is gonna take off. Now it is kinda of a weird piece of gaming history and I want to check it out again.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 10:54 PM, PeterG said:

The Logitech controller for the nuon isn't a very good controller. Also the analog stick is broken the way it is. So if someone can make a controller work with the nuon, better pick a good one.:)

So I just got a logitech action pad new old stock still in all the packaging.  Tried tempest 3000 with the action pad.  Have to say the analog stick works as smooth as butter.  Ive seen videos where some get stuck maybe thise were defective.  Of course as with anything only time will tell. I will say this the stick on the pc version seems smooth as well.  It to doesn't get stuck. I guess all else fails if my nuon controllers analog stick bits it there is the pc version I can use as  parts. One thing is that this game definitely needs a rotating pad not a d pad or stick. But in total I'm into all of it for about $190.

$50 for the Toshiba dvd player 

$20 for tempest 

$115 logitech action pad 

$20 for a broken Toshiba dvd player 

Which I managed to get working.  Is got a bad gear thats on the motor that moves the laser.  Still sorting it out.

1 hour ago, Relicgamer said:

So I just got a logitech action pad new old stock still in all the packaging.  Tried tempest 3000 with the action pad.  Have to say the analog stick works as smooth as butter.  Ive seen videos where some get stuck maybe thise were defective.  Of course as with anything only time will tell. I will say this the stick on the pc version seems smooth as well.  It to doesn't get stuck. I guess all else fails if my nuon controllers analog stick bits it there is the pc version I can use as  parts. One thing is that this game definitely needs a rotating pad not a d pad or stick. But in total I'm into all of it for about $190.

$50 for the Toshiba dvd player 

$20 for tempest 

$115 logitech action pad 

$20 for a broken Toshiba dvd player 

Which I managed to get working.  Is got a bad gear thats on the motor that moves the laser.  Still sorting it out.

It's not broken in the way that it gets stuck, but it doesn't allow full movement. In tempest you probably don't notice because it is just left and right (and I don't know if it slower than with the d-pad) but for example in Merlin racing trying to turn around a corner the analog Stick won't let you turn as far left and right as with the digital left and right. The plastic opening is too narrow and the stick would need more freedom of movement to let you steer all the way. I hope that description makes sense.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 11:15 PM, madperry said:

I found a Nuon Samsung player in a thrift store today for a fiver. Was excited until I came to realize that Tempest 3000 doesnt seem to be available ANYWHERE. Hope I can find one. Would be interested in buying one of these controllers if I can.

You can get reproductions on Etsy.  Waaaaay cheaper options that trying to get an original on ebay these days.

I'd pick up a Nuon if/when i see one in a thrift store someday (it's bound to happen!)  but my understanding is the big problem is that controllers basically don't exist for these things. 

Surely someone can come up with a viable solution; or adapt another controller to work with a Nuon? Is there any special technology in the machines that makes this cost-prohibitive or extra challenging to do? 

EDIT: Just saw above their is a special chip.....great...lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

You can get reproductions on Etsy.  Waaaaay cheaper options that trying to get an original on ebay these days.

I'd pick up a Nuon if/when i see one in a thrift store someday (it's bound to happen!)  but my understanding is the big problem is that controllers basically don't exist for these things. 

Surely someone can come up with a viable solution; or adapt another controller to work with a Nuon? Is there any special technology in the machines that makes this cost-prohibitive or extra challenging to do? 

EDIT: Just saw above their is a special chip.....great...lol

I found the dvd units are not to badly priced.  Its just those pesky controllers that are gold lol. But thats why I kept looking everyday on ebay. 1 was on auction but went for a 230 bucks.  I lucked out 2 controllers popped up and were $100 each buy it now.  And were both brand new.  So it pays to keep looking.  And your right on the reproduction games I bought tempest and iron soldier $20 each. And I'm cool with them not being originals. Infact I'm glad someone does this. Ive had 3do game go bad and a steel battalion disk off Ebay work but only on 1 of the 3 original xbox's I have.  You can actually see the starting of disk rot. Unfortunately cds do fail and have repros allows me to play with spending 400 to 800 on one old game. 

Edited by Relicgamer
  • Like 2

I have one of the Samsung DVD players the N501 I think it is. Some of the game s on it were on other systems as well, but the real deal for owning it would be for Tempest 3000 basically. Merlin's Racing is actually on the PS1 as "Rascal Racers" and then Iron Soldier 3 is also on the PS1 as well, Ballistic is on PS1 too. Otherwise there isn't really much going on for the NUON aside from Tempest 3000. I have burned all the games for the Nuon and honestly the Tempest 3000 is not all that good IMO. Tempest 2000 for the Jaguar and the Saturn are way better, plus the issue I have is that there was no memory card for NUON so it does not save your high scores, which is the main thing about Tempest is being able to beat your score!

On the controller side, when I got mine I bought an HPI Warrior controller (the boomerang one) and the guy charged $80 for that. It seems to work nice but does not have the analog stick. The issue with that is he gave me a legit Freefall 3050AD game and that one is basically uncontrollable without the analog controller. 

84330226_124611735501096_3772101456308469760_n.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 10:47 AM, UHATEIT said:

I have one of the Samsung DVD players the N501 I think it is. Some of the game s on it were on other systems as well, but the real deal for owning it would be for Tempest 3000 basically. Merlin's Racing is actually on the PS1 as "Rascal Racers" and then Iron Soldier 3 is also on the PS1 as well, Ballistic is on PS1 too. Otherwise there isn't really much going on for the NUON aside from Tempest 3000. I have burned all the games for the Nuon and honestly the Tempest 3000 is not all that good IMO. Tempest 2000 for the Jaguar and the Saturn are way better, plus the issue I have is that there was no memory card for NUON so it does not save your high scores, which is the main thing about Tempest is being able to beat your score!

On the controller side, when I got mine I bought an HPI Warrior controller (the boomerang one) and the guy charged $80 for that. It seems to work nice but does not have the analog stick. The issue with that is he gave me a legit Freefall 3050AD game and that one is basically uncontrollable without the analog controller. 

84330226_124611735501096_3772101456308469760_n.jpg

Very nice. Ive read that the n501 is great for homebrew games but not 100% on what titles there is available. I would love to try out the freefall. For me its just part of having a bit of gaming history. Also wasn't the nuon more powerful than a ps1? Wonder if thr games look any different on the 2 systems ps1 vs nuon? 

8 hours ago, Relicgamer said:

Very nice. Ive read that the n501 is great for homebrew games but not 100% on what titles there is available. I would love to try out the freefall. For me its just part of having a bit of gaming history. Also wasn't the nuon more powerful than a ps1? Wonder if thr games look any different on the 2 systems ps1 vs nuon? 

When it was being worked on, WAAY back in time when Jeff Minter was dropping hints about a mysterious Project X (and Merlin), it was touted as the N64 killer.  The chipset was supposed to originally feature 8 cores but was only released with 4.  Games which were on both PSX and Nuon played better on PSX but looked a tad smoother on the Nuon.  The final released machines in Europe, the Samsung DVD N-504 and 505 featured version 3 of the chip, which ran at double the clock rate of version 2.  Very quick level summary, but it's been almost 20 years since I really messed with Nuon.  Damn how time flies.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...