IGNORED

Horizon Ram Disk

9640News

OMG I loved the TIM and SOB combo. Also SAMS and SCSI hard drives was how I did most of my work in 80 columns using that 128 of VDP for single DV80 files.

Going back to insane number of small chained DV80 files was like passing stones thru my pee hole. Slow and painful.

My gawd trying to remember which file of 12 had my routine to fix was just so hard vs one single file with search keyword.

• 2 weeks later...

Beery, MENU v7.39 is probably what you want. It is encoded to work with ROS 8. This is one reason I did not push the ROS version beyond 8; it would break other programs.

There is a 40 column BOOT that might also work with the Horizon; I have not tested it in that manner. Supposedly it catalogs based on the level 3 IO, which would work well with TIPI.

I did not find V7.39, but I did find V7.3. I installed it on the Ramdisk, and the Menu program that came with it works. I can load TIPI.NET.TELNET from the Horizon menu option.

If there is a complete V8.3 or higher version available for release, let me know where. Otherwise, I guess V7.3 is it for me.

Beery

Here's the current lay of the land:

ROS/CFG 8.14F, latest released by Bud/OPA. This is the most familiar, stable release.

ROS/CFG 8.34, latest version I've released. Based on reconciled source code for 8.12/8.14F. Fixes and capacity increase are the most notable changes.

MENU - 7.39 is the last formal release by JJ. Hit Fctn-8 or V, I think that shows you the version in MENU.

BOOT - various versions in 40 and 80 columns

9640 menu - variant of the Geneve menu people used with GPL. Standalone and updated to work with the F18A and V9938.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I found out that the latest drivers for the Horizon RAMdisk don't work with the p-code card. Earlier did, but in the last versions, some clever tricks have been applied in the DSR, to save memory and/or speed things up. These tricks rely on specific behavior (memory usage) in the console's DSRLNK routine, things that aren't in the DSR interface specification. The p-code card does follow the specification, but implements it in a different way, so bypassing that specification fails.

Very good example of why one should avoid shortcuts in the interface between different software modules.

It is the ROS that fails. I wrote my own ROS, an extremely basic one, only allowing sector access, but in the specified way. Then it works with the p-system. So it's not the card hardware or similar that fails.

• Like 1

I found out that the latest drivers for the Horizon RAMdisk don't work with the p-code card. Earlier did, but in the last versions, some clever tricks have been applied in the DSR, to save memory and/or speed things up. These tricks rely on specific behavior (memory usage) in the console's DSRLNK routine, things that aren't in the DSR interface specification. The p-code card does follow the specification, but implements it in a different way, so bypassing that specification fails.

Very good example of why one should avoid shortcuts in the interface between different software modules.

It is the ROS that fails. I wrote my own ROS, an extremely basic one, only allowing sector access, but in the specified way. Then it works with the p-system. So it's not the card hardware or similar that fails.

You have made similar statements in other topics. Incompatibility with the p-code card does not mean the ROS is the problem.

Can you share more specifics about these tricks and shortcuts, and the specification failings?

Tim,

I downloaded last night the ROS814FARC file from Heatwave. The archive would not unarchive completely.

I was going to update the 7.xx version I had to the 8.14 as I saw an issue with MDM5 and the 7.xx version. After running MDM5 run the MENU program of 7.xx, MDM5 could no longer access floppy drives. Was hoping this was fixed in the 8.xx version as I saw notes in the README file indicating some fixes with the HFDC.

If anyone is aware of another location where the ROS814 (or higher) can be obtained, please let me know.

Beery

Tim,

I downloaded last night the ROS814FARC file from Heatwave. The archive would not unarchive completely.

I was going to update the 7.xx version I had to the 8.14 as I saw an issue with MDM5 and the 7.xx version. After running MDM5 run the MENU program of 7.xx, MDM5 could no longer access floppy drives. Was hoping this was fixed in the 8.xx version as I saw notes in the README file indicating some fixes with the HFDC.

If anyone is aware of another location where the ROS814 (or higher) can be obtained, please let me know.

Beery

Here is 814F

HRD814F.dsk

• Like 2

Tim,

Are you referring to the MENU or ROS? If it is a ROS issue and we can pinpoint the cause, I can incorporate a fix.

I am slowly getting some things back in order. Of course, seeing as how it took me 20 years to finish one of my utility programs recently, I won't make any promises ;)

Heatwave has some DF128 archive files that wreak havoc with file transfers. For BBS purposes, the better option is "always" to use the compressed (IF128) option. It has been 7 years since some of those files were uploaded so there is the chance a few could have succumbed to bit rot. Or, the file was corrupt all along and you are the first to encounter.

• Like 1

I am going to have to do a bit more research on this as I am getting some odd behavior. There may be a cabling issue in play as I have had the PEBox open and tried to pull one floppy out of the system so I could put the DREM in the bay besided the other floppy.

Between adding the TIPI, a HRD, and then the DREM, there has been a lot going on with that system.

Beery