IGNORED

is my gaming skill dying?

Easy when you don't play games on a regularly your skill goes out the window. I stopped playing for a couple of years because of personal issues, I am just starting to get them back. It is frustrating sometimes. That games I use to breeze through I am struggling to get past the first couple of levels.

• Like 1

Easy when you don't play games on a regularly your skill goes out the window. I stopped playing for a couple of years because of personal issues, I am just starting to get them back. It is frustrating sometimes. That games I use to breeze through I am struggling to get past the first couple of levels.

I feel your pain, and identify with this 100%.

(for the record since everyone was talking about it, i'll be 40 in october, lol)

• Like 1

I disagree. Not everyone here is old. I'm not even 40 yet for crying out loud!!!!

Ageist(and even Sexist) remarks and assumptions are why forums are a dying breed IMO.

Ask someone half your age or a little younger their thoughts of 40 (or up). My experience working with teens in theater: we're old. I'm 43 and my wife a little older than me, so hearing that is a kick in the self image department. Especially when a couple of those teens were her oldest daughters!

I'm finding my skill depends on the classic game I'm playing and what controller I'm using to play it. If I play NES games on a Wii with the Wiimote...ugh. Even with my small carnie hands, the Wiimote is too small. Put a Classic Controller Pro or an actual NES controller and my scores go up.

Recently I played Cool Spot on my modded SNES Mini. I tore through the first level and even ripped up the bonus stage. I haven't done that with a non-SNES controller in years. So the right equipment can also play a factor.

Except if you suck ;-)

• Like 1

Recently I played Cool Spot on my modded SNES Mini. I tore through the first level and even ripped up the bonus stage. I haven't done that with a non-SNES controller in years. So the right equipment can also play a factor.

Except if you suck ;-)

That's a friggin awesome game, but I prefer the Genesis version. It's what my hands are used to.

That's a friggin awesome game, but I prefer the Genesis version. It's what my hands are used to.

The Genesis version, to me, seemed a lot harder than the SNES one. It's like jumps and grabs had to be done with split-second precision. The balloon jumps and grabbing the strings on them were a PITA for me on Genesis.

The Genesis version, to me, seemed a lot harder than the SNES one. It's like jumps and grabs had to be done with split-second precision. The balloon jumps and grabbing the strings on them were a PITA for me on Genesis.

Yeah, I agree with that, but I learned to get very precise back in 1995 or 96 when I first played it. On the other hand, I was rewarded with (IMO) a much better version of the soundtrack. Tommy Tallarico (who wrote the Cool Spot soundtrack) seemingly loved it. Check out his comment in this YouTube video about the software. One of my high-school-era idols after reading about his career (up to the mid-90s) in an EGM or GameFan (I forget the magazine)

Yo! Thanks so much for the trip down memory lane! G.E.M.S. was definitely the best sound driver/editor that was made available to the general public during the first half of the 90's. I absolutely loved it... and this video really captured all of incredible stuff it could to for the time. Before G.E.M.S. (as the video rightly mentions)... we as composers/sound designers had almost nothing. So glad this video was made. It will hopefully be a part of video game history for many years to come. I wish more people documented stuff like this for future generations to learn about the challenges we faced in the early years. THANKS!! Amazing job!!

Edited by derFunkenstein

I got a big ol' boost of gamer pride today. It was a day that my step kids went to their dad's, so it was just me, my wife, our son and my daughter. After goibg to a pretty lame "festival", I took them to the Sheboygan Historical Museum to see their "Golden Age of Videogames" exhibit.

The arcade machines on display, from the collection of Bradley and Jessica Czech, were not on nor could you touch them but they had some machines in back people could play. That is where everyone went. So I sauntered up to one if the Multi-Cade machines, fired up Donkey Kong 3 and had a go. As the kids say, this was my "jam" back in the day. And I played, moves going quick, fingers smacking the action button as I worked to get DK to the top. I got to my usual score from BITD, aroubd the 60K range, but I kept going.

All in all, I went further on that game today than I ever did. Could be because it's emulated mixed with easy settings but dang it felt good to rack up a score of 166,900.

• Like 2

I doubt at 25 your skill is dying. It's probably just the amount of time you out into it, as others have already said. Something I haven't seen said yet, when you grow, your body physically changes size and shape (longer bones and larger muscles) so you may have to relearn how to play some stuff.

Welcome to the adult world and the problems that go with it. Now you got money and can get what interests you, but don't have the free time to devote to it :P

• Like 1

I doubt at 25 your skill is dying. It's probably just the amount of time you out into it, as others have already said. Something I haven't seen said yet, when you grow, your body physically changes size and shape (longer bones and larger muscles) so you may have to relearn how to play some stuff.

Welcome to the adult world and the problems that go with it. Now you got money and can get what interests you, but don't have the free time to devote to it :P

it's like that Twilight Zone episode 'Time Enough At Last', lol

I sincerely hope you're not saying my comment was either of those things. If you knew anything about me, you'd know I was about as far from either of those things as anyone gets. I was making a joke about being 20 years older than the OP, when he's already worried about being "old" at age 25. And I don't think it's a stretch to say that most others in this forum are about my same age.

I feel like what's making forums a dying breed is people taking offense to things they shouldn't.

Haha no I am not offended in general,but making the assumption that most people who post here are over 40 years old is kinda ignorant.

Actually what makes forums a dying breed imo, is that whole status quo "cliquey" mentality people develop on forums. Then when someone doesn't agree with

their mentality or calls them out, then that person gets ganged up upon by a bunch of "know-it-alls".

Lol I think that is lame!!!! And if forums want to survive ,that mentality needs to go. And yes sexism does exist on this website,and also other forums as well. (Something I hope will change! Because there are women like me who are very passionate about games) .Funny people will ignore that fact,but honestly I've had some rather disrespectful sexist remarks thrown at me well within the last 6 months here,and I didn't say anything to trigger such responses other than expressing my love and knowledge of videogames,and I happen to be close friends with Nolan Bushnell thank you very much!!! :) If I post on my status saying I'm gonna interview Nolan soon(which I am btw),I get mostly weird jealous trollish type responses,but if someone else(who is male) posts the same status as me they get all the respect in the world,go figure.

• Like 1

Haha no I am not offended in general,but making the assumption that most people who post here are over 40 years old is kinda ignorant.

Actually what makes forums a dying breed imo, is that whole status quo "cliquey" mentality people develop on forums. Then when someone doesn't agree with

their mentality or calls them out, then that person gets ganged up upon by a bunch of "know-it-alls".

Ok, but you were replying to me. If you have a beef with people on the forum here in general, or on the internet as a whole, that's fine - talk about that somewhere. I would suggest this thread is probably not the right place for it, but hey, up to you. But replying to me specifically with these beefs implies that you have a beef with me, and that's not called for. I was not talking specifically to you, I was not talking about you, and I couldn't really care less what sex, gender or age someone is. My reply that you had a problem with was in reference to the fact that the OP a) is afraid of being labeled "old" at age 25, and b) considers that label a negative thing. So he basically insulted a big part of the forum. You should be questioning his motivation, as I did; not mine.

• Like 1