IGNORED

XE Keyboard Upgrade: Worth It?

sixersfan105

New XEGS owner here, and it didn't take me long to learn first-hand how awful the keyboard is - so mushy with no feedback to speak of! With that said, has anyone purchased and installed the "improved silicone cups" upgrade from Best? Is it worth the $20 price tag? Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The attached picture is a screenshot from Best's site with a description of the upgrade...

post-47330-0-50547500-1533778338_thumb.jpeg

I have installed the Best Upgrade to my XEGS. Not much difference. Still mushy, I still mis-type because of it. I still prefer the XL keyboards. I love my XEGS, detached keyboard, but yuck, the keyboard blows. I wish I had a good old IBM Clicky, spring mechanical keyboard for my Ataris. Worth it? Well, only you can judge.

New XEGS owner here, and it didn't take me long to learn first-hand how awful the keyboard is - so mushy with no feedback to speak of! With that said, has anyone purchased and installed the "improved silicone cups" upgrade from Best? Is it worth the $20 price tag? Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The attached picture is a screenshot from Best's site with a description of the upgrade...

I had an old Dell SK-8135 in bad condition. I reused the cups in my 130XE keyboard. They did the trick. Feels like a real keyboard now. Gives a nice pop back feel.

• Like 2

I had an old Dell SK-8135 in bad condition. I reused the cups in my 130XE keyboard. They did the trick. Feels like a real keyboard now. Gives a nice pop back feel.

Really? I’ve got one of those sitting around. I hadn’t considered finding modern day keyboard guts to swap in with the XE. Hmmm. I wonder what else I got laying around that can be abused.

• Like 1

I got XE touch kits (or bags) and they are an improvement. $20 is expensive for what you're getting. That's my biggest issue with them. If you plan on typing a lot on it then yes it's worth it *if* you want to keep the original look of your XEGS setup. A PS2 keyboard would be nicer for typing of course.

Didn't best sell keyboard springs for the XEs as well?

yes, at least they did years and years ago. Back in the early 90's I upgraded my XE with the ST/TT keyboard replacement springs (actually you added them to the originals that they were bigger than so they fit over them) from Best Electronics. It made a decent improvement of the XE keyboard but it was still a far cry from the worst of the XL keyboards, not to mention 800 or nearly any other micro of the day with a real keyboard...maybe better than the Commodore Plus/4...in the end I ended up upgrading to my 1200XL and keyboard from my 130XE and never looked back.

yes, at least they did years and years ago. Back in the early 90's I upgraded my XE with the ST/TT keyboard replacement springs (actually you added them to the originals that they were bigger than so they fit over them) from Best Electronics. It made a decent improvement of the XE keyboard but it was still a far cry from the worst of the XL keyboards, not to mention 800 or nearly any other micro of the day with a real keyboard...maybe better than the Commodore Plus/4...in the end I ended up upgrading to my 1200XL and keyboard from my 130XE and never looked back.

There called "Mega Touch" and used on ST,XE and MAc I still have some some where, They realy helped the XE soft keyboards .