IGNORED

Replacing the 130XE MMU amd EMMU with GAL chips

morelenmir

I notice an old post which mentions it is possible to replace the MMU with a 16V8 GAL:

MMU Chip Needed

I have a couple of LATTICE GAL16V8D15LP chips handy. Would these do the job when programmed with the TL866A?

Also, is it just a case of swapping out the MMU and directly plugging in the GAL?

I ask because, doing the same with the EMMU seems to be possible as well:

https://www.atarimax.com/jindroush.atari.org/achemmu.html

However in that case it appears rather more convoluted, requiring the population of an empty header with a 74LS95/74F95 as well as shorting leg 15 of the GAL to ground.

For the sake of reference, this is the JEDEC proposed for the MMU:

mmupal.jed

and this for the EMMU:

co25953-gal.jed

Edited by morelenmir

Hello morelenmir

Jindroush found that information here on my Special Stuff Page. After studying the schematics for the gazillionth time years ago, I concluded that U35 was a 74LS95B. This was tested by Guus Assmann and Christopher Lang and confirmed. And I'm under the impression that the information in the JDEC file (which was put together by Chris) for the CO25953 has since been used for quite a few memory expansions.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 3

i found that burning an MMU was cost-effective but for the EMMU mod, it is cheaper to just buy a genuine one off ebay UK

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Atari-computer-16-DIP-IC-130XE-65XE-65-130-XE-C25953-20-EMMU-memory-IC-chip/152097265933?hash=item2369b4190d:g:cCoAAOSwCM5XPuiI

• Like 3

i found that burning an MMU was cost-effective but for the EMMU mod, it is cheaper to just buy a genuine one off ebay UK

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Atari-computer-16-DIP-IC-130XE-65XE-65-130-XE-C25953-20-EMMU-memory-IC-chip/152097265933?hash=item2369b4190d:g:cCoAAOSwCM5XPuiI

Ah, but then you miss out on all the fun of the chase!!! Seriously though, I can 100% confirm that the MMU JED and swap with a GAL16v8 works completely.

I have not done the EMMU yet because I am still waiting for the 74-series logic IC to arrive.

• Like 3

Except you haven't fully tested it yet grasshopper...

I thought so too, until I started a complex printing

project and where I have done it before and knew it

like the back of my hand, it would not start with the

GAL MMU in place. Suspicious, this might be the issue

a swap showed it was the case and the printing began.

They do work is the take away, but there can be timing

issues even with the best effort to match original and

exactly why my GAL failed to function in only this

mode is beyond my capabilities to find out about.

Just because it doesn't immediately take you to the

self test doesn't mean all is perfect. Wish I had a

conclusion to this story too but I don't.

• Like 1

Except you haven't fully tested it yet grasshopper...

I thought so too, until I started a complex printing

project and where I have done it before and knew it

like the back of my hand, it would not start with the

GAL MMU in place. Suspicious, this might be the issue

a swap showed it was the case and the printing began.

They do work is the take away, but there can be timing

issues even with the best effort to match original and

exactly why my GAL failed to function in only this

mode is beyond my capabilities to find out about.

Just because it doesn't immediately take you to the

self test doesn't mean all is perfect. Wish I had a

conclusion to this story too but I don't.

An excellent point!!! I only have an SIO2SD-USB to attempt printing through, but I will give it a shot.

My motivation to swap out the stock MMU was to potentially remove a source of graphical artefacting. Sadly, while--appearing--to work properly the GAL made no difference to the display so I will probably switch back to the original part before long anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone! In case someone is still looking for C25953 replacement in GAL please check my latest work: https://github.com/mikulski-lab/C25953-emmu/

It fully replicates C25953 so no external latch (74LS95) is required. The drawback is that is not fully 1:1 pin compatible, however if you go with GAL22v10 only a few wire bridges are required on top of the IC so it can be directly inserted into the IC socket on a motherboard.

mmu_22v10_real.jpg

mmu_22v10_wiring.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On 8/9/2018 at 6:20 PM, morelenmir said:

I notice an old post which mentions it is possible to replace the MMU with a 16V8 GAL:

MMU Chip Needed

I have a couple of LATTICE GAL16V8D15LP chips handy. Would these do the job when programmed with the TL866A?

Also, is it just a case of swapping out the MMU and directly plugging in the GAL?

I ask because, doing the same with the EMMU seems to be possible as well:

https://www.atarimax.com/jindroush.atari.org/achemmu.html

However in that case it appears rather more convoluted, requiring the population of an empty header with a 74LS95/74F95 as well as shorting leg 15 of the GAL to ground.

For the sake of reference, this is the JEDEC proposed for the MMU:

mmupal.jed 3.12 kB · 91 downloads

and this for the EMMU:

co25953-gal.jed 2.91 kB · 84 downloads

Hi, have tried this added a couple of 41464 ram chips, and programmed the GAL16V8B as the link instructed soldered pin 12 to gnd used pin 10 on the gal.

The link says to populate U35 using a 74LS95 but on my board this socket is already populated is the 4 memory chips version board.

But only got a black screen :(

14 hours ago, soviet said:

Hi, have tried this added a couple of 41464 ram chips, and programmed the GAL16V8B as the link instructed soldered pin 12 to gnd used pin 10 on the gal.

The link says to populate U35 using a 74LS95 but on my board this socket is already populated is the 4 memory chips version board.

But only got a black screen :(

The wiring shown in the above example was for a GAL22v10. For a GAL16V8B, you need to make the PCB adapter as provided in the GitHub site.

I'm not really sure why you are going to so much trouble - making an adapter board. In the 576NUC+ project I use a very inexpensive ATF16V8B-15PU ($0.86 a piece) to replace a stock XEGS MMU - no adapter or jumpering required - just plug it straight into the stock MMU socket. I don't see why this wouldn't also work for a standard XL/XE as well, assuming you use the JED that matches that.

I know this chip is programmable with the TL866II Plus, but I suspect it's also possible with the older version of this programmer (look under ATMEL).

Don't know about the EMMU though. Is that what the adapter board is for?

Edit: I just read back a few posts and apparently that is so if you use this same size chip for the EMMU. For the EMMU in the 576NUC+ I use one these: ATF22V10C-15PU ($1.61 a piece). However my EMMU application is not the same as a 130XE, it's for adding 512K of expanded memory.

• Like 3

@soviet does this 65xe work with 64K only without the EMMU parts installed, and before the upgrade attempts too? I see it has micron "mT" stock RAM, which might not be reliable...

Could be good to socket the original 2 drams and test the two new ones in their place too... I guess if you had another 130XE you could also test with an original EMMU chip as well to ensure the rest of the system is good...

22 hours ago, Mathy said:

Can you tell us what the difference is?

In the 576NUC+ I'm using a hybrid of @HiassofT and @tf_hh SRAM design. Entirely different than a 130XE's DRAM setup. As for details, some aspects have been covered in the "World's Smallest Atari" topic, and down the road the PLD files for the extended memory circuit will be added to that topic as well. That's about all I can say, because I'm not the architect of that aspect.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2020 at 11:40 AM, Barty said:

Hello everyone! In case someone is still looking for C25953 replacement in GAL please check my latest work: https://github.com/mikulski-lab/C25953-emmu/

It fully replicates C25953 so no external latch (74LS95) is required. The drawback is that is not fully 1:1 pin compatible, however if you go with GAL22v10 only a few wire bridges are required on top of the IC so it can be directly inserted into the IC socket on a motherboard.

I wonder if someone have check if this solution working as a worthy replacement versus the original custom ic from Atari? I mean without side effects in some programs like the one who referred before.

unless something has changed and this one is different, gal emmu also isn't 100%... second PIA mods fail. using the replacements I've tried so far, alond with other fun timing glitches. You can search AA and find some anecdotes and discussion about it. It will be great if this one slays those dragons.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Freddy is the cost reduced part, I'd just put the normal Atari memory management back in... the gal thing is as I stated a little bit off (unless something is different with the new offerings...) but so long as we can still choose which way to go on the PCB it really shouldn't matter anyway..

Edited by _The Doctor__

3 hours ago, santosp said:

I wonder if someone have check if this solution working as a worthy replacement versus the original custom ic from Atari? I mean without side effects in some programs like the one who referred before.

On the 576NUC+ project from Mytek, we are using programmed GAL chips to function as MMU and EMMU (Extended MMU). They work perfectly for these tasks on that platform. If properly programmed, a GAL replacement for the stock MMU should work well in an XL at least.

• Like 3