IGNORED

Fallout 4 Review

Rocket Man

I recently dove in with the GOTYE on the PS4 and am blown away. I'm a huge fan of the entire series, each for their own unique pros. I never completed 1 or 2, but had a blast with 1, and the amount of Role Playing available, was incredible. I adore 3 and New Vegas as they're two of my favorite games of all time.

4 has completely surprised me with the Building mechanic, I love it... when it's not glitching that is. :twisted: I really like that there is no limit to the Leveling, and that a player can eventually (around 260-280) max every Stat and Perk: I think that was a brilliant design choice, although I appreciate that 3 and NV (vanilla that is) make the player think harder on what to level up, and that one can't max their Stats and Perks if the 'wrong' choices are made when leveling.

The Gun play is fantastic and is definitely a step up from 3 (which I played on the PS3), even though I quite enjoy the clunky feeling of 3 and NV, as well as the slightly improved VATs mechanic. I like how the VATs mechanic has been changed in 4, to simply slow time instead of full on pausing, like it did in 3 and NV. The possibilities with the modding of weapons and armor seems endless to me, and I don't imagine it'll ever get old seeking more and more junk to fulfill my modding needs. :D

The Music seems to be pretty much the same thing as 3 and NV, but some of it reminds me of 1 for reasons I can't quite put my finger on. Sound is on point. I've read lots of folks being unimpressed with the Graphics: I disagree entirely and think that Bethesda did a marvelous job increasing the detail, and adding tons of color to the new world.

My main complaint is the size of the map... it feels much smaller than 3 and NV, and I really don't understand why Bethesda made 25% of the map water in the SE section. The map 'makes me feel' like I have tons to do, which is a prerequisite for an Open World Sandbox RPG, and I'm sure there are myriad locations to discover and plunder like in the previous games; so I'm fine with that.

What are your thoughts?

I'm new to the board, so if this topic has been done to death, and you feel obliged: please link me to a previous thread/s where this was discussed. Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I have 3,NV,and 4. I got really excited with 4. I actually bought a new gaming laptop just for it. I put some hours into it and realized that New Vegas is the better game. The amount of dialog and story lines is insane. You could play the game several times and have a totally different experience every time.

After I beat NV about 6 months ago I tried 4 again. The game wouldn't let me out of the house though so I gave up. Now im very interested in the NV mod for Fallout 4. That would be bad ass.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 3,NV,and 4. I got really excited with 4. I actually bought a new gaming laptop just for it. I put some hours into it and realized that New Vegas is the better game. The amount of dialog and story lines is insane. You could play the game several times and have a totally different experience every time.

After I beat NV about 6 months ago I tried 4 again. The game wouldn't let me out of the house though so I gave up. Now im very interested in the NV mod for Fallout 4. That would be bad ass.

That mod sounds cool... have you heard about Fallout Miami? It looks incredible!!! :D

I have had it for a few years now and I really dont care for it

the start of the game has a difficulty swagger of a drunken sailor and wastes a lot of time just getting to a freaking starting point, often kicking your butt on the way. Once you get onto the main story line it seems to go out of its way to divert you as much as humanly possible, where the previous games did not have to try, and its not that interesting, especially compared to NV or even 3 (the first couple times one plays 3 that is).

Finally the leveling system doesn't make much since (well it does but) since you can pretty much keep going forever the progress you make feel insignificant. I have gone for long periods of time forgetting its even there, just to dump a ton of points and feel like nothing really changed .... which defeats the point.

as far as the building and crafting, I rarely partake in that aspect of a game, as its just a tacked on mechanic to fluff out missing content. I am not playing the sims mixed with the entirely pointless turf war system of GTA SA ...its fallout

Edited by Osgeld

• 3 weeks later...

I have had it for a few years now and I really dont care for it

the start of the game has a difficulty swagger of a drunken sailor and wastes a lot of time just getting to a freaking starting point, often kicking your butt on the way. Once you get onto the main story line it seems to go out of its way to divert you as much as humanly possible, where the previous games did not have to try, and its not that interesting, especially compared to NV or even 3 (the first couple times one plays 3 that is).

Finally the leveling system doesn't make much since (well it does but) since you can pretty much keep going forever the progress you make feel insignificant. I have gone for long periods of time forgetting its even there, just to dump a ton of points and feel like nothing really changed .... which defeats the point.

as far as the building and crafting, I rarely partake in that aspect of a game, as its just a tacked on mechanic to fluff out missing content. I am not playing the sims mixed with the entirely pointless turf war system of GTA SA ...its fallout

I agree that the beginning on Survival mode can be an absolute bear. That is what made me fall in love with it though... I had to really work hard to get on my feet and build up some decent weapons and armor. Now I'm sitting at level 17 and I'm loving the hard work that I've put in. I've seen a lot of people say the Story is lackluster... I haven't made it to Diamond City yet, and I'm just about to clear out the Corvega Factory, so I'm really early in the story. I make my own side quests constantly, so I've been really busy with my playthrough thus far.

I can understand why you say that... completely. In vanilla FO3 and FONV, one has to put a lot more thought into their character creation because there are limited levels to achieve. I'm sure there's a mod for the PC that restores that feel. Honestly, I love and appreciate the new approach of the endless (well, 270+) levels for FO4, because it gives me the freedom to play, and have fun, without worrying about how to acquire a full 10 for my SPECIAL, and also that I'll be able to get all the Perks eventually. To me, it's a welcome change from the stiff feel of the leveling from 3 & NV. I hear where you're coming from though, and I do agree.

It's the same thing with not having to repair armor and weapons. In 3 & NV, it makes the game feel more 'RPGy', but it becomes a constant pain in the ass having to maintain everything. It is ironic that 'Survival' mode in FO4 didn't maintain this level of difficulty, considering how it makes sense that one would have to repair their items to keep them in working order... but I do appreciate the change-up, because it frees me to do other things with my time. Again, I'm sure there's a mod on the PC that can bring this mechanic back to FO4.

Again, I can understand this. It does detract from the main point of the game, but I am really enjoying the building aspect. It gives me a ton of room to role play, and that is making my experience an extremely positive one.

When I saw the trailer I thought it was a new Fallout. That one looks very good so far. Some day I need to get back into Fallout 4 to atleast try the mods

It looks so amazing. I will definitely have to get it in the future when it's all fixed up and ready to go. I literally waited until 2007 to play Morrowind on the PC, and I'm glad I did; because with mods, it made the game so much more amazing than the vanilla experience ever could have been.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, folks... I appreciate seeing what other Gamers think.

:cool:

Edited by Rocket Man