IGNORED

Which Console Design Would You Have Picked?

Bartsfam

I have a collection of some pretty obscure CV literature from the 1980's, from advertisements to presskits, to various order forms and CV related contests from the 1980's.

I recently purchased on EBay a publicity photo, from Coleco showcasing the console, and on the back of the photo it is dated December 13, 1982, and apparently it was given to Electronic Games for publication. This photo is nothing too spectacular, just your basic Colecovision.

post-24893-0-97425300-1533939850_thumb.jpg

post-24893-0-26867300-1533939873_thumb.jpg

Then I remembered, I have this photo of an alternative console from my 1982 press kit:

post-24893-0-82578500-1533939958_thumb.jpg

I have to say, comparing the two, I would have went with the proto shown in the 1982 press kit. The contrasting colors between grey, white and black, and the purple action buttons on the controllers look kind of cool. It was probably a cost reason, but the proto just looks more snazzy and exciting. If all things were considered equal, and I was Mr. Greenberg, I would have picked the multi-colored one to produce. I probably like it more, just because it never was produced and it is just wishful thinking on my part.

On another side note, speaking of obscure CV related items, does anyone know how many different versions of the Colecovision Puffy Stickers were produced? I always see them on EBay, and buy them. When they arrive, I see that I already have them in my collection. I'm always too lazy to go and check to see what I have before I purchase them, and end up with duplicates. I thought someone mentioned at one time that there was a hard to find third set.

post-24893-0-08624800-1533940808_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bartsfam

I think the 1982 "prototype" would have been cooler with metal color instead of white plastic in the front, but that would probably have raised the price of the console significantly. As it is, I love the ColecoVision, but in hindsight, I wish Coleco had invented a more ergonomic controller, something like the Super-NES controller but with a small 12-key keypad in the middle. I generally like Coleco's controller, but I liked the Gemini controller so much more because it was lighter, smaller and far more comfortable. And it had a paddle built-in, so bonus points!

As for the puffy stickers, I believe there were only two different sets. But don't quote me on that. :)

I like them both, but if I were king and money was no object I would do the silver console and the colored controller buttons with the spinner, though the cords coming out the bottom is a negative (and I hated it again on the dreamcast)

as far as stickers the only ones I ever had are the same two sets you have

• Like 1

I am totally fine with the console design they released. It's sleek and looked more modern at the time compared to the wood grain consoles of that era. And the silver reflective plate on the front with the colorful logo just make it look like a million bucks sitting in your 1980s entertainment system. In my 1982 household I had the ColecoVision sitting next to an original 1977 Atari VCS, original Intellivision system, and a Fairchild Channel F and that sexy black piece of plastic LOOKED like the "next wave" of game consoles compared to those three.

Would I have liked to have seen a better controller designed? Yes, absoultely. But when you think about it, other than the original Atari controller and a few clones like it, there was a fair amount of clunky and uncomfortable first party controllers made up until the simplicity of the NES. Atari 5200, ColecoVision, Intellivision all had what I would consider "useable, but far from perfect" controllers.

I simply just got used to my ColecoVision controller and back in the day, I actually played many games with my Atari 2600 joystick if it only required 1 button.

They must of used the same 1982 proto image for the Canadian Consumer Distributing catalogue when it was purchased for me by my parents I was expecting exactly that and was a little disappointing when what I pulled out of the box looked different. I definitely thought the controllers looked cooler with the built in spinner and metallic looking keypad. Though I suspect it may at least be a little "grass is always greener" syndrome.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

I would have gone with what they went with. The 1982 press kit version looks like a mishmash of incoherent random elements. It's like somebody kitbashed several different consoles together.

I've seen a bunch of different CV designs, though I don't remember where (there's a web site that has about 6 or 7 of them, at least). Some were better than others; some were better than the 1982 design. I remember thinking that one or two probably weren't made just because they would have cost too much. But others, and I count the 1982 photo above among these, just looked like they thought better of it and decided to make a more cohesive color scheme.

Coleco_Master made a replica of the CV unit that was pictured in the Press Kit mentioned above... sans of course the Proto Hand Controllers (blue fire buttons), Cartridge door placement, On/Off Switch and Reset Button differences as well as Sticker labeling each of these.

Only 2 sets of the Puffy Stickers were made / released.

post-25956-0-47913300-1533960417_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-93169200-1533960425_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-91167200-1533960431_thumb.jpg

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 2

The top photo seems to be missing the logo, or maybe it's lost to the lighting or scan.

I do really like the production design they went with, it looks like a Russian suitcase nuke :)

Can't remember the last time I played mine with the case on as it develops problems at an alarming rate and opening it is such a pain. Easier to leave it off, but I do miss the classic 80s box.

Great to see the proto though, thanks for sharing you picture