IGNORED

Introducing: AntiX, the ANTIC Switch !

Level42

18 hours ago, rmzalbar said:

There is a similar project for the C64 called VicII², and indeed, it has every single one of the problems you are listing here. To get around all of the issues, they had to go with relays instead of solid state logic (in part so the power is switched) and a side-by-side board as opposed to a stack; and even with the side-by-side layout, the need for heatsinks on the ICs means that it will only fit in the taller breadbin-style models that have enough space under the keyboard. Perifractic has a great video on how they developed it and dealt with each of the challenges that is worth a look as there are a lot of parallels there.

The end result was a brute-force approach that turned out to be physically imposing and pretty expensive. And, of course, for North Americans we need a monitor capable of full PAL decoding, not just 50hz capable as the case would be with the Antix. I have one in just one of my breadbins and I really like having the convenience of it, but it was a little finicky to get going. Crucially, the Vic-II also handles direct RF generation, so switching and tuning the clock generator and switching the RF output also had to be done which isn't really the case with the Antic since some of those functions are on GTIA.

Given the expense and limitations, I could see where an FPGA Antic implementation could be the right drop-in solution in this case.

That's interesting. I actually had a look at using the same idea as AntiX on the C64 and thought it would actually be easier than on the A8. Interesting to read that it didn't turn out to be like that. 

I believe something like has now been done with POKEY but then with NTSC and PAL ANTICs would be more convenient and safe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I would love a PAL/50 NTSC/60 full switchable machine.   I have a Sophia 2 which can do either GTIA Pal Or GITA NTSC.   The I add in Lothareks SRAM/FREDDY module which will create OSC clock (3,5X MHz) for GTIA  (CLK_IN /4) PAL/NTSC independent. 

Now we need a dual ANTIC PAL/NTSC? or is there more?  How about a PAL/NTSC Antic chip in fpga?

Flip a switch(or a setting in U1mb menu) then Atari in Pal 50hz or NTSC 60hz and everything displayed out of Sophia 2 on my monitor in the correct screen resolution, color and speed. 

Hopefully someday this will be possible. :)