IGNORED

Include "The Soundmachine" - obj file in ASM

skr

I am a bloody beginner with ASM, using WUDSN IDE and MADS to code a little demo. I have an obj-soundfile which was created with "The Soundmachine" from J. Piscol, but have no idea, how to include that in my project and play it back. There is a BASIC-Demo on the Soundmachine disk, but that doesn´t help me due to my limited knowledge.

Can´t find any documentation.

Any help appreciated.

It might be the case that the Soundmachine executable is intended for standalone use only. RMT is oriented towards inclusion in other programs where you do the init call then call the player every frame.

Likely with some playing around the SM file should be able to be used in that sort of fashion.

Thanks, I got that part already. But now that I have it included, how do I play it? That´s the part I don´t know.

AFAIK the loading/start address of the output files are static and begin with $1F00.

Could you please try the following to start the music:

lda #0

sta $1F1E

?

(To stop the playback you have to write a '1' to the same location and clear the sound output registers.)

Edit: You have to init the player by calling "jsr $1f09" beforehand.

Edited by Irgendwer

Well,

the Soundmachine was distributed/sold by Peter Finzel Productions. Afair, Peter Finzel wrote a player routine in one of his assembler corners ("Peter's Assemblerecke"), but I do not remember if it was in Atari Magazin or Computer Kontakt. Think the Compyshop magazine also had an article and some software for the Soundmachine...

Searched through Computer Kontakt and Atari Magazin and could not find any player-software for The Soundmachine music, so this must have been in another german magazine. Armin Stuermer used Soundmachine music in several of his AMC games, e.g. Herbert, Jinks, etc. maybe you can find something there. Attached are two demo disks with Soundmachine music and player software in Basic.

My search continues...

EDIT: Maybe this helps a bit further: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/272348-sound-machine-manual/?hl=%2Bsoundmachine&do=findComment&comment=3905786

or this direct link (use Google translate!): http://atariki.krap.pl/index.php/SoundMachine

Soundmachine_Demos.zip

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

Just to "tag" this thread as "solved": I managed to replay skr's sound file. The output file is a quite unhandy compound file (and "init" executes already $1f09), where the run address points to code jumping to DOSVEC.

Patching the run address to execute code which does the already mentioned

lda #0
sta $1f1e

replays the music.

• Like 4