IGNORED

Collecting Scene

TheCurlyBard

Yeah I did wonder if this was the case - small community, achievable number of games, all collectors pretty much satisfied apart from the oddities that don't make it to eBay often anyway.

You have a complete CIB set? Or you still chasing some? Personally I'm aiming at just carts, for reasons of space and my mental health, but boxes seem very common for a machine of this age. Already got 3, and a couple of carts that came with a bonus manual. Which is kind of why I asked this in the first place, seems like a cheap way to get a shelf full of retro cardboard.

Only CIBs I am missing are The Bit Corp Originals of which I have only seen NIAD with 3 not sure if 4th exists , (I have the repos from Collectorvision for them though) , and I only have 2 CIB of the 6 Xonox Double enders. I say six because the Europe and the Canadian versions are so different that I wanted all of them. I have one European one and one Canadian one.

Skiing and Amazing Bumpman from Telegames didn't come in boxes but I have the original plastic with stapled hanging cardboard that they came in.

For someone jumping in today without any electronic skills, would you buy a console and get it modded and repaired, buy an already modded console or wait for one the clones that are possibly going to be on the market next year. I have yet to see one in the wild and haven't had any luck on Facebook or Craigslist either. I'm seeing 75-125 for a working unit plus 25-50 shipping on eBay unless it is boxed or has a ton of games. I've seen modded systems in the 250-300 range and haven't heard a price on the clones yet.

Sent from my Z965 using Tapatalk

It is hard to say, working ones could fail soon if they don't say that they fully restored them. The fully restored ones are nice and work great if you don't want to wait for the new systems that are coming out.

Only CIBs I am missing are The Bit Corp Originals of which I have only seen NIAD with 3 not sure if 4th exists , (I have the repos from Collectorvision for them though) , and I only have 2 CIB of the 6 Xonox Double enders. I say six because the Europe and the Canadian versions are so different that I wanted all of them. I have one European one and one Canadian one.

Skiing and Amazing Bumpman from Telegames didn't come in boxes but I have the original plastic with stapled hanging cardboard that they came in.

Very nice! I didn't realise the double enders got a release over here in EU. Would like to own them just because they are unusual items.

I saw Yurkie is taking a hiatus from modding systems, does anyone else around here offer services?

Depends where here is for you? I'm in the UK and I can fix the power supply, switch and add AV out, although I've never done an RGB mod and anything I do do will probably take me a while to get round to.

I plan on buying broken consoles and reselling them soon though. Just looking for the right one to buy.

• 3 weeks later...

For someone jumping in today without any electronic skills, would you buy a console and get it modded and repaired, buy an already modded console or wait for one the clones that are possibly going to be on the market next year. I have yet to see one in the wild and haven't had any luck on Facebook or Craigslist either. I'm seeing 75-125 for a working unit plus 25-50 shipping on eBay unless it is boxed or has a ton of games. I've seen modded systems in the 250-300 range and haven't heard a price on the clones yet.

If you go for the original system and whatever games you can find. Learn basic electronics. Learn how to clean switches and measure power and clean connectors. That stuff isn't too hard and there's lots of expert help on these forums.

In addition to that there is emulation. You can explore tons of games straight away right on your PC. Perhaps even use as a daily driver. And keep the original hardware as a shelf queen.

As far as clones go, it's a hit or miss. They often come with limited number of games and have even more limited range of mods/upgrades available. The big plus is they will work straight out of the box with modern displays. There are some cool ones in development though that are going to be worth your time and do it all!

---

So perhaps clones and emulators first. Then if you want to play real cartridges on real original hardware, get a real original system. There is no one right or wrong order in which to do this.

Edited by Keatah

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, same here, just a collector. I will probably run it thru its paces but then it will be as you say a shelf queen. I am a computer programmer and ADAM was my first computer and Colecovision my favorite video gaming system. I had been active over the years collecting couple ADAMs, disk drives, and some of the mods like 256K memory, F18 VGA, and MIB3. I even have the rare Orphanware 80 column unit. But alas once my daughter was born back then and that whole hobby was shelved. I now recently had an basement incident that caused a clean out and got the bug to start looking at my items collecting dust. Got a ADAM Power supply on order, VDD unit, and AtariMax cart. Though I still need to find someone local (Chicagoland) to remove my VDP and install socket for the F18 mod.

But with some of the neat things with RetroPie and these FPGA units folks are developing, I see the original machines likely taking up shelf space for most. I mean with an under $100 RetroPie, I can play Atari, Mame Arcade originals, Coleco, etc all with HDMI and great sound.

But with a modded out ADAM, I am sure I will boot it up and show it off as talking piece every once in awhile since its part of my DNA being a programmer and all. And I will never sell it.

I do also have an Atari 7800 and a Cuttle Cart 2, so I want to mod it to add VGA out as I saw a mod for that. But that is more for fun and challenge. Likely I will play everything on a RetroPie I plan to build along with a nice arcade like controller AIO unit.

Coleco and the ADAM could have been huge had it not been for a few missteps and poor planning by the company. I am very impressed by how well engineered (minus the issues) the ADAM was with the AdamNet and expansion slots. If only the darn thing had a disk drive day 1 and instead made printer optional.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This months aquisitions!

Centipede was from mumbai, who I can recommend dealing with.

I was expecting the Roller to come with Slither , as it was advertise simply as new, including game but no box, and very nearly bought Victory yesterday. The CBS version is a bit rarer than the normal one :)

post-28852-0-90307400-1538481005_thumb.jpg

Edited by TheCurlyBard

Had a good play with Centipede last night, good stuff. Couldn't play Victory as the button that fires isn't working, so that's a job for tonight.

Might focus on getting all the Roller games for a while, although I'm torn between that and games with overlays as I don't own any at all yet.

Back on the wider topic, there does seem to be an uplift on eBay lately with a lot of unusual items being listed and sold.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk