IGNORED

Atari compatible hardware eclaireXL, in mini form.

santosp

this is a hot project... and yes, the XEGS option for a keyboard ROCKS .. I am definitely interested in this. I have wanted to run an Atari BBS on real hardware - but real hardware is prone to failure after all these years.. This would be a great option to run one on fresh hardware with no fear of failure for many years...

Thanks for putting this together!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The case arrived. I need to fix a several things, mostly pretty simple! While I'm happy to share the design files now, probably best to wait...

In any case its sitting in the case playing SillyPack2018 right now:-)

Here are some pics as promised:

EclaireXLMiniCaseFront2.jpg

EclaireXLMiniCaseRear2.jpg

EclaireXLMiniCaseInside2.jpg

• Like 25

Wow that is frickin awesome :-o . How much?

Well the printing was about £45(about £15 top, £15 bottom, £5 cart cover + shipping) with ABS .1mm. + screws and thread inserts (not arrived yet). I didnt go for the best quality, eg I was advised it was better to print the top the other way up! Ill probably pay more for the final run.

Now I have a few things to sort out. To take a few examples (there are more!) there are some gaps between ports on the back were too narrow and thus unprintable or snapped. It was hard to install since the pbi guide is where the board needs to be and the top was quite warped. It might screw down ok, not sure yet. So, working on these adjustments for v2. Ill put the openscad files and stl files in svn.

• Like 2

With the added case, it helps move perception from it being a hobbyist exercise always in flux, that someone would need to take care with, to becoming a finished product, that more casual users might be willing to use. I'd still like console keys on the machine, but would be willing to accept short-cuts on a USB k/b.

I've put the latest stl files on the svn:
http://www.64kib.com/atarixlfpga_svn/trunk/atari_800xl/eclaireXL_ITX/hardware/case/mini/stl/case_common_top_v2.stl
http://www.64kib.com/atarixlfpga_svn/trunk/atari_800xl/eclaireXL_ITX/hardware/case/mini/stl/case_common_bottom_v2.stl

http://www.64kib.com/atarixlfpga_svn/trunk/atari_800xl/eclaireXL_ITX/hardware/case/mini/stl/Cartridge%20v8%20top_up.stl

The openscad design files are here:
http://www.64kib.com/atarixlfpga_svn/trunk/atari_800xl/eclaireXL_ITX/hardware/case/mini/

I think I have fixed all the issues from the prototype (see v1 files in same svn folder), specifically:

• cartridge port too narrow for some carts
  • pbi slot surround clashes with board
  • hard to fit (removed plastic above switch and vga port and widened by 2mm).
  • board actually sits higher than expected, adjusted by 1.5mm.
  • plastic between ports too thin, widened slightly.

In the previous it looks to fit my rendered board well, though I've not printed it yet so there may be errors. I also have yet to fit the threaded inserts to the top (https://www.tappex.co.uk/products/inserts-plastics/multisert?type=unheaded&thread=M3&length=5.2&extras=#selector) so I'm not sure if it will screw together properly. Anyway I thought I'd share it in its current state.

For the cartridge adaptor, I put this on the board with nylon screws (there are traces nearby). I also am re-printing it with the tabs in the X/Y dimension since I had one snap off.

If anyone wants to print it with EclaireXE instead, the openscad files are there ;) . There is also a parameter casexexpand that can be set to 32mm instead of 2mm, if you want to permanently install the pbi adaptor in the case.

Edited by foft
  • Like 6

Wow, this case looks great!

Since it's not a commercial product... Could it not have the Atari logo? It'd look even cooler in my opinion.

BTW, how accurate is this machine? Can it run REHARDEN without any sound/gfx glitches? (it's got pretty tight timing)

...and does it have the non-linear audio mixing feature I know from Altirra? (that's how I tested HARDBASS outside of testing on real HW)

Edited by Sandor / HARD
  • Like 2

Reharden works and sounds correct as far as I can tell. I had to buy new speakers for the bass though!

The non-linear mixing is handled by a linear piece-wise curve and multiplier, see the bottom of this file.

http://www.64kib.com/atarixlfpga_svn/trunk/atari_800xl/common/a8core/pokey_mixer.vhdl

Yes the Atari logo could be added, not sure Im brave enough though!

• Like 3

Debugging is not implemented. It could be done in future using the jtag I guess. I was thinking about doing that for the companion cpu (used for firmware/drive emulation) but hadnt considered it for the 6502.

Another option for debugging, there is a built-in turbo freezer.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

I just stumbled upon this thread. Looks like a great project. I take it that it isn't officially released yet, but once it is I'm interested in one and if those awesome looking cases are sold, I'm in for one of those too. :)

Oh, I am curious if the SIDE2 cart would be compatible with this? I have one with lots of games on it from my modded 600. Also, I was going to pick up a XEGS keyboard to use with this. I have a XEGS system, but want to get a dedicated keyboard to use specifically with this system and not take away the one from my XEGS. :)

Thanks,

John

• 2 weeks later...

Any interest in an XL-themed, 3D-printable case?

This model was based on measurements of foft's v2 case but I have no way to verify for fit. If you have an eclaireXL and the means to print and test, PM me. Footprint is slightly reduced so it should print on a wider variety of printers. Models are arranged to print without supports. You will also need to print foft's cartridge guide. The cover is blank for now. I was planning to add a version with an indentation for affixing a brushed-metal Atari logo.

post-30371-0-46247900-1555213440.jpg

post-30371-0-39959800-1555213452.jpg

post-30371-0-88475100-1555213461.jpg

• Like 4

Looks great, so we have an XE and an XL option now:)

I have yet to print my v2 case. Sven tried it and it fitted well except some thin parts broke when removing supports.

What software did you design it with? Are you willing to share design files and stl files?

Now what colour paint were we meant to use to match the xl? I remember a thread about it.

With all these case options we might need to consider making more boards!

Edited by foft

HI foft,

will there be an update of the mini's core to v31?

Panos told me that the cores are not compatible between the mini and the ITX version.

The mini cores are in here: http://www.64kib.com/autobuild/private/prototype_v3/

Note there were two versions of the mini, probably you have the larger A4 fpga (so choose _a4...).

• Like 1