IGNORED

Atari compatible hardware eclaireXL, in mini form.

santosp

Who can print me an XL style case?

In my listing on Thingiverse, click on the Apps tab and you'll see some choices for printing services. These services direct you to individuals across the country (world?) and pricing. I have no affiliation with any of these services and individuals.

Also check with your local public library to see if they have a 3D printer. This might be the most economical route.

The case has a 185mm x 144mm footprint so check that the printer can handle something of this size. Printing takes ~5 hours + ~7 hours for the top and bottom halves, respectively at .25mm layer height and 60mm/s print speed. Print slower with thinner layers for better quality. The models are already arranged to print flat side down. If you print the XL top cover with the indentation, activate print supports (line supports, touching buildplate). No supports for the bottom cover. PLA material should work well.

Keep in mind that the shells are alpha-/pre-alpha-level testing quality at this stage, meaning that major fit and structural issues are possible. I'm hoping that someone can report back with some photos and measurements of the board placed in the shells. Then there will be a round of enhancements.

Are there cases for the beta version of the Eclaire XL with the separate IO board?

I'd be willing to give it a shot but will need board dimensions, mounting hole/port locations. I can work from annotated photos, scanned drawings, board outlines, etc.

Edited by wt808
  • Like 2

Are there cases for the beta version of the Eclaire XL with the separate IO board?

For the full size EclaireXL the intention was to use mini itx cases. Of course a custom case could be designed/printed. I think that when doing that itd make sense to decide on a better location for pbi, cart and joystick ports. Then design a new sub board or two to fit. The sub board is just wiring +ports so this is not too hard.

• Like 1

I only printed the bottom piece but man does it look nice. Outside holes line up nicely [emoji106].

Had to trim some of the edge of the sio because it was sticking past the motherboard and remove the 2 inner supports but now it fits perfectly. I printed it in blue (that is what I had on it) but going to switch to grey and print the top part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gandor, can you verify that the outer dimensions are 185 x 144 x 21mm? The top cover should be 23mm from the lip to upper surface.

It looks like the joystick ports are not centered in the openings, especially the pair furthest from the SIO connector. I'll check with the datasheets, and add a cutout for the SIO mount tab.

Are you able to insert all connectors without interference? The power jack, audio jack, HDMI, USB seem to be very recessed. Likewise, can you insert and remove the SD card with your finger?

I'm also curious as to why you removed the two supports? Are they too high and/or hitting components on the board? The top half has corresponding standoffs which are supposed sit on top of the screw heads. This is meant to improve top cover rigidity when you remove the cartridge. (I forgot about the expansion connectors. I will need to remove the upper standoff near the cartridge connector from the model.)

How is the rigidity of the bottom half? Would you prefer a cover that feels more solid, less flex?

When fitting the top half, note the height of the gap, if any, between the shells. If the standoffs are too high, I will need to reduce them by this amount.

Thank you for printing and testing!

Edited by wt808

I measured the width and it is just over 144 mm, I don't have anything to measure the length in mm (my calipers don't reach that far).

I also printed the model that Foft published but it is very fragile compared to this one. I already broke off some of the sides from that one.

Foft's model is just over 136 mm wide.

I have to remove the 2 post because otherwise the board wobbled. Maybe there are some soldering joints underneath that made contact?

I tried most ports:

- The joystick ports and sio are perfectly centered and I have no issue populating them.

- Power plug fits, not sure if it will with the top cover on (printing the top right now and it will not be done until sometime tomorrow afternoon)

- Power switch seems fine.

- VGA fits fine (didn't try audio jack).

- USB ports are an issue, plugs don't fit in far enough.

- HDMI port is also an issue, plug doesn't fit in far enough.

- SD card fits just fine and when inserted is flush with the side.

The unit is very sturdy (especially compared to the Folf's model). Feels just like a real Atari case :thumbsup:.

I'll see if I can post some detailed pictures.

• Like 1

Did you see there is a board model as well in board.scad? Might help for placement checking. I used that to help while designing it. Not sure the height is perfect, for v2 I added a vertical offset (up 1.5mm) to match the real board.

http://www.64kib.com/atarixlfpga_svn/trunk/atari_800xl/eclaireXL_ITX/hardware/case/mini/

Gandor, I received feedback that my v2 is too thin on the back near the USB ports, is that where your print broke too?

Wt808, Would it be possible to do a review of my v2 please, since you have more experience please. I am pretty new to this. To screw the top and bottom together are you using the threaded inserts I used or do you have another system?

Edited by foft