IGNORED

Atari compatible hardware eclaireXL, in mini form.

santosp

On 4/6/2022 at 11:35 AM, foft said:

The v1 schematic and board is published here:

http://www.64kib.com/atarixlfpga_svn/trunk/atari_800xl/eclaireXL_ITX/hardware/eagle_project/

There are no current plans to open the v2 and mini, sorry.

It is highly likely there will be another run of these though, presuming this chip crisis ever ends!

I will definitely want one when the crisis is over, please!!

On 4/6/2022 at 8:35 PM, foft said:

It is highly likely there will be another run of these though, presuming this chip crisis ever ends!

I would definitely consider getting another one. For no particular reason other than being so incredible happy with my first one. ?

(some emotional context, what follows is venting of long term frustration amongst only some of you, not all of you.)

I'd actually not only like to be able to get just ONE, for, you know, actual platform development, rather than just as "oh look another pretty game machine", but also to ensure that such a design would remain available for the sake of long term preservation of the platform, long after the VLSI chips are dead, but hey...everybody seems to be hell bent on ego stroking, gate-keeping, and making money, so...yeah, all you collectors get your twos and threes, because obviously you contribute something useful to the community.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909

(Ok, since we're venting...)

I for one am grateful that this project was created and the its creators were kind enough to publish the v1 board to the community. Even that is more than they had to do. I personally have no problem with them selling them - would you prefer that the project was never created at all?

I really don't understand the attitude some folks have that those who put significant time and effort into creating something are somehow obligated to give it away for free and/or distribute it under someone else's terms. All of this stuff takes a ton of work - do the people making demands ever reach out to creators to ask how they can help achieve what is being asked for? Or it just easier to insult them and move on?

21 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

You coordinate a massive preservation effort, and subsequently wall it off after a considerable mass has been gathered.

Hmm, so let me get this straight... our "massive preservation effort" that incurs a significant cost to run and maintain, gives all of its work back to the community for free and has never asked for a penny in return is still not sufficient for your tastes?

The assets that are "walled off" as you refer to it are not yet ready to be distributed in their current form - this project has always been about curation. I've reached out to this community before for help accelerating things. It has largely met with silence.

So thanks, you've supported my previous point perfectly.

Edited by Farb
Grammar typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Farb said:

Hmm, so let me get this straight... our "massive preservation effort" that incurs a significant cost to run and maintain, gives all of its work back to the community for free and has never asked for a penny in return is still not sufficient for your tastes?

The assets that are "walled off" as you refer to it are not yet ready to be distributed in their current form - this project has always been about curation. I've reached out to this community before for help accelerate things. It has largely met with silence.

So thanks, you've supported my previous point perfectly.

How is presenting a pane of glass of a website that basically just shows a database of what's inside, giving back to the community?

The torrents were available at one time, then suddenly poof.

Dude, don't play dumb.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909

1 minute ago, tschak909 said:

Dude, don't play dumb.

I am admittedly not the brightest bulb on the tree, but our last release was on December 24th, 2021 posted right to the preservation thread on this forum:

So what is it you have a problem with - release cadence or distribution channel?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm just going to say...

Thanks @Farbfor the core manual and for the software preservation initiative.

Thanks @tschak909for the FujiNet dev and very interesting Plato explanations/dev/hosting!

Thanks @santospfor picking up where I stopped on the EclaireXL project, designing 3 boards and arranging for them to be made, making them yourself and even learning to re-ball BGAs! Also for making a whole remake 65XE PCB and MANY other projects.

The vhdl is all online, I wrote most of it, though made use of others work for both major and minor parts too (see www.64kib.com/atarixlfpga_svn/trunk/atari_800xl/COPYRIGHT_NOTICE) and ported it to like 9 platforms: Aeon lite, DE1, MCC216, MCCTV, Mist, Chameleon 1, Chameleon 2, PapilioDuo and EclaireXL. Also almost a few other ones: sockit and fpgaarcade. Then others took this work and ported it to about 4-5 more - e.g. Mister.

@tschak909 I also offered to sell you my personal one if you recall.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I used to serve the torrents, an FTP, as well as http: server for the preservation project, Due to cost, complaints, and health issues as well as provider issues I shut it all down as additionally folks were apparently happier with drop box and cloud drives....  If people were still interested I could reprogram an old router to serve them again, once the merger is over and things are stable again.

12 hours ago, Farb said:

I really don't understand the attitude some folks have that those who put significant time and effort into creating something are somehow obligated to give it away for free and/or distribute it under someone else's terms.

My feelings exactly, and well said. Funny thing is even when you do give it away for free, someone will come along and say you need to do more. This can take the shine off what you thought you accomplished.

BTW, @Farb and @foft you guys have both done amazing things for the Atari community, and I wouldn't change a thing. That is all I need to say :)

• Like 7

• 1 year later...
On 7/29/2019 at 11:32 PM, P1r said:Hope to source someone to print the beautiful XL case from @wt808 soon as well.

Lots of water under the bridge and my Eclaire XL is still a joy. Just had a new case printed, since my first one was pretty warped. Colour choice perhaps to celebrate the AtariAge acquisition? ;) (nope, the guy printing the case made a mistake and so this turned up in gold instead of beige)

I think it works though?

IMG_5541.jpeg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, P1r said:

Lots of water under the bridge and my Eclaire XL is still a joy. Just had a new case printed, since my first one was pretty warped. Colour choice perhaps to celebrate the AtariAge acquisition? ;) (nope, the guy printing the case made a mistake and so this turned up in gold instead of beige)

I think it works though?

IMG_5541.jpeg

Very vintage feeling!❤️

• Like 1

• 6 months later...