IGNORED

Altirra 3.10 released

phaeron

Probably unrelated and if so I apologise, I've mentioned a few times in the past that cleaning the settings out registry wise seemed to solve issues that seemed odd, this was a very very rare thing I used to do but it did fix stuff....To be honest I thought it was me only.

Possible OS related? (I'm Win 7x64)

Could system optimisation software or Virus checking or the like cause this, I used to use crapcleaner....Most likely well off the trail with those...

Today I tried to get a No_Disk status reply from drive 1.

Somehow altirra always sends $FF.

Many settings tried, never got $7F.

I need this response when you try to boot with the drive ON but no disk inserted.

To trigger the routine for loading LiteDOS from OS-rom.

Any help would be great.

...or did I stumble on a bug in altirra...

grtz,

Sijmen

• Like 1

Is the Atari 5200 input setting broken? or just non-obvious for me?

I cannot find any option that works.
I just want to map the arrow keys to the 4 directions and CTRL (or other key) to fire.

Input -> Input Mappings does not show anything specific other than

Arrows -> Joystick,

which works fine on the Atari 8-bit computer but not Atari 5200 specific item

No problem here, I used the new scramble 5200 game, menu popped up to load it as a 5200 version, I then went to INPUT and then Port 1 and chose Keyboard 5200 Controller Absolute, left shift works as bombs and start, ctrl for bombs and arrow keys for moving..

The numeric keys or top row numerics work as the 0 9 pad keys, F2 to start, F3 to pause and # key is = and the other key is ' I think (next to hash key on k/b)

All those keys can be remapped to suit what you want in the input mapping but the 5200 mapping don't show up initially unless you run a 5200 game same as the 5200 mappings don't show up if you run a standard computer game..

Remember, get the 5200 game loaded first...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

Today I tried to get a No_Disk status reply from drive 1.

Somehow altirra always sends $FF.

Many settings tried, never got $7F.

I need this response when you try to boot with the drive ON but no disk inserted.

To trigger the routine for loading LiteDOS from OS-rom.

Works for me.

Note that FDC status bit 7 is not universal for all drives. It is only valid for drives with certain floppy drive controllers and which have a drive latch hooked up, i.e. 1050 derivatives. 810 and XF551 drives do not.

Hi Avery,

OK, strange behavior.

When I start-up altirra and there was no disk mounted in drive 1, I do get $7F.

-yeah-

But as soon as I insert a disk, after a while, remove it (eject).

Then when I use shift+F5, I get $FF (?).
With the BOOT-ERROR cycle.

Stranger still, I get data in $400-$47F, status after SIO is set to minus ($90)
(???)

Some info and see picture:

Sytem halted after first SIO that reads sector 1, no idea why it tries to read sector 1, status says OK, but no disk...

SIO: Device $31[1], command $53, buffer $02EA, length $0004, aux $0000 timeout 9.0s | Disk: Get status
Breakpoint 1 hit
(1297:126, 74) A=00 X=FE Y=01 S=F6 P=31 ( C) EA36: 60 RTS
Breakpoint 0 hit
(1297:128, 4) A=53 X=FE Y=01 S=FB P=31 ( C) C739: 60 RTS
SIO: Device $31[1], command $52, buffer $0400, length $0080, aux $0001 timeout 9.0s | Disk: Read sector
Breakpoint 1 hit
(1305: 81, 32) A=00 X=FE Y=90 S=F6 P=B1 (N C) EA36: 60 RTS

I'm sure I do something wrong....

Grtz,

Sijmen.

[stock 800XL/64k REV02 no acceleration no devices]

post-6668-0-33830100-1535004351_thumb.png

Altirra 3.0 and 3.1 do not provide any working input for the Atari 5200.

Or at lest no simple way to configure it.

Everything works out of the box for the Atari 800.

In Input -> Input Maps

"Keyboard -> 5200" is not shown on the list but I can get to it by clicking the not so obvious "Presets" button.

Input -> Input Maps -> Selected "Keyboard -> 5200 (absolute port 1)"
Input -> Port 1 -> "Keyboard ->5200 (absolute port1)"

With these settings only the FIRE button works.
A down movement is wrongly detected: so you simply die because your character moves down.

I'm guessing that you are trying to control your game... but on Atari 5200 you need to have different code routine for input, as Atari 5200 AFAIK does not use joystick input, but paddles input. Did you try some Atari 5200 games?

Edited by MaPa
  • Like 1

Try setting the Keyboard 5200 Input to the next one down, Relative, instead of absolute..

There's zero reason why the keyboard inputs should not be working as standard, unless you are using some weird PC key remapping software?

Only other thing I can think of is try how the keys are scanned, not sure if this actually applies to the 5200 system or not..

To test this idea you go to the System menu, choose configure system, then look for keyboard in the peripherals section. Have a look at the keypress mode, its worth noting what the settings were before you change them..

If keypress is cooked, try Raw or even Raw full Scan and there a section in the same menu for Arrow keys but make a note of the normal settings before you change them..

I'm guessing that you are trying to control your game... but on Atari 5200 you need to have different code routine for input, as Atari 5200 AFAIK does not use joystick input, but paddles input. Did you try some Atari 5200 games?

Oops, and yes, silly me, it may be a controller issue..What are the games you (Fabrizio) are having issues with, even if its with a selection its worth knowing if they use a paddles only..(Not sure if the absolute and relative configure between analogue and digital)

Thanks McLaneinc!

I am indeed trying to run my own game (see attachment), which works fine "out of the box" under Atari800Win.

My game is using whatever the CC65 toolkit provides as joystick, which, should be something like a digital joystick.

Fabrizio

P.S.: If you are interested about my project, you can follow it at:
https://github.com/Fabrizio-Caruso/CROSS-CHASE

FULL_atari5200.rom

Hi Fabrizio,

Just tried the game and see the issue and I tried every I could think off but I have a feeling its going to be down to the programming?

Perhaps now there's a rom to test Avery if he has time can have a look with the debugger..

As for the project, will you do a computer port of it?

It looks like it could be fun and I'll follow the github, thank you for the info..

Paul..

Hey it works great. One issue I still notice, is with Antic GTIA overscan, Antic Mode 2/3 does not show the right side static, but is visible with Antic 3/4. Not sure what other Antic modes it is visible with. For the stuff I made that uses Widescreen Mode made after 2016, I use a HSCROL trick by turning on the bit in the display list and setting HSCROL to 1. reducing the static to 2 pixels. I noticed more people started using wide screen displays to run software on real hardware because their monitors started breaking down or got rid of them because they took up too much space. Reducing the static to one pixel made it look less noticeable. I wish there was a setting to make it go away entirely. I am not sure how many purchased that device that blacks out some of the over scan region.

I got the ideal to do this while making and testing Laser Blast X and Helicommander, that the right side static was changing widths as the screen scrolled left and right. I said, wouldn't that work great for games that use over scan mode but does not scroll. Games like Delta Space Arena, Megaoids, and Putt 18 all have this modification now.

I do not remember who made the device for wide screen monitors / HDTVs or how much they block out, or if it was adjustable. Maybe something that can be emulated with Altirra.

@Mclaneinc, the game works fine under Atari800Win.

Did you try any other different Atari 5200 emulator?

It does work under Atari800Win.

I used the same C code as the Atari 8-bit version, which also works fine under Altirra and Atari800Win.

It seems an emulator issue to me.

Your game is not initializing the CONSOL register correctly. Bit 2 needs to be set to turn off trackball calibration mode so that the joystick can be read. Atari800Win does not emulate this (which is why it also has problems running Pengo).

• Like 5

Well there's your answer Fabrizio and some other great info..Lots of multi Atari and multi platform people one here..

I missed the more obvious question, ie real hardware but that's why I'm not a guru like them :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

THANKS Phaeron! You are right! The problem was in CC65 joystick driver not initializing the pot.
This fixes my game under Altirra and possibly also under the real hardware.

I have attached the fixed version of my game here, which is also available at:
https://github.com/Fabrizio-Caruso/CROSS-CHASE/releases/download/BombDance/FULL_atari5200.rom

Thanks everyone!

Thanks Altirra for being accurate! Sorry for thinking it was an emulator's issue.

Fabrizio

FULL_atari5200.rom

• Like 3

But the old adage still applies as pointed out by others, make sure it works on the real thing during development, not all emulators are equal and not all devs get it spot on first time :)

Off to have a play of the game, thank you for that...More to come we hoipe?

Paul..

Edited by Mclaneinc

This has probably been asked and answered already but I just can't discover how to do what I want.

On the 800XL CTRL+INSERT inserts a blank space. In Altirra this is duplicated by pressing the INSERT/ScrLk key (no need for the CTRL key).

I can't figure out how to duplicate Atari native CTRL+INSERT using my laptop keypad's INSERT Key.

I've looked at the options in System-->Configure-->Keyboard-->Customize... but I don't even see CTRL+INSERT as a native Atari sequence so I don't know how to add a second binding for it.

I apologize if I've been missing something obvious and/or simple.

[EDIT]

Nevermind! I found it.

to

Emulation Key = CTRL+> maps INSERT

add

CTRL+> mapped to KP_INSERT

Edited by a8isa1