IGNORED

Altirra 3.10 released

phaeron

I'm seeing RS232.COM on SDX 4.49c fail to load in Altirra 3.10 with an 850 connected, but the RS232 handler will bootstrap everywhere else... Is there a setting I need to flip to get SDX to play nice?

-Thom

SDX 4.49 perturbs the 850, you have to leave the device off during intitial sdx polling... then turn it on before use.. altira may need a power switch for the 850 as SDX 4.49 may be trying to access the 850's other modes by accident during it's polling process.

The behavior happens with 4.49d on real hardware as well. this is part of the reason why I posted to leave the 850 off until ready to load your driver and terminal program for folks new at this in the BBS thread.

Just like most of other things Atari... there is more to the 850 than meets the eye. I think Curt is a fan of the device as well. It is due for a complete probing and hacking, perhaps some tweaks to speed up a bit... believe it or not some of that's been done before- franken-roms- faster chips.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I won't pretend I want Time Travel / Rewind for programming, its just a wonderful cheat for those games where it all happens too quick (C'mon folks, I'm getting a little old in the joints)..Seriously, would be a really nice feature, its not a 'must have' but its worth having if Avery thought it sounded do able in a quick way..

Avery, any chance of a program to hunt out idiots who seem to have added you to a spam list "for a laugh" so I can go around and fit my size 11 steel toe capped old work boots up their annoying ar**... (Pretty sure its not a bot 'harvest')

Ok, maybe not :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

Avery, any chance of a program to hunt out idiots who seem to have added you to a spam list "for a laugh" so I can go around and fit my size 11 steel toe capped old work boots up their annoying ar**... (Pretty sure its not a bot 'harvest')

Sometimes you get lucky and they sign you up to something from their server machine and the IP is in the confirmation email. Forward to forum admin... sweet when that happens. ;)

The time machine functionality calls to mind reversible computing, so hopefully we can expect a version of Altirra which uses virtually no electricity whatsoever. :)

• Like 3

Sometimes you get lucky and they sign you up to something from their server machine and the IP is in the confirmation email. Forward to forum admin... sweet when that happens. ;)

The time machine functionality calls to mind reversible computing, so hopefully we can expect a version of Altirra which uses virtually no electricity whatsoever. :)

If only Jon re the first point...Annoying as I was getting so many non delivered's back to my ISP that they throttled me even though it wasn't coming from my machine, sorry meant to make it clear they used my email to spam people, something that isn't appreciated...But hey ho, ISP fixed it..

Lol re point two, but will it need old rubbish and need to hit 88 before it runs? The Doc from Back to The Future had the right idea...Then again, mind reversible computing may be something entirely different..

I also wonder how Organic computing is developing...

• Like 1

Maybe any sort of "time machine" functionality could be a save-state action occurring at a user-set interval. And the buffer size or length of backward time could also be user set.

Remember I'm not a dev so be kind re this next point.

Surely setting adjustable save state that could be recalled is far more intensive than the ordinary "rewind" that's been used in emulators like RetroArch and also in games as a really sweet play feature (Newer Prince of Persia games like Sands Of time)...I'm not entirely sure how it all works but I suspect its buffering all the joystick, sprite and in game engine for X seconds like a swap file that it plays back..

As said, I do not know the tech side that well but the thought pattern is that doing it as a whole rather than breaking it up into separate save states is less intensive...

Attack if you must :)

SDX 4.49 perturbs the 850, you have to leave the device off during intitial sdx polling... then turn it on before use.. altira may need a power switch for the 850 as SDX 4.49 may be trying to access the 850's other modes by accident during it's polling process.

The behavior happens with 4.49d on real hardware as well. this is part of the reason why I posted to leave the 850 off until ready to load your driver and terminal program for folks new at this in the BBS thread.

Just like most of other things Atari... there is more to the 850 than meets the eye. I think Curt is a fan of the device as well. It is due for a complete probing and hacking, perhaps some tweaks to speed up a bit... believe it or not some of that's been done before- franken-roms- faster chips.

So, where is this 4.49d version to be found? I suspect it still has the Error 144 Device Done error same as 4.49c. That's why I have reverted back to 4.47.

Can anyone answer my question about Device Done 144? Konrad?

How about a 4.49e that has it all fixed?

:)

Remember I'm not a dev so be kind re this next point.

Surely setting adjustable save state that could be recalled is far more intensive than the ordinary "rewind" that's been used in emulators like RetroArch and also in games as a really sweet play feature (Newer Prince of Persia games like Sands Of time)...I'm not entirely sure how it all works but I suspect its buffering all the joystick, sprite and in game engine for X seconds like a swap file that it plays back..

As said, I do not know the tech side that well but the thought pattern is that doing it as a whole rather than breaking it up into separate save states is less intensive...

Attack if you must :)

Yeah rewind...

If only Jon re the first point...Annoying as I was getting so many non delivered's back to my ISP that they throttled me even though it wasn't coming from my machine, sorry meant to make it clear they used my email to spam people, something that isn't appreciated...But hey ho, ISP fixed it..

I'm ashamed to admit that the same thing actually happened to me several years ago. In my case, it was my website host who got in touch and told me that one of the POP email boxes had been hijacked by a spammer. Not entirely sure what happened, but I doubled down on security and download vetting after that. Same reaction when my credit card provider rang me about eight years ago to query a day trip to Paris that had been booked on my card. Certainly wasn't me, and it turned out there was Malware on the PC's browser which was redirecting me to a bogus site when I tried to log into the bank. Ouch! It takes a couple of episodes like that to get woke about security.

As for reversible computing: I stumbled on that when watching the Computerphile channel on YouTube. Too complex to explain here, but a fascinating topic well worth Googling. One thing it addresses is the amount of energy sent to ground by transistors in CPUs during logic gate operations. Unfortunately all existing software needs to be completely rewritten to become 'reversible', but the resulting systems would be stupendously power-efficient.

• Like 1

I'm ashamed to admit that the same thing actually happened to me several years ago. In my case, it was my website host who got in touch and told me that one of the POP email boxes had been hijacked by a spammer. Not entirely sure what happened, but I doubled down on security and download vetting after that. Same reaction when my credit card provider rang me about eight years ago to query a day trip to Paris that had been booked on my card. Certainly wasn't me, and it turned out there was Malware on the PC's browser which was redirecting me to a bogus site when I tried to log into the bank. Ouch! It takes a couple of episodes like that to get woke about security.

As for reversible computing: I stumbled on that when watching the Computerphile channel on YouTube. Too complex to explain here, but a fascinating topic well worth Googling. One thing it addresses is the amount of energy sent to ground by transistors in CPUs during logic gate operations. Unfortunately all existing software needs to be completely rewritten to become 'reversible', but the resulting systems would be stupendously power-efficient.

Yes, security is tighter now, freaked me out as...Knew it wasn't my machine..Hey ho, it happens, not good..

I'm now interested in this reversible computing, I will google it thanks, not sure I'll understand it but it sounds a good way forward..

• Like 2

Hi!

Current Altirra OS has a little bug, as documented here: https://github.com/atari800/atari800/issues/46

To reproduce:

- Install Altirra without any ROMS

- On first run, select no firmware, XL/XE computer, NTSC, Streamlined, finish.

- Enable internal basic (System/Ingternal BASIC)

- Restart the Atari (System/Cold Reset)

- In Altirra Basic, type BYE.

- Press F5 (reset Atari)

- Now, type "?" (or any other command).

I think that the replacement self-test screen should force a cold-boot on reset, the same as the standard XL self-test.

Sorry I missed that sir, yes works, set on my machine to XL PAL (latest beta Altirra...of course :)) and loaded fine...

No BASIC and no fancy drives as they may be the cause as its supposedly an original with protection and sounds like it when loading, head is back and forth all over the place which sounds just like protection check..

Yes, just rechecked...If a US DOOUBLER is enabled then I get the same message as you guys, a 1050 Happy won't even boot it (odd) but a fully emulated 1050 normal with firmware drive is fine as are the ordinary emulated drives with no firmware..(well the ones I tested)..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

It's one of my favorite games for sure. I actually have it as an original diskette. In real life it fails to load (copy protection) on my Indus GT, but works fine on my Atari 1050. Thanks for checking, Mclaneinc.

so, I reset my setting on Altirra and it works fine now.

• Like 2

If you don't have some profiles setup then I'd a million percent recommend you do, I like to have a happy drive on in real life Atari usage and on Altirra but its nice to have a few profiles for NTSC, PAL, Certain Devices etc in the background to save all that.

For the small time they take to set up they are worth the time..

Glad its running..

Paul..

• Like 2