IGNORED

Altirra 3.10 released

phaeron

This is an intentional breaking change -- see the change log. Symbols are now only loaded if the debugger is active (/debug or manually opened). This prevents unwanted debugger functionality from being activated when launching an image, particularly if hidden within a .zip file.

Not loading at startup sounds fine, but then they should be loaded when the debugger is entered. Starting / having to start initially with the debugger open is not what I expect as a developer.

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-3.20-test4.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-3.20-test4-src.zip

• Fixed crash when enabling extended PAL height with artifacting on and then disabling it with artifacting off.
  • Fixed frame blending (it was actually blending too much).
  • Fixed a bug when profiling sub-ranges of traces in the performance analyzer where some bogus entries would show up in the profiling results due to instructions getting mixed up.
  • Fixed profiler misattributing some instructions around interrupts in function and basic block modes. This showed up as bogus tagging of functions or blocks for interrupt time even though they never executed in interrupts.
  • The profiler can now disambiguate OS ROM and banked cartridge addresses. Since this can screw with symbol matching, global address support is an opt-in option in the Options drop-down.

I'm going to tweak the symbol loading but will have to think some more about it. One of the problems is that the symbol files aren't necessarily available after the initial load. Also, just delaying to debugger open isn't enough either as it means that any problematic debugger feature would still explode if the debugger was accidentally opened, which isn't that hard to do. Pure symbol files aren't much of a risk, but debugger scripts are more so.

• Like 10

Is there a way to enter this in one go in the debugger? I have to activate is after the memory was initialize, so I cannot do it at startup.

"ba w $4800 L$0180

ba w $4980 L$0180
ba w $4B00 L$0180
ba w $4C80 L$0180
ba w $4E00 L$0180
ba w $3A80 L$0180
ba w $3700 L$0180
ba w $3880 L$0180
ba w $2100 L$0180
ba w $2280 L$0180
ba w $2500 L$0180
ba w $2680 L$0180
ba w $2880 L$0180
ba w $2A00 L$0180
ba w $2B80 L$0180
ba w $2D00 L$0180
ba w $2E80 L$0180
ba w $3280 L$0180
ba w $3480 L$0180"

And maybe you could make the numbering of breakpoints start at "1" instead of "0". While "0" is the natural base for addresses an indexes, I'm always a bit confused by the first breakpoint being #0.

You can either put the commands in a batch file and run that, or stack them all in one alias separated by semicolons.

As for breakpoint numbering... I'm leaning toward no, sorry, have too many things that start at 0. It'd be a big change and one that would likely introduce more confusion and regressions.

• Like 1

+1 for 0. :)

Mathematics humour...Love it...Nice one Jon...

Edit:

Idea just seen on Winaue and it sounds handy...Idea courtesy of Toni Wilen, nothing to do with me..

- Window corners are now drag'n'drop hot spots for different floppy drives. (top/left=0, top/right=1, bottom/left=2, bottom/right=3).

I know there's a right click option for the window but that would make manual mounting of disk 2's etc easy if forgotten..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Idea just seen on Winaue and it sounds handy...Idea courtesy of Toni Wilen, nothing to do with me..

I know there's a right click option for the window but that would make manual mounting of disk 2's etc easy if forgotten..

I like the general idea but hope there's some on screen indicator for that. Having invisible corners for that would just be undiscoverably weird.

• Like 1

There's also a slight conflict with the usual drag-drop being used to reset the machine and load afresh and so the ATR handling would have to eject the current disk (if present) and that may also require saving first if updated and then inserting the new image without rebooting.

That's already all handled -- you can choose whether a dropped disk image is mounted or booted by dragging with the right mouse button instead of the left. The idea here would just be to make those options more accessible by making them visible drop targets on a left-drag.

As said, just sounded a nice idea, an easy way to insert disks in to multiple drives on the fly without the right click way..

As for visible references on WinUAE, if I know Toni I bet not, Toni isn't one for documentation and most of his 'features' like that are mentioned in the change list but the isn't a visual ref to them so for the most part remain undiscovered by all but the hardcore :)

With you Avery I'd have thought there would be the mini icons etc to point them out...

Any way, it just seemed nice....Altirra is very configurable as it stands...

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-3.20-test5.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-3.20-test5-src.zip

• Compiler updated to VS2017 15.9.2 for official ARM64 support. (Hopefully nothing breaks.)
  • Fixed incorrect handling of VSCROL writes on cycle 0. (regression since 3.20 test-2)
  • Added option to hide all on-screen indicator overlays: Configure System > Emulator > Display
  • Workaround for more Windows high-DPI weirdness that was causing the contextual help in Configure System to display at weird font sizes on high DPI displays. (RichEdit controls have very broken high DPI behavior.)
  • Misc keyboard navigation fixes for configure system dialog.
  • Fixed bug in modem setting handling that caused the telnet option to load incorrectly in the UI (it did save correctly).
  • Added visual drop targets.
  • Improved banked cartridge debugging: symbols outside of $A000-BFFF are no longer considered banked symbols even if they are defined in a cartridge bank.

• Like 12

Love the dropper places, so much easier kind sir but I am trying having just used them to see the difference from Mount Image and Mount D1.....I presume Mount image would mount to the known first drive and by using it it not auto bootable which is handled in the nice big box (or right clickingi with d&d..)

I have this horrible feeling its going to be something so obvious that I feel like I'll look like a serious newb...

And of course, thank you for listening and adding changes where wanted..

Edit: Yes found out why....Xex etc .....Still feel like a newb...Edit 2...The error for attempting to drop on another drive for xex etc could be a little kinder :) It suggests xex's are unknown to the emulator rather than to a dosless non boot drive

Edited by Mclaneinc

You can either put the commands in a batch file and run that, or stack them all in one alias separated by semicolons.

Some kind of batch file execution / input is what I was lookfor. But how can I achieve this? I can't see any matching command in .help in the debugger. As mentioned before, I cannot put them in the .atdbg file upon start.

Phaeron, Any chance we will ever see the 32-in-1 OS from AtariMax emulated in Altirra?

I'm not sure why people specifically ask for this type of useless divination. Sure, there's a chance we could see it at some point in the future.

I assume what you're actually asking for is for it to be emulated some time sooner than that. It doesn't look to difficult, but I don't have code for it at the moment. The device does appear to have a couple of unusual connections that may require some core work in the emulator. I posted more technical details over in the 32-in-1 thread.

Love the dropper places, so much easier kind sir but I am trying having just used them to see the difference from Mount Image and Mount D1.....I presume Mount image would mount to the known first drive and by using it it not auto bootable which is handled in the nice big box (or right clickingi with d&d..)

I have this horrible feeling its going to be something so obvious that I feel like I'll look like a serious newb...

And of course, thank you for listening and adding changes where wanted..

Edit: Yes found out why....Xex etc .....Still feel like a newb...Edit 2...The error for attempting to drop on another drive for xex etc could be a little kinder :) It suggests xex's are unknown to the emulator rather than to a dosless non boot drive

Mount/Boot Image detects the type of image, while Mount Dn: forces the type to be disk image (and fails if it isn't a valid disk image).

The reason for this weird behavior is that the emulator doesn't know the type of the image until the drop actually occurs. Filenames are often wrong, so the emulator needs to check the contents of the file to determine the type. That's not necessarily cheap. Some image types like The!Cart images and raw tapes can be very large, and this can also provoke UI popups from the drag source if it's something like an archive extractor. For instance, 7-Zip File Manager does the extraction at this point. It would be disruptive if this happened during the drag as soon as the mouse entered the window. I'm not actually sure what information I can safely get during the drag.

phaeron, could you look at http://atariage.com/forums/topic/285191-altirra-how-to-get-a-non-modem-serial-connection/ ?

Maybe it fell through the cracks, or maybe the question is too stupid?

Or maybe there is the concept of "time zones" and "US holiday season", and I was busy getting out a new test release that includes a fix the UI issue you ran into, and I have no responsibility to respond to posts in order.

• Like 3

Or maybe there is the concept of "time zones" and "US holiday season", and I was busy getting out a new test release that includes a fix the UI issue you ran into, and I have no responsibility to respond to posts in order.

Sure. I understand the concept of "time zones" and I know that there is Thanksgiving in the US. I missed the part with the "modem setting handling" in your release announcement, my fault.

Didn't want to "push" you, but I feared you missed my post and just wanted to provide a kind reminder. You hadn't missed it, but I missed that you hadn't missed it... sorry

• Like 2

Thanks for the consideration of the 32 in 1 at some point or any add on you feel is a worthwhile addition..

You spoil us rotten and we are grateful...

@sanny, don't worry, we all have had that "did he see it or not" moment with posts to Avery, he is such a busy guy but it can be easy to forget that but I can tell you as other followers of Altirra over the years that Avery rarely misses anything and if he considers it worth the time or its a fix depending on time and how important it is then it goes on the list of things to do. Fixes always seem to get precedent (naturally) but at a time scale that amazes, hours or a day normally which is simply beyond the call of duty by him. And of course we must remember 2 things, Altirra is free and Avery has never mentioned plans to change that and of course the man does this in his free time between a busy job and a social life..

If things are viable and meet what he thinks are in line with his vision of the emulator then he always gives them some thought...Its all we can ask for..And he delivers in spades...

I've been waiting years for an AI that plays the difficult games for me in Altirra but my call has not been heard :)

(yes the last one is a joke...An old one from moons ago)

• Like 2