IGNORED

Altirra 3.10 released

phaeron

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but I want to know if this is WAD or there is a bug somewhere...

If I have a 720 sectors ATR and use DOS 2.5 to format it in enhanced density using "I" option, the ATR file turns into a 1040 sectors one, but if I format it again into single density using "P" option, the ATR file size remains as enhanced density, and Altirra popups a warning about a wrong allocation bitmap when I try to explore its contents, and disables the writing into it within that window. Shouldn't Altirra resize enhanced density ATR disks to single density disks at format time?

BTW, what is VRWSafe mode for? I only get errors when I try to format or write into it.

From the Manual..

Virtual read/write (VRW) Write access allowed, but changes are kept in memory without automatically writing them back to the source. This allows temporary modification of disks while keeping source files pristine. Modified disks are shown in orange in the Disk Drives dialog and can be written back to image files via the Save command on each drive. Newly created disk images are automatically mounted in virtual read/write mode as they haven't been associated with an image file yet.

Virtual read/write safe (VRWSafe) Similar to virtual read/write, except that format commands are blocked with a read-only disk error. This allows virtualized write access to disks while still blocking writes for programs that attempt to format their disk on boot as part of a protection check. Altirra defaults to this mode until changed in Options.

Edited by Mclaneinc

If I have a 720 sectors ATR and use DOS 2.5 to format it in enhanced density using "I" option, the ATR file turns into a 1040 sectors one, but if I format it again into single density using "P" option, the ATR file size remains as enhanced density, and Altirra popups a warning about a wrong allocation bitmap when I try to explore its contents, and disables the writing into it within that window. Shouldn't Altirra resize enhanced density ATR disks to single density disks at format time?

I think this is normal when emulating a disk drive that supports PERCOM blocks, such as the USDoubler and the generic standard drive emulation. DOS 2.5 only knows about 1050 drives, so it assumes that the $21 format command will always format a single-density disk. On PERCOM-capable drives, however, it formats a disk with the currently set parameters, which will still be set to medium density. The result is that DOS 2.5 formats a medium density disk and writes a single density filesystem to it.

The XF551 is the exception, as it has code in its command $21 handler to force a single-density format if the current mode is medium density. You'll get this behavior if you use the XF551 full drive emulator, but the standard emulation code probably doesn't do this.

• Like 1

Hi Phaeron,

Seems (at least) one file is missing at the source tree. Seems you forgot to include "*.JPG" files on the zip command.

Thanks,

2>[copying image] pics/colormap.jpg
2>EXEC : Fatal error : System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'source\pics\colormap.jpg'.
2>File name: 'source\pics\colormap.jpg'

Hi Phaeron,

Seems (at least) one file is missing at the source tree. Seems you forgot to include "*.JPG" files on the zip command.

Thanks,

2>[copying image] pics/colormap.jpg
2>EXEC : Fatal error : System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'source\pics\colormap.jpg'.
2>File name: 'source\pics\colormap.jpg'

Indeed. Fortunately, it's just the help file, so it's the same image that's savable from the chm. Will be fixed in the deploy script for next build, image attached.

post-16457-0-73145600-1556257765.jpg

• Like 4

wow that burr messes with my eye, any crt that I own looked like that I'd have to smack the person smoking cigarettes for tarring and fogging the place up. Either that or smack myself or others who don't know how to dust and clean the glass... Do you smoke? Perhaps live where lots of diesel or something is attracted to the charged screen?

Try an anti static or de ionized spray , perhaps slightly higher humidity and an air filtration system? That can't be good for your eye sight.

Edited by _The Doctor__

wow that burr messes with my eye, any crt that I own looked like that I'd have to smack the person smoking cigarettes for tarring and fogging the place up. Either that or smack myself or others who don't know how to dust and clean the glass... Do you smoke? Perhaps live where lots of diesel or something is attracted to the charged screen?

Try an anti static or de ionized spray , perhaps slightly higher humidity and an air filtration system? That can't be good for your eye sight.

You realize that's an emulator screen, right? It's not a photograph.

The JPEG compression doesn't help, it makes the output a bit blurrier than the original. Didn't want to bloat the help file by 0.5MB just for one picture.

• Like 7

I guess this means the display emulation is amazingly faithful. :)

Indeed, it looks a hell of a lot like the old Zenith we used (connected through good old Channel 2 or 3), minus the barrel distortion and bloom - hell, it was a 10 year old TV when it was handed-down for use on the Atari and we were thrilled to have it. :)

• Like 1

Yup, super pleased to have it...Side by side to an Amiga monitor running real hardware is just spot on....I like a bit more blur but the filtering options just allow a pretty damn accurate of a composite output on standard hardware or ultra crisp for those that like it in that style..Win win..

The Docs just grumpy because one of his carers didn't warm his slippers up :)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

I can't imagine any display looking like that, if a CRT looks like that, it needs serious cleaning and adjustment. What would the point be to doing a clearpic mod if that was what a display would look like?

I'm glad he said it's overly exaggerated blur due to compression for the forum. I think I've always made sure anybody with an Atari we've met has had their display tuned up and calibrated. I know we did clinics for the users groups as well. Games like Arkanoid that used the full screen we're used to set height, then using templates the width was adjusted, linearity, followed by focus and convergence, this was done again if needed, and finally sub bright, brightness, contrast, and tint/hue, and extreme cases gun drive.

It was a great time had by all, and people had fun learning about the data at the top of televison broadcast etc. The only thing I can think of that might look like that was very old deflection vector displays. They had an awesome glow around bright crisp lines. Loved that on those games, though I suspect that the beam was drilling serious radiation and intense focus into our retinas! Still looked mighty fine.

Fuzzy Bunny slippers show great fashion sense :)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

Note that the picture is part of a procedure to calibrate color, including NTSC artifacting colors over a composite connection. You will not get artifacting if you are using an S-Video connection and you will not see the same amount of bloom if you are used to a CRT with a finer dot pitch. The 1702 CRT I am using has phosphors that are almost the same size as pixels, it's not any better defined than the image above. In any case, I think I have enough monitor cleaning advice regarding my shader.

• Like 4

I added MidiMate to Altirra under the Devices tab, and apparently Altirra only supports Midi Output with the MidiMate. Is this correct?

I've attached a M-Audio MidiSport 1X1 USB Midi interface to my Windows 10 machine, and was trying to see if I could get Midi-Maze running, Midi-Maze (.XEX) does lanuch and run in Solo mode, but I did not appear to recognize the M-Audio interface when selecting MidiMate with a single Midi cable attached (looped) as described in post 422 http://atariage.com/forums/topic/269207-midi-interface/page-17

I added MidiMate to Altirra under the Devices tab, and apparently Altirra only supports Midi Output with the MidiMate. Is this correct?

I've attached a M-Audio MidiSport 1X1 USB Midi interface to my Windows 10 machine, and was trying to see if I could get Midi-Maze running, Midi-Maze (.XEX) does lanuch and run in Solo mode, but I did not appear to recognize the M-Audio interface when selecting MidiMate with a single Midi cable attached (looped) as described in post 422 http://atariage.com/forums/topic/269207-midi-interface/page-17

Yes, this is correct, Altirra only supports MIDI output. I am musically challenged and do not have any MIDI devices for the computer (though I do have access to a MIDIMATE for the Atari).

phaeron,

Thanks for the quick feedback. I am musically challenged also, but have 1 Midi keyboard bought many years ago. Thankfully, playing Midi-Maze requires no musical talent, just 2 (or more) computers, each with Midi In and Midi Out ports. Check out the Atari-age thread I listed about and also https://ataribits.weebly.com/midi.html

and let me know if your interested in updading Altirra for Midi In.

Thanks again for writing such a great emulator. Over the past two weeks I've had time to use Altirra many times to play Atari games. Last night, I was surprised when I clicked on Altirra on my MacMini, and Wine started automatically, updated itself to Wine 2.0 and ran Altirra perfectly.

Edited by Forrest

Last night, I was surprised when I clicked on Altirra on my MacMini, and Wine started automatically, updated itself to Wine 2.0 and ran Altirra perfectly.

/OT: Did you install WINE using BREW, or did you install one of the packaged versions? I had a lot of trouble with 64-bit prefixes the last time I tried to install using BREW (under High Sierra, I think).

Edited by flashjazzcat

Thanks for the quick feedback. I am musically challenged also, but have 1 Midi keyboard bought many years ago. Thankfully, playing Midi-Maze requires no musical talent, just 2 (or more) computers, each with Midi In and Midi Out ports. Check out the Atari-age thread I listed about and also https://ataribits.weebly.com/midi.html

and let me know if your interested in updading Altirra for Midi In.

One concern I'd have is whether MidiMaze can even be supported with standard MIDI input. It looks like the serial transmissions at least take place at standard MIDI speeds, but they would also need to be correctly formatted MIDI messages in order to be receivable by the Windows APIs (either midiIn or Windows.Devices.Midi).