IGNORED

Altirra 3.10 released

phaeron

I encountered weird thing yesterday. I'm not sure it's new, but I think it must be, because it would happen to me before. I think.

So .. I'm in debugger, just assembler window. F10 should bring me to next instruction, right ? So I'm stepping, stepping .. and suddenly it throws me away, and stops on break point far far away, as if I pressed 'go' instead of step. Tried again after rebooting the image, happened again on the same spot. I checked the history, and sure enough, DLI was being fired right when I pressed F10 the last time.

In my case DLI was being fired on every text line, and I was debuging slow code, so it was really a problem. Those DLIs fired all the time. I could get around it by waiting for vertical blank on the start of the routine, and then finding the bug before VB was over.

Question

Hi Avery,

Is it possible in altirra to listen or to communicate over a com-port?

Say I have an USB-TTL adapter in COM4.

Can I do IO over it as an IO-device or such?

Perhaps an device addable to the system as "modem"

Just wondering, would be fun to have something extra to play with.

Grtz,

Sijmen.

• Like 2

So I thought about starting to learn assembler again.

I'm using my Thinkpad with Fedora 27 , installed Eclipse, WUDSN , Wine 3.0.1 stable and downloaded Altirra 3.10 .

Using Mads 207 ( well the 211 dated DPR version ) I can compile and run programs but once I enable the debugger , Wine starts to freeze after 5 seconds.

Anybody got an idea or has a similar issue ?

Is it possible in altirra to listen or to communicate over a com-port?

Say I have an USB-TTL adapter in COM4.

Can I do IO over it as an IO-device or such?

Perhaps an device addable to the system as "modem"

I would love to see something like this. I make of AppleWin's COM port functionality from time to time for testing and working with old BBS software and terminal proggies. I would even like to see parallel port functionality too. Just friendly suggestions.

I'm using my Thinkpad with Fedora 27 , installed Eclipse, WUDSN , Wine 3.0.1 stable and downloaded Altirra 3.10 .

Using Mads 207 ( well the 211 dated DPR version ) I can compile and run programs but once I enable the debugger , Wine starts to freeze after 5 seconds.

I've replicated my setup under OS X 10.11 also with Wine 2.0 , the 32 bit bottled version of Altirra 3.0 and Mads 2.08 (2/11) and I have the same issue once I enable the debugger.

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-3.20-test3.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-3.20-test3-src.zip

• Full disk emulation: Read Address FDC command no longer drops sectors with CRC errors, interrupted Write Sector commands still change the sector, Write Sector now overwrites the DAM and can remove CRC errors, and partial support for 1771 nonstandard sector sizes. This allows the Happy Copier to correctly copy CRC errors.
  • Rotate Disks now works correctly with full drive emulators.
  • Debugger: .disktrack can now be used with D2: and above; assert/trace directives are no longer run twice for carts; fixed non-816 modes occasionally showing the wrong effective address for abs,X/abs.Y modes in history; .basic* commands have improved support for Turbo-Basic XL.
  • Added support for debugging banked cartridges. Currently this is only implemented for MaxFlash cartridges, but the syntax is t:bank'offset, e.g. t:$04'A100 gives the memory location at $A100 after accessing $D504. This can matched to MADS banked symbols via special symbol names to tell the debugger the relationship between hardware banks and MADS banks. See Altirra Extended BASIC for an example.
  • VBXE now gives narrow width for the %11 width setting. (thx HeavenTQA!)
  • Fixed CPU microcode issue that caused Step Over to effectively become Step Out when an interrupt was encountered.
  • Fixed broken CIO acceleration options in Configure System.
  • Added input map preset for arrow keys -> paddle.
  • AltirraOS and Altirra BASIC now show version numbers in the firmware selectors and have changelists in the rom set HTML readme.
  • AltirraOS is now versioned separately from the emulator and updated to 3.11:
    • FDIV fixed so 0/0 properly gives an error instead of returning 0.
    • AFP no longer accepts a single period.
    • Fixed occasional bogus errors from EXP10.
    • Boot screen now stomps COLDST to force BASIC cold boot on reset.
  • Like 14

I have no idea specifically, but generally I would suggest not trying to setup Wine yourself if you have the "Play on Linux" package available. If you have access to that package (I use Debian/Ubuntu/Mint so don't know if your distro does) I would uninstall Wine and the install PoL and use it to install Wine. I have no idea if that will do anything for your issue, but PoL makes the normally touchy process of getting Wine installed and configured right pretty easy. Plus it lets you easily manage more than 1 version of Wine if you need to.

Found a bug ! When I run Altirra with xex as parameter, and no instance is running, in other words, when the Altirra is freshly started, it wont load debug symbols. It's new in 3.2.

If there is already an instance running (and I have reuse turned on), it will load the new xex and symbols just fine.

Found a bug ! When I run Altirra with xex as parameter, and no instance is running, in other words, when the Altirra is freshly started, it wont load debug symbols. It's new in 3.2.

If there is already an instance running (and I have reuse turned on), it will load the new xex and symbols just fine.

This is an intentional breaking change -- see the change log. Symbols are now only loaded if the debugger is active (/debug or manually opened). This prevents unwanted debugger functionality from being activated when launching an image, particularly if hidden within a .zip file.

Realised that new behavior but what is the best setup then with WUDSN Ide because now I need to start Altirra 2x (standing in debug mode)

The emulator doesn't need to be launched twice. It just needs to be launched with the /debug switch as well as the name of the program to debug.

• Like 2

This is an intentional breaking change -- see the change log. Symbols are now only loaded if the debugger is active (/debug or manually opened). This prevents unwanted debugger functionality from being activated when launching an image, particularly if hidden within a .zip file.

I don't understand. I run the xex. Press F8. The program breaks. I now want to use label name to jump to address. I can't. That's intentional ? So how do I do it ?

Did you try the last posts usage by Phaeron just above your message ROger?

Oh, haven't notice that one. Thanks.

Anyway, it's far from optimal. 90% of the time I don't need the debugger. I just want see if the program runs. And the debugger takes like 50% of the screen. That's on the big monitor. On my small party netbook it takes 80% of the screen.

Maybe some option which would load the symbols but not open the debugger window ?

".loadsym <file>" can be used but it maybe more helpful if Altirra could try and load the lbl or lst file with the same path/name as the running program if no file is specified, as it does when it loads the binary when the debugger is running. Better still could be that it does this automatic if the file hasn't been imported already when the debugger is opened.

Edited by Wrathchild

".loadsym <file>" can be used but it maybe more helpful if Altirra could try and load the lbl or lst file with the same path/name as the running program if no file is specified, as it does when it loads the binary when the debugger is running. Better still could be that it does this automatic if the file hasn't been imported already when the debugger is opened.Y

Yep, that would do nicely.

Ok, this is litterally the first time ever i heard of Altirra... downloaded and installed it immediatly, this is so cool... unbelievable stuff. Wish i knew about this years ago...

If you get stuck then ask away...Just make sure you have ream system roms if you want max compatibility...

• Like 2

Seems not...Looks very broken on Space Harrier and seems like the last 5th of the right hand side of the screen isn't being worked on by any filter or the like..

Will continue to play

Scan lines show the missing bit of the screen best..

Edited by Mclaneinc

If you get stuck then ask away...Just make sure you have ream system roms if you want max compatibility...

And make at least rudimentary attempt to RTFM first. That would be appreciated. I don't think anyone will rip you for it if you don't but... it's appreciated just the same.