IGNORED

Can You Connect Another Console to Xbox One and Record from It?

Games Retrospect

I don't have a capture device yet, so I was looking for alternative ways of recording gameplay from consoles I already have. The Xbox One immediately came to mind because the console's operating system has record capabilities built in, so I think I'm going to be using that from now on. On top of that, I believe the Upload Studio app lets you record up to 30 minutes of gameplay which is quite handy. So here's my question: can I connect another console via HDMI in and record gameplay from that? That would save me a lot of time until I can save enough money to import a capture device, so I was wondering if I could connect a, let's say, SNES Classic Edition to the Xbox One and use the capture capabilities of the latter to record videos... which I would then upload to the PC so that I can edit them. I know it's a hassle and the process involves too many devices, but I was wondering if anyone tried this. Thanks!

This will not work. The game you're playing or passing through into the HDMI need to be installed directly to the console's hard drive to have any type of recording option.

I still own my launch day OG XBoxOne and I've tried to record from the pass through HDMI, even tried recording from the console's dash and there is no option to do so. The only time I can ever record is from within a game I'm playing, thats been installed to XBox One's hard drive. There is no other way,sorry.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol

This will not work. The game you're playing or passing through into the HDMI need to be installed directly to the console's hard drive to have any type of recording option.

I still own my launch day OG XBoxOne and I've tried to record from the pass through HDMI, even tried recording from the console's dash and there is no option to do so. The only time I can ever record is from within a game I'm playing, thats been installed to XBox One's hard drive. There is no other way,sorry.

Thanks for clearing that up! I assume you can still record gameplay from original Xbox and Xbox 360 games that are playable on the Xbox One right?

My Xbox One does in fact have an HDMI input. I bought my console at Wal-mart a few years ago and I got the launch version at the time. So in the follow-up comment you still say that this is not possible, but have you tried it?

No, your Xbox One does not have an HDMI input. It has an HDMI passthrough.

I highly doubt Microsoft would design a system that would allow you to broadcast content other than Xbone games onto Twitch. If this were possible, many people would be streaming movies and pay-per-view TV in this manner.

No, I haven't tried it. Sounds like you have everything you need to try it yourself, though? ;)

• Like 1

Yep. Whether by disk or digital download,as long as you have it installed to the XBox One hard drive, it will record. I recorded some Panzer Dragoon Orta awhile back,looks good but nowhere as good as a real capture card, there's just too much compression and the game's frame rate is reduced to 25-30 fps sadly. Its pretty convenient though,allot quicker than setting up a messy batch of cables and a capture card that needs to be near a PC that's for sure, and for what it is its good enough. But anyways yeah as long as its an XBox, or XBox360, on the backwards compatibility list the XBox One will give you recording options.

I've tried allot of crazy things with the One, such as trying to record sports broadcasts with the XBox One passthrough,even had a both a Saturn and PS2 go through the passthrough using adapters and HDMI converters and it wouldn't work. You simply do not have any option to record these when you pull up the XBox Home button. But the minute you try to do the same with an installed game to the XBox One's hard drive, you get recording options when you bring up the XBox Home button on the controller. It'd be amazing if they allowed you to record anything with the passthrough,but yeah they seem to have all bases covered with a cut off point. Meh,oh well.

Thanks for clearing that up! I assume you can still record gameplay from original Xbox and Xbox 360 games that are playable on the Xbox One right?

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol

I've never tried to record anything with the XBox One, and I've had it for years. When it works for an installed game, do you actually mean record or just stream to twitch/mixer? I know you can always replay the last 30 seconds of gameplay for little captures, but I didn't know you could record a lengthy session.

I've never tried to record anything with the XBox One, and I've had it for years. When it works for an installed game, do you actually mean record or just stream to twitch/mixer? I know you can always replay the last 30 seconds of gameplay for little captures, but I didn't know you could record a lengthy session.

I think I recorded a clip once but couldn't upload it from the console for whatever reason. I've also had the console for years. Now I'm trying to start a YouTube channel, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on a capture card, so recording directly from the console and saving footage to a flash drive or external hard drive that I can connect to my main computer for editing sounds awesome. I found a bunch of people talking about Upload Studio an exclusive app for the Xbox One that allows you to record up to 30 minutes of gameplay which seems quite convenient. Here's a source: https://www.reddit.com/r/CruciblePlaybook/comments/4efyci/xbox_can_record_30_min_video_clips/

• Like 1

Cool. Anybody want to watch yet another Minecraft video?? LOL

I seem to remember when xbo first launched peoples rumor mills kicked in that xbo could record external stuff, like a dvr for tv, but I'm pretty sure Microsoft said no. Granted, how much video would you get on what's left of 500gb once you have a few games on it?

• Like 1

Even if you can record via the Xbox One's HDMI-in, you are going to experience noticeable input lag when playing the game on the TV from the One's HDMI out. If you really want to jump into YouTube stuff, jump in all the way, not take baby steps and half-measures. Best just to bite the bullet and get a capture with a lag free HDMI passthrough.

• Like 1

Hot off the presses

Xbox One update adds ability to broadcast "everything"

Until now, Mixer would pause any time you switched games or brought up the Home screen. There are options to hide your email and notifications for your privacy.

It's not quite "everything", though - you won't be able to stream any HEVC applcations like Netflix, YouTube or iPlayer.

• Like 1