IGNORED

Atari 5200 Sophia RGB Mod

BeefMan

• 5 months later...

I've installed a Sophia into my 5200. Its an easy install. Let me know if you have any questions

I had picked up the VBXE before the Sophia. However never installed VBXE as it had to be installed in XE in order to flash 5200 firmware.

So I've pulled out the GTIA, mounted the Sophia on it, but isn't there a wire that needs to be soldered up for audio? I'm also going to look into 3D printing a panel to replace the expansion door so I can mount the DB9 port to it, thus making it so I don't have to modify the case :)

• Like 1

I just looked at the install instructions Simius PM to me. Looks like it taps audio also from the GTIA. Here's what he told me:

Installation goes the same way, as in other computers. Remove GTIA chip, put the additional socket, put Sophia board, put GTIA chip, connect the ribbon cable. That's all.

Going to install in 5200. Same procedure?

Yes.

If you are not getting sound I'll pull my 5200 out of storage and post pics of the install.

Pics or it didn't happen. And if a wire is supposed to be soldered for audio, I wonder how that's worked with Atari 8-bit computers that already had the Dual POKEY mods performed on them.

Is your 5200 a 2-port or a 4-port? If a 4-power, has it already been A/V and power modded?

My understanding of the Sophia is that it is just a parallel video output path. It shouldn't have anything to do with audio. Everything should be pass through and function just like it did before the addition of the Sophia circuit board.

That does remind me I still need to install my Sophia RGB into my 4-port. Thinking of changing the output connector to the mini-din8 that I can directly plug into the Framemeister (or OSSC using the mini-din8->scart adapter from Tim's 2600rgb kit)

Edited by john_q_atari

Pics or it didn't happen. And if a wire is supposed to be soldered for audio, I wonder how that's worked with Atari 8-bit computers that already had the Dual POKEY mods performed on them.

Is your 5200 a 2-port or a 4-port? If a 4-power, has it already been A/V and power modded?

Hmm, there's a little wire stripped off the provided cable, and I swear I saw somewhere that it was wired up for audio, I should check the PM I got from him again.

It's a 4-port and no mods on it. Funny enough at one point I'd decided not to add the Sophia (I'd actually gotten the Sophia before the 5200 due to an eBay mishap). The RF quality actually amazed me on my LG TV. But then the last few times I powered it on, it looked like crap (not sure if I bumped the RF box or what the deal is. Maybe I just had on my fuzzy filter!)

I wouldn't know about the Sophia and Dual Pokeys, my 130XE has the Dual Pokeys but has a VBXE.

Ha, to quote Simius, "Installation is very easy. You can do it." Groovy.

Also; I have this particular cable I'm going to use it with. https://coolnovelties.co.uk/coolnovelties/atari-800-1200-65xe-130xe/307-atari-sophia-rgb-mod-board-revision-b-to-scart-cable-0705693506562.html?search_query=atari+sophia&results=2

Edited by leech

Ha, to quote Simius, "Installation is very easy. You can do it." Groovy.

Also; I have this particular cable I'm going to use it with. https://coolnovelties.co.uk/coolnovelties/atari-800-1200-65xe-130xe/307-atari-sophia-rgb-mod-board-revision-b-to-scart-cable-0705693506562.html?search_query=atari+sophia&results=2

I used as similar cable from a US supplier. I'll pull my 5200 out later and post pictures of the install.

Well, I think you guys can tell which one is which.

But unfortunately I don't have audio working through the Sophia -> SCART -> OSSC -> HDMI -> TV connection.

The picture with the OSSC is absolutely BRILLIANT though! Wow, like the colors just pop and make the RF look muddy as hell.

Just need to figure out the audio bit, and I'll be golden!

post-16458-0-48546600-1548909058_thumb.jpg

post-16458-0-84840100-1548909079_thumb.jpg

Well, I think you guys can tell which one is which.

But unfortunately I don't have audio working through the Sophia -> SCART -> OSSC -> HDMI -> TV connection.

The picture with the OSSC is absolutely BRILLIANT though! Wow, like the colors just pop and make the RF look muddy as hell.

Just need to figure out the audio bit, and I'll be golden!

I'll open my modded 5200 and post pics when I'm back home in a couple of days.

Picture is perfect! So much better than the old s-video mods.

Pulled the 5200 out of storage. Turns out I did tap the audio. The connector line runs to one leg of a 0.1 uf ceramic capacitor which is to a leg of a resister (no label). Photos are attached to show connection.

This is a 4 port model and I also did the power mod to eliminate the need to use a switchbox. I like to drill as little holes as possible into the cases. Connectors were placed in the removable cover over the expansion port.

IMG 4381

IMG 4380

IMG 4379

IMG 4378

IMG 4377

IMG 4376

IMG 4375(1)

Sweet, it works. Really quiet compared to the RF out though, so not sure if the audio worked before, I could barely hear it before I turned it up.

What do the two jumpers do? In your images it looks like they are both off, but I get a black screen if they are both off.

I have an older of the Sophia. The jumpers are connecting the circuit so it is "on." Without the jumpers it does not work. It's my understanding the new boards do not have jumpers. Instead the board is just laid out so those two points are always "on."

I also think there is a Sophia version that outputs to DVI instead of RGB.

Yeah, I spcifivally wanted the RGB version, which he still sells. Not sure why the audio is so quiet, but it otherwise is working great. Now time to figure out the OSSC setting for aspect ratio and I am good to go.

Not too sure you can correct the aspect with the OSSC. There might be ways to alter and squish the image back to looking like 4:3 and saving that as a profile. My TV actually has the option to still set a 4:3 aspect on digital inputs so I just have to switch that back and forth manually.