IGNORED

Cannot press "up" on 2600 joystick

F4LL3N

Good evening all,

I hope you are well well, its been a little while since I have posted.

A friend of mine works at a school where they were getting rid of a 2600 so I bought it from them. I got it home, tuned it on and all works fine. Except that I can not go "up" on the joystick. Tried another joystick and alas same problem.

I took a look at the ports and have noticed that a pin has either snapped off or is missing. Has anyone had any luck trying to replace / repair something like this in the past? I have uploaded a picture.

Many thanks for your help.

post-34808-0-20583900-1534182634_thumb.jpg

Edited by F4LL3N

I can't see your photo, but I would think it would be pretty easy to transplant another 9-pin connector from a working device if you have some soldering skills.

See http://atariage.com/forums/topic/163419-joystick-port-pin-broken/

I am happy to give soldering a go, but I wouldn't want to ruin a perfectly good device to get this one up and running. If I can somehow replace the pin that would be great, or somehow purchase the connector?

It's a standard part.

https://www.alliedelec.com/l-com-connectivity-sd9p/70126496/?mkwid=sO60Qefrq&pcrid=30980760979&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CjwKCAjw2MTbBRASEiwAdYIpseQe0hn-h3ZSAusQhAg8tYmCKWuRzMX9eKVe83UtsztS0KKe2CJNTxoC9D0QAvD_BwE

I'll bet someone around here could fix it for you or lend the part you need if you make a post with a more descriptive title, like "need help replacing 2600 controller port."

Or you could just swap them around and make it a one-player-only system

Or play the handful of games that only use the right joystick (Basketball, Towering Inferno)

There are lots of replacement DB9 connectors, so it shouldn't be necessary to cannibalize another console for one. Here, for example, is a set of four new connectors from B&C ComputerVisions:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1314065215121?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&camp

EDIT:

That's a more common variety of DB9 connector, but it won't work as a direct replacement for the original, which has a molded plastic shell and right-angled through-hole pins.

• Like 3

"Atari 2600 / 2600A / 2600JR, most Atari products DB-9 Male right angle connector. FK100307 / CO19062 $1.50 each"

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/2600_Tech_Tips.htm#based

Exact PCB mount Atari replacement. Send them an email for shipping quote. Buy extras. Not hard to replace.

post-52250-0-12971400-1534194138.jpg

Edited by spriggamortis

Just to add - I looked at the eBay listing but it'll cost me $40 + tax to get it to the UK. There are no UK equivalents unfortunately.

This is exactly what you need. I have some spares, however it's still shipping from the the United States so it might not be cheap. I can send you one for $1 + shipping. If interested, PM me your address and i'll get you a quote. It's a tedious repair, but some solder braid and some patience should net good results.

Edited by Jeremy Popp
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is exactly what you need. I have some spares, however it's still shipping from the the United States so it might not be cheap. I can send you one for $1 + shipping. If interested, PM me your address and i'll get you a quote. It's a tedious repair, but some solder braid and some patience should net good results.

I was contacting the shop mentioned higher in this thread but they have stopped responding. My grandparents are heading to the US in September. Would you be able to post a couple of spares to Pennsylvania? I would imagine that would be a lot cheaper than posting to the UK! Really appreciate it if you have a few left?

I was contacting the shop mentioned higher in this thread but they have stopped responding. My grandparents are heading to the US in September. Would you be able to post a couple of spares to Pennsylvania? I would imagine that would be a lot cheaper than posting to the UK! Really appreciate it if you have a few left?

PM Sent.