IGNORED

Universal games cases. Loose cart solution

insertclevernamehere

So as far as I know, there's no way of firmly placing Atari 2600 cartridges in the universal game cases. I've put up with them loosely in the boxes as it's still better than having them without boxes or paying sometimes silly money for cib copies. They fit snugly enough in there when the box is closed and they don't rattle about. Problem is when you open the box, the cart slips and slides all over the place and there's no where to neatly put the manual inside the box, if it fits at all. Most of my original manuals are hidden behind the cover. I have some manuals printed from pdf's and I printed one off at home as a test, on cheap paper that fits neatly where the cartridges go and I've velcroed the cartridge to the other side. It's not ideal but it looks neat and tidy. I've just done the one for now because I'm not 100% sold on it yet. What does everybody think? Velcro on the back of a cart a travesty? Like it? Anybody have any better solutions? Your opinions please.

post-63935-0-15425800-1534182533_thumb.jpeg

post-63935-0-13812800-1534182561_thumb.jpeg

Just so we're clear, all my cartridges are used. They're not just for displaying.

+1. All my carts are used. Although I do collect for the thrill .. I'm a 100% player. No variants. If I have the game, I have the game. I leave the boxed games for the next level collectors. But I digress. However, like you, I still wish to protect my loose carts. These protectors are gr8, tough plastic and easy stackable. Don't take up much space. Sort them alphabetically for easy selection (Thx Save! ;)) and booyah! :)

Edited by spriggamortis

+1. All my carts are used. Although I do collect for the thrill .. I'm a 100% player. No variants. If I have the game, I have the game. I leave the boxed games for the next level collectors. But I digress. However, like you, I still wish to protect my loose carts. These protectors are gr8, tough plastic and easy stackable. Don't take up much space. Sort them alphabetically for easy selection (Thx Save! ;)) and booyah! :)

It seemed that because you added in your first comment that your carts are played, you may have assumed mine weren't. Just wanted to clarify. No anger or defensiveness in the tone of my response was intended. All is good.??

It seemed that because you added in your first comment that your carts are played, you may have assumed mine weren't. Just wanted to clarify. No anger or defensiveness in the tone of my response was intended. All is good.

:thumbsup: All good. Read nothing into it. The internet is turning into a tippy toe place. Many tissues need to be issued at times! :)

Edited by spriggamortis

• 2 years later...
On 8/14/2018 at 6:10 AM, Spriggy said:

thanks for the recommendation, just placed an order!

Original poster of this thread here.  Since the very first box, I have changed to using 2 penny sized velcro stickers.  Not ideal but I hate how the carts slide about in the game cases when you open them.  One day I will make folded, card inserts like you get in homebrews or foam for the right side of the box.  Then bye bye velcro. For the manuals, maybe some press-on vinyl envelopes on the left side.  A project for the future.  Since Covid, the list of original run games I want has expanded by around 40.  Over the summer, I managed to do most of the manuals from pdf's using Pages on the iPad while sat in the backyard and printing them off from my own printer.  Now the weather is cooling, time to turn my attention to the covers. Many of them don't have a ready made cover on thecoverproject.net so I downloaded gimp (free photoshop style software) for my desktop and have been practicing with that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
This may not suit your path, but these are great imo. I only collect loose carts and use them. Some of the longer carts don't fit (like IMAGIC etc), but few and far between.

https://www.retroprotection.com/Atari-2600-Cartridge-protectors_c261.htm

post-52250-0-37858400-1534195302.jpg

This is the route I chose for cost and playability reasons. I also like the tight fit of the cases. It is a bit annoying that they don’t fit some of the odd shaped cartridges. I guess I’ll have to find a different solution for those. But for the money I don’t see how this could be beat besides plastic ziplocks.

• 1 year later...
On 10/24/2021 at 4:35 PM, insertclevernamehere said:

Latest solution for neatly storing my Atari carts in Universal Game Cases.  Far more work but far more preferable to my original velcro solution.

C97376D8-3CF9-4387-9E10-1C164CDB646E.jpeg

A00D11B3-9605-4A93-9D65-BA9E1660ED11.jpeg

Beautiful work on that. Do you have a cutting machine or do you do it by hand?

On 10/24/2021 at 3:35 PM, insertclevernamehere said:

Latest solution for neatly storing my Atari carts in Universal Game Cases.  Far more work but far more preferable to my original velcro solution.

Yeah, the velcro isn't a deal breaker for me but I've bought a few carts that way over the years and they do kind of annoy me. That cardboard insert is tits!! Looks great man!

On 10/26/2021 at 4:34 PM, roadrunner said:

Small plastic shoe box will hold 17 standard size Atari 2600 or Atari 7800 carts.

Then they're still effectively loose.  My carts are in one box each with the cover art and displayed on a shelf.  This is my collection so far.  I have other Atari games but they are not quite ready to be displayed yet.  Only the Colecovision games on the bottom shelf have no card inserts yet.

B1F8B664-2288-4CD5-AED1-D35F4923E99E.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...