IGNORED

Atari XL White/Cream Paint Color

ivop

hi Russg,

i think you may have some form of Protanopia :)

I have about 15 different XLs and NONE are black.

the XL range is definitely a dark brown (keyboard and keyboard case surround)

I definitely think you have a better vocabulary than me. red blindness=protanopia.

But I don't believe I have color deficit.

If you look at the pictures in Yellowman's post a few back, they look black and white to me.

Maybe a little not bright white, but definitely not beige or brown, but dark black.

OK, I'll take off-white and dark black.

The picture in Yellowman's post is accurate.

Well... His picture is of a painted XL, so it doesn't count

OK. I looked again, how about slightly grey.

Well, I see I lose in other opinions.

Now a little more. Here's a picture. Clearly shows a little brown.post-21816-0-08210500-1536086865_thumb.jpg

Edited by russg

I definitely think you have a better vocabulary than me. red blindness=protanopia.

But I don't believe I have color deficit.

If you look at the pictures in Yellowman's post a few back, they look black and white to me.

Maybe a little not bright white, but definitely not beige or brown, but dark black.

OK, I'll take off-white and dark black.

The picture in Yellowman's post is accurate.

Well... His picture is of a painted XL, so it doesn't count

OK. I looked again, how about slightly grey.

Well, I see I lose in other opinions.

Now a little more. Here's a picture. Clearly shows a little brown.attachicon.gifP9041364.JPG

I'd say (probably) bad monitor. ;-)

but to clarify protanopia: it applies to the whole Red/orange/yellow area of the spectrum. the main primary component of Brown is Red.

For a protanope, the brightness of red, orange, and yellow are much reduced compared to normal. This dimming can be so pronounced that reds may be confused with black or dark gray. They may learn to distinguish reds from yellows primarily on the basis of their apparent brightness or lightness, not on any perceptible hue difference.

Edited by Guest

Yep, too light indeed.

But my 600XL looks like new so no 1015 for me either.....is there a 1014 ?

As it seems that trust in my suggestion is very limited here my "proof":

post-7778-0-62439400-1536097730_thumb.jpg

Remarks:

* The artificial light doesn't help to illustrate the real color (this was the reason I didn't post an image before, as it isn't really meaningful).

* My 600XL is also in a quite good condition and far from being significantly yellowed.

• Like 3

I don't know anything about spray paints.

But the XLs are white and black. The 400/800 are brown/tan.

XL's are light BEIGE and BROWN. There is no black on XL's

Apropos of nothing, this made me think of the opening scene in the movie Airplane.... (The white zone is for loading and unloading....) :)

As it seems that trust in my suggestion is very limited here my "proof":

attachicon.gif1015.JPG

Remarks:

* The artificial light doesn't help to illustrate the real color (this was the reason I didn't post an image before, as it isn't really meaningful).

* My 600XL is also in a quite good condition and far from being significantly yellowed.

Wooooo, I would never dare to doubt you.. !!

Its just that my 600XLs seem a bit lighter than other models....or is this because it has smalle beige parts ?

By the way....that looks like a very cool mod on that monitor !! Do you have more pics ?

Well here is my result after countless layers, sanding, sags in paint, more sanding and spraying....

All in all Im happy with the result....the color is VERY close, and once you have it next to your other stuff with a bit of distance no-one will see anyndifference....

post-25272-0-20164100-1536596853_thumb.jpeg

post-25272-0-17879500-1536596864_thumb.jpeg

post-25272-0-59724600-1536596880_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 9/10/2018 at 6:28 PM, Level42 said:

By the way....that looks like a very cool mod on that monitor !! Do you have more pics ?

Since I'm in need to gain some space, I sell this TV now:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/143397727850

Here you can find quite "more pics".

Edited by Irgendwer

Recently I used a paint mixing service to get Indigo Purple for a painting/mirror frame and I noticed that you can bring in your own sample color! They use a kind of spectrometer to determine the color and then mix an exact replica.

https://www.praxis.nl/voordemakers/verfmengservice/

I suppose if you bring your case and have them scan the inside, you should be able to get pretty close to the original color your particular Atari was back in the day.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 2