IGNORED

HDMI to a CRT?

jhd

There are multiple hardware solutions to upscale legacy video sources to be compatible with HD TVs, but is there any way to do the opposite?

I am still using a large CRT as my primary TV (and a smaller CRT TV dedicated to gaming). Both have composite and RF inputs, only.

Now that they are readily available at retail, I want to purchase a NES Classic, but that apparently only outputs HDMI. Is there any way to "downscale" the signal and connect it to a legacy TV?

Please no suggestions about upgrading to a newer TV. That is the obvious solution, but I am otherwise happy with my current set-up and I simply do not like to spend money to replace working hardware.

There are a couple of models on ebay. Search for hdmi to s-video. Look for ones that are a powered box as opposed to a passive cable adapter. Hard to say how they perform regarding latency or output 240p. Consider getting an emulator that outputs 240p analog. Do you stream videos with your setup; what do you use?

Thanks for the response. I will explore those options.

Do you stream videos with your setup; what do you use?

Nope -- I do have cable TV, however. ;) The cable box is connected to the TV, which constantly remains tuned to channel 3.

The picture quality could definitely be better, but it is adequate, and I am cheap.

there exit downscale adapters with caveat. most dont work with hdcp. another issue is aspect ratio. it will either squish the picture or letterbox it, resulting in a scaled or windowboxed image with lower fidelity, even compared to original hardware. if you have a console tv with a flat top, consider placing a 1080p gaming monitor on top of the crt.

also if you have an old svga crt pc monitor, you can run an hdmi to vga adapter to it. many low end pc monitors took up to 1280x1024 60 hz. these displays, being analog devices, should accept up to 1080p 60hz (slight hscan o.c.) since analog devices are built to accomodate 10% component drift.

• Like 1

I had an HDMI to AV adapter to stream movies at my parents house, who still have the 32" Sony Tinitron. However, although it plays Stella fine, it keeps crapping out about every 20 minutes when streaming amazon and we end up watching it on my laptop out of fear of damaging one of the three devices involved.

• Like 1

I saw a HDMI to VGA (DE15) converter, powered by the HDMI output on eBay and I didn't believe it so I bought one.

It works, does audio as well. So there are various types of converters out there and often dealing in those rare types of requirements.

Of course the source video needs to be able to be turned down, e.g. you're not going to convert a 1080 picture to composite with a passive device.