IGNORED

Nintendo is Expensive $$$

So now that i've owned a Switch, a PS4 and an Xbone for a few months, i have noticed that it's much more expensive to game on the Nintendo platform.

Hardware cost of entry isn't that dissimilar, though resale is typically better for Nintendo consoles, but really its the games...man, the games!

Typical life cycles of PS4 or Xbox Game: Game comes out, is $60 dollars, a few months later $15-$25 dollars, a few years later, $10-$12

Typical life cycle of a Nintendo Game: Game come out is full price $40-$60 dollars, a few months later is definitely full price, a few years later, full price. Several years later, if lucky to be a nintendo select, goes on sale for "Selects" price of whatever, $20 or $30.

I get that the cartridges make games more expensive (3DS, Switch) but it's more than that really. Nintendo doesn't have any competition. If a game comes out on Xbox (lets say Rise of the Tomb raider) you can buy it on there, or on PS4, which drives prices down. But there is only one place to play Mario games. Yes you can't buy Super Luckys Tale (Xbone) on any other console, but lets be honest, no one wants that game, haha.

At any rate, buying a lot more on PS4 and Xbone these days because it's so damn cheap! I think this is another reason third parties are weary of bringing games to Nintendo, because they are competing against Nintendo's own very good exclusives on that platform, and becaus they know anything they bring to the platform will just be outsold by cheaper offerings by themselves on steam, xbone, ps4, etc.

It's interesting to think about, but there is a serious premium demanded to this day for Nintendo first party software on their hardware. It's no wonder they are hesitant to get out of the hardware business...as soon as they do that control and power to make their own pricing and control the media format goes out the window and they just turn into another Sega.

• Like 2

This was the case for the Wii as well, and that was disc-based not cart based. Games would stay at full retail forever while they dropped rapidly on PC/PS4/Xbox.

I suspect it's because there are so many games released on those platforms compared to Nintendo, older games have to drop in price to maintain sales.

It was the case with the Wii, and Wii U..and 3DS...but it's only first party games! Third party games come down almost as quickly as they do on other platforms.

Again I think it's because Nintendo has no real competition for the types of first party games it makes, none that have stuck around, been consistent, or remained exclusive over the years.

For example, Hot Shots Golf is a great series that can compete with Mario Golf, but recent games have been hit or miss. Little Big Planet is another, but the characters lack the charm of Mario. Crash Bandicoot is a great series, but there were some iffy games and it's no longer exclusive. No one can quite put in a bottle (or on a disc, haha) what Nintendo has and it drives me nuts because it keeps the games at full price for way too long! haha.

It will all be moot once even the Big N transitions to fully digital downloads and the secondary market is elminated. Then, when their Ministry of History releases a new platform some years down the road and ceases to support the previous software, it's just a matter of time before your hardware fails and you're left with memories. Only this time, you'll need to be far more clever to source older unsupported games...if the possibility even exists. Better yet, the current gen of gamers themselves will not see this as an issue since they've been slowly conditioned to accept such things as normal, and viewpoints such as this will be largely regarded as the ramblings of an old crazy hermit, living on a mountain, with rooms filled with plastic objects once known as 'cartridges'...but since video games will be an illegal activity in the future, nobody will even know what these things were...what their purpose even was, were they to stumble upon something once referred to as a 'console', nor could they hook it up to any sort of display...it wouldn't even be a consideration, in this post-video game, heavy metal dystopian future.

But yeah, those Nintendo carts, boy they keep their value some good.

• Like 4

Mostly first party, but yeah. Nintendo knows how to make games with long term appeal and can keep the price up. If you don't mind used, try pawnshops. You can often get games for like $10. I wouldn't bother with gamestop, what's the point in New opened games, or used fire only a buck difference than full-blown retail?

I wouldn't say Nintendo is really more expensive over all, yeah the first party, which I buy a lot of, but I don't buy near the number of games onI nintendo. Third party I typically get elsewhere, so I likely spend as much on other systems.

• Like 1

This is one reason why I've just never been all that into any Nintendo console. I'm usually some years behind on new releases, because I just have too much stuff to play; I rarely buy anything right when it comes out. So I'm used to paying $20 or less for most of my games, even new (but I'm usually ok with buying used to save even a few more bucks).

But that just doesn't work with Nintendo. So I end up buying almost nothing, because by the time I get around to actually wanting to buy most of their games, it's been a couple years and I just can't see paying $60 for a 2 year old game. I'd rather buy four games of the same age for the PS4 (or whatever) instead.

I only have four total games for my Switch right now and I've practically forgotten about the system at this point. I just don't really think about buying stuff for it. That's what always happens to me with Nintendo, and this is definitely one reason.

• Like 2

Yeah, I realized the other day I have more Vita and PS4 games than I have 3ds or Switch games and I've had those systems since day one vs the Sony ones much more recently. This happened completely by accident, and I realized it's because the Sony games are a half to a quarter of the price.

Paper Mario Color Splash is just now down to $41 at the local Walmart, 3 years later. I would snap it up no problem if it was $20.

Meanwhile I saw about 10 good PS4 games I could get for $15-20.

I still buy Nintendo, I just have to be more crafty about it, wait forever, etc. I want Kirby and Donkey Kong for example but no way am I paying $60 for those!

Edited by travistouchdown

i had said in another thread that i'm on the fence about buying one- i think the idea of plunking down 300 bucks for it is kind of what stings me. it's not that i'd have trouble paying for it, but it's letting *go* of the cash all in one swoop that gives me pause, lol.

that being said, the console has been out long enough that i'd be willing to save back some of my 'gaming budget' from a few checks and pick one up. even though i've played it to absolute death (and i find some comfort in the repetitive-ness), Diablo 3 may be the final thing that sends me to the store for a Switch, lol. i'd be interested to see, too, how it compares with carting around my 3DS (which i love playing very much). apples and oranges, probably.

Yes you can't buy Super Luckys Tale (Xbone) on any other console, but lets be honest, no one wants that game, haha.

I actually bought an Xbox One just to play Super Lucky's Tale, no joke. :lol:

7CC0JgB.jpg

After beating the game I resold the system and actually made a few bucks on it, since I got the Xbox One during one of eBay's 20% off sale days. Then a few weeks later after I sold the system they released a bunch of DLC for Super Lucky's Tale with new levels and stories and such, because apparently that is something I forgot modern game developers do...

@!#?@ my life.

• Like 5

I've only recently entered the current gen when I bought a PS4 Pro and Switch about a month ago. I was surprised how inexpensive new PS4 games were, especially on sale. Horizon Zero Dawn was only $10 from Best Buy. Dragon Quest Builders was around $20. I ended up buying DQ Builders on the Switch, and it was closer to $50 at full price (I got it for $40 new from eBay). I think one of the best ways to use those 10%, 15%, 20% off eBay coupons is to buy Switch games because they don't seem to go on sale.

Jin was it any good? It's $20 right now and I'm tempted just for the novelty

I loved Super Lucky's Tale. It was easily my favorite 3D platformer that I've ever played. Moreso than Super Mario 64, Spyro or Crash Bandicoot, or Sonic Adventure. It was just a fantasticly well designed game that I really hope gets ported to the PS4 and Switch some day.

The only complaint I could honestly make about Super Lucky's Tale is that two big chunks of the game are locked behind $5 DLC packages. It's total bull that in order to experience the whole game you have to pay an additional $10 on top of whatever you paid for the disc at retail to download the missing portions of the game. That's not DLC, that's a paywall.

Super Lucky's Tale is an astoundingly charming, beautiful, and all around well designed game, the best of it's genre I've ever played even, it's method of distribution just sucks. Honestly I'd wait to see if they do a Gold Edition or something like that at some point where you get the entire game on the disc rather than having portions of it locked behind a digital download paywall.

Edited by Jin

Nintendo...The MOPAR of gaming!

I had a friend who was into fast cars, hot rods, etc.,...Telling me while looking at my Plymouth Roadrunner: If you want to build a Chevy, say a Camaro, Chevelle, or Nova, it'll cost you X dollars...You want to build a Ford, like a Mustang, DOUBLE it...You want to build a Dodge or Plymouth, Charger, Super Bee, Road Runner, Cuda, etc., TRIPLE it!

• Like 1

Nintendo isn't more expensive, just 1st party published, and only depends on two factors. If it is overpublished and undersold, they drop it in a matter of months (look what happened to STEAM on 3DS and Elite Beat Agents on DS.) The other, they end up after like 3 years on the market making their players choice/selects line which drop the price to $20. So have some patience? Even if you don't want the tacky re-release art, it still hurts the value of the game son the market already so buy it used and you'll get it anyway cheap.

In the bigger picture they get a lot of games they don't touch other than publishing and they go cheap or start cheap either way even on physical media. Nintendo has no reason within months like others who wash rinse repeat pump out stuff fast to compete directly, so they stand out with a unique property and wisely just feel the need to cheapen it until the sequel comes along, or their selects line appears.

Patience grasshopper.

• Like 3

In the bigger picture they get a lot of games they don't touch other than publishing and they go cheap or start cheap either way even on physical media.

https://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-switch/games/bayonetta-2-bayonetta-1/149737

This is, literally, a re-release of a 4 year old third-party game developed by a third party packaged with a download code for a 9 year old game that Nintendo had nothing whatsoever to do with. And Nintendo had the gumption to price it at $60 on release - and it's still $60 now!

So I don't really buy your argument. (I did buy the game, though. But I grumbled about it all the way to the cash register, and haven't bought another Switch game since.)

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

Bayonetta is a one off though. Almost every game I buy on the Switch is generally $29.99 to $34.99. First party titles are usually guaranteed to be $59.99. But this game sticks at $59.99 for some reason. Maybe because you are getting two games....I dunno. I still think it is worth the price because it is a great game (or great two games) but yeah, its odd to not see this price reduced at this point. There are much better games at half the cost.

Edited by eightbit

I thought about getting super luckys tail, but being on xbone means it's just a download rather than a meaningful disc so I didnt.

It's to bad as it looks right up my alley.

Is it a Microsoft game of third party? I'd still love to get it at some point, but at this point I'm not even sure I'll bother keeping the xbox.

Again I think it's because Nintendo has no real competition for the types of first party games it makes, none that have stuck around, been consistent, or remained exclusive over the years.

Nope, it's just part of Nintendo's policy. They've said that they don't price-drop games because they don't think it's fair to customers who bought the games at release.

Games like Metroid: Other M and Star Fox Zero went to the bargain bins awfully fast, though ;)

• Like 1

Nintendo's Culture, going back to the NES, was to design games that stood the test of time, so that people would buy them for the entire life of the system... and at full price, or at most very marginal discounts.

It hurts then pocketbook, but on the other hand, they make games that are above average and complete. It's refreshing from our current culture of annual disposable sequels.

• Like 3