IGNORED

VCS/2600 Game Rarity by Number of Known Copies

Blazing Lazers

Are we going to add holy grail PAL originals too?

If so:

http://www.atarimania.com/pgelstsoft.awp?system=2&type=G&format=1&original=1&cartridgerarity=10&step=200

Only one (two at most) found of each.

8)

I'm only a US/NTSC collector and therefore not knowledgeable enough on the overseas rarities, but absolutely we should add these. Please do contribute any data that is known! :)

Having the only known Cat Trax, in my opinion, the one found in Australia is a pirated cart. It does make sense considering it was found in Australia where many pirated carts have been located.

That could well be. If it is a pirate though, how was somebody even able to pirate it back in the day? How'd they get the ROM, or another copy from which to base the pirate version? Maybe there were more copies, perhaps even a very limited release somewhere?

Having the only known Cat Trax, in my opinion, the one found in Australia is a pirated cart. It does make sense considering it was found in Australia where many pirated carts have been located.

Thank you for that information, Wonder007!

Was it dumped? I wonder if it have any difference from the previous dump, the one from the cart-holder or something like it.

That could well be. If it is a pirate though, how was somebody even able to pirate it back in the day? How'd they get the ROM, or another copy from which to base the pirate version? Maybe there were more copies, perhaps even a very limited release somewhere?

Blazing, the game was first found on a cart switcher / holder.

Check it here: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-cat-trax_17181.html

• Like 2

Bit Corporation released it on a 4-in-1 multi-cart, too:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-4-in-1-keystone-kapers-air-raiders-super-challenge-baseball-cat-trax_24901.html

• Like 1

So it had to have existed elsewhere prior to that? UA, Ltd. would have likely had it first, but how would the ROM have gotten from them to somewhere else? Every other game on that 4-in-1 seems to have had a retail release, so might that be evidence that Cat Trax did somewhere in the world?

Thank you for that information, Wonder007!

Was it dumped? I wonder if it have any difference from the previous dump, the one from the cart-holder or something like it.

The one that I have is the one that Atari Age used to release the repro Cat Trax game a number of years ago.

• Like 3

There are 2 copies of cat trax cib.

I have absolutely no doubts they were made by UAL.

The boxes are very high quality. Made to the exact specs of the silver Acadia boxes but using gold metallic instead of silver. Full color manual with beautiful cartoon artwork. As well as a dark brown custom cart shell, which is the same shell used on the six pack made by leisure dynamics. Who also made the leisurevision (the Canadian ntsc release of the arcadia)

Both games are also ntsc. And the 1st copy which was new in box came out of the new York area and not Australia.

However seeing the 2nd copy in Australia is not surprising as the UAL guys had strong connections for distribution in Australia.

Which leads me more to believe these were copies from a initial run or pre production run that likely was disposed of when UAL folded their videogame division. And most likely these are sample copies that execs held on to for themselves...which have now been sold off as these guys pass away.

Wonder007 has the only known proto copy. But I truly believe these 2 copies are full copies ready for retail and made by UAL. Both were found after the original proto was found too.

I would bet some of the custom shells made for the UAL atari games were recycled by leisure dynamics for the six pack multi taps that contain the cat trax rom.

• Like 1

No it wasn't from those guys. It was from a guy that had a few rare games. Including the only known go go home by dimax.

Both copies are also identical and way to well done to be made by any repro person and imo way to expensive and too much work for even a pirate company to make.

Custom gold metallic gatefold box, full color manual, 1 of a kind cart shell in dark brown, glossy die cut label etc.

• Like 1

Not sure about that in my opinion. I have seen some excellent repro work before. And, this guy in Australia happened to have at least two ultra rare items, not sure. I've also been in similar situations where ultra rare items are offered to me and as I dug for details it ended uo being fake stuff. Just my two cents.

To go thru all that expense to make 1 cib game makes absolutely no sense.

Also the other copy was found first like I said in the new York area in a lot with other rare arcadia items and a nib arcadia system.

This had no relation at all to the beat up copy from Australia.

Imo that alone is enough to know they were not made by 1 Australian bootlegger.

Are you saying the other rare games the Australian guy had would be fake too? Like the only known go go home by dimax?

With the full artwork that is not available anywhere else?

To me that all seems incredibly unlikely to all be a giant conspiracy for 2 copies of a game.

• Like 1

If two copies of the same game turned up on different Continents in different conditions and each one happened to be among other items that themselves are unlikely to be faked, then I have to think that both are real, and that at one point other copies had to have existed.

What's the story behind the New York Arcadia lot? I'd love to hear this!:)

• Like 1

Amazingly the listing for the 2nd cat trax from 4 years ago can still be accessed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/281357835408?ViewItem=&item=281357835408

No pics but Rom hunter has those all at atarimania anyway.

Did a bit more digging back thru my info.

The seller had a bunch of rare homevision and suntek stuff.

Including the only boxed homevision go home monster as well as the 1st found and only known go go home by dimax which has since been marked as the parent release for go home monster as it used to be assumed the original.

Also we had contacted the seller and he had purchased all the rare games from an estate sale in Australia.

So very likely the home of an executive who had either promotional or preproduction copies of some rare games and then he passed and they were sold at his estate.

The seller hasn't had other atari stuff for sale so I find it next to impossible he faked all these games for a 1 time sale. He would have lost a lot of money if so for what they sold for if he had multiple color boxes and manuals printed up. Including a die cut gatefold box with metallic gold ink and had molds made for a all new cartridge shell cast in a uncommon color.

No way I buy these are fakes.

But I certainly could agree they likely were never released. So they would then not be counted as part of a full usa set. This could go for the rare homevision and dimax stuff as well.

It's likely we may never know for sure. A lot of these guys have probably died. And the company was an odd division for a short time of a low end appliance company in Hong Kong.

Records as well as people are probably long gone. And with what a big flop they were they probably tried to forget about and hide it all ever happened from family, colleagues and themselves.

• Like 2

If two copies of the same game turned up on different Continents in different conditions and each one happened to be among other items that themselves are unlikely to be faked, then I have to think that both are real, and that at one point other copies had to have existed.

What's the story behind the New York Arcadia lot? I'd love to hear this!:)

So the first 1 was found nib summer of 2011. On eBay in a large lot of nos arcadia items from a computer supply company. And I mis-spoke saying new York area.

It was from Worcester Massachusetts.

I can't really add more info as it is private info shared in confidence.

I will say I have seen and played it in person and I have absolutely no reason to believe it is anything but a genuine item made by UAL.

And I agree Jack the chance of these 2 being faked on different continents years apart would be much more absurd then them being real.

• Like 1

Also of note the seller of the 2nd copy states all the rare 2600 games were purchased from the estate of a deceased video game importer from back in the day.

That's exactly what I would have assumed for a copy made in Hong Kong and found in Australia. Some if the rarest arcadia stuff has come out of australia.

Edited by stupus
  • Like 1

Also of note the seller of the 2nd copy states all the rare 2600 games were purchased from the estate of a deceased video game importer from back in the day.

That's exactly what I would have assumed for a copy made in Hong Kong and found in Australia. Some if the rarest arcadia stuff has come out of australia.

I guess we will never know.

I guess we will never know.

Yep, not impossible, but seems unlikely we will ever find more concrete information.

Unless any living guys from UAL or any game importers make contact with anybody involved in videogame history.

Probably a lot of info will be lost forever about a lot of these small short lived companies.

Since many are from Hong Kong it's nearly impossible to find any of them and they basically never credited anybody....kinda sad.

Very interesting indeed.

Thanks for elaborating & explaining it all in much more detail. It makes all the difference in better understanding the provenance of the items involved; specifically the status of the stand alone Cat Trax game.

And now that weve reported it, processed it, and analyzed it, the determination is that it is absolutely critical that we keep the record straight. So, for now, the official status of the stand alone Cat Trax cartridge, will remain as production sample.

If & when additional samples surface, then we can of course revisit & resume discussions. Keep in mind however, that even if an entire pallet turns up in some abandoned warehouse in New Zealand, it merely proves that retail-ready product was manufactured with the intention to sell, not that the product actually made it onto store shelves, whereby giving members of the consumer public an actual opportunity to have purchase said product.

Now, that said, Im finally ready to publicly tackle the now infamous & extremely controversial Cat Trax Videoplexer status!

Better go pour yourself a tall beverage, this ones gonna be very long!

Short version:

The videoplexer version of Cat Trax, although being a completely different animal then the stand alone Cat Trax cartridge, meets the same fate. The end result is identical, it does not gain official status.

Long version:

Here is the detailed explanation on this one. Let the chips fall where they may.

The videoplexer unit is a system accessory. It is NOT a stand alone cartridge. Much the same as the Compumate computer and the Starpath supercharger. These system modifying accessories all have one KEY thing in common; they plug into the cartridge port, but they do NOT function by themselves. They are NOT stand alone carts. They require an additional unit, which must plug into itself (not into a controller port) in order to display an image & function properly.

Once plugged in, they CHANGE the system. As a result, the console is now NO LONGER an unmodified stock system. IF at this stage, no matter how large, big, and bulky the accessory is, it were able to function on its own, then YES, it WOULD count as a cartridge. (Pitfall 2 DPC chip, Sara Chip, CBS RamPlus, long Commavid Magicard cartridge, etc. It matters NOT what is inside, NOR what size or shape the unit is. So long as it is 100% self contained.

If you cut the chord on any of these aforementioned devices, which connects it to its required auxiliary components that house and/or support the media which is required to subsequently display a working game, then they do NOT function by themselves, rendering them non-functional and are therefore DISQUALIFIED.

So now, lets define the PROPER use of an auxiliary expansion by siting a few examples of 2600 games that have official status on the list, but depend on accessories to function properly.

- Indy 500 & the steering controllers

- Star Raiders & the video touch pad

- Omega Race & the booster grip

- etc.

These games are stand alone cartridges, that require a special controller to be plugged into a port on the console. But they do not modify the console by creating a new port within themselves; to which the accessory then requires in order for the cartridge itself to function. Rather they use an existing factory stock auxiliary port.

Now lets look at some examples that have a direct bearing & correlation to the 3 primary examples of system modifying accessories

The Compumate:

The Atari cartridge Basic programming, and the CommaVid cartridge Magicard, are official cartridges. Just like the Compumate accessory, they were designed to give the Atari system a computer-like ability. They do so by plugging a cartridge into the cart port, and keyboard controllers into the controller ports.

However, if you plug in the tethered cartridge of the Compumate accessory, and then cut the umbilical chord that attaches it to the keyboard unit, and then power up the 2600, it will NOT display a functioning image.

The Supercharger:

The Coleco cartridges Smurfs Save the Day & The Berenstein Bears are official cartridges. Just like the Supercharger, they use a compact cassette tape player to enhance the games. They do so by plugging into the cartridge port and utilizing the controller ports.

However, if you plug in the Supercharger cartridge into the 2600, without the audio cable connected to its required tape player, and then power up the 2600, it will not function.

Finally, the absolute BEST example that I can give for what (in essence) these units do to an Atari 2600, is the Sega 32X system.

The 32X is a glorified cartridge. Aiken to the NES Aladdin Deck Enhancer. However, unlike the Aladdin which is fully independent & functional, and which also had ONE unique / exclusive game in its library, the 32X & its 31 USA game releases DO NOT COUNT as members of the Sega Genesis official library.

A complete Genesis set is 707. The 32X unit is NOT cartridge number 708, nor does having it attached to your console increase the GENESIS library to 738. It CONVERTS your system from a Genesis to a Neptune, whereby granting it the ability to play 31 additional Neptune cartridges. Virtua Racing counts as one of the 707 because it has the 32X technology built into it, and as such, is a fully functional independent cartridge.

You must first modify your stock Genesis console by plugging a 32X accessory into its cartridge port before it becomes capable of playing Mars games.

Just as you must first modify your stock 2600 by plugging in a Supercharger or Compumate accessory, before it becomes capable of playing starpath cassettes or utilizing a full function QWERTY keyboard.

And lastly, you must first modify your stock 2600 by plugging in a tethered cartridge videoplexer accessory, (whereby expanding its factory intended SINGLE cartridge port into a multi cartridge port), before it becomes capable of LOCATING the built in Cat Trax program on said device, and then subsequently DISPLAYING its contents on the screen, whereby granting the user the ability to actually PLAY it.

And that is no different then needing a tethered telephone cable connected to the GameLine network in order to access & play Save the Whales.

• Like 2

Very interesting indeed.

Thanks for elaborating & explaining it all in much more detail. It makes all the difference in better understanding the provenance of the items involved; specifically the status of the stand alone Cat Trax game.

And now that weve reported it, processed it, and analyzed it, the determination is that it is absolutely critical that we keep the record straight. So, for now, the official status of the stand alone Cat Trax cartridge, will remain as production sample.

If & when additional samples surface, then we can of course revisit & resume discussions. Keep in mind however, that even if an entire pallet turns up in some abandoned warehouse in New Zealand, it merely proves that retail-ready product was manufactured with the intention to sell, not that the product actually made it onto store shelves, whereby giving members of the consumer public an actual opportunity to have purchase said product.

Now, that said, Im finally ready to publicly tackle the now infamous & extremely controversial Cat Trax Videoplexer status!

Better go pour yourself a tall beverage, this ones gonna be very long!

Short version:

The videoplexer version of Cat Trax, although being a completely different animal then the stand alone Cat Trax cartridge, meets the same fate. The end result is identical, it does not gain official status.

Long version:

Here is the detailed explanation on this one. Let the chips fall where they may.

The videoplexer unit is a system accessory. It is NOT a stand alone cartridge. Much the same as the Compumate computer and the Starpath supercharger. These system modifying accessories all have one KEY thing in common; they plug into the cartridge port, but they do NOT function by themselves. They are NOT stand alone carts. They require an additional unit, which must plug into itself (not into a controller port) in order to display an image & function properly.

Once plugged in, they CHANGE the system. As a result, the console is now NO LONGER an unmodified stock system. IF at this stage, no matter how large, big, and bulky the accessory is, it were able to function on its own, then YES, it WOULD count as a cartridge. (Pitfall 2 DPC chip, Sara Chip, CBS RamPlus, long Commavid Magicard cartridge, etc. It matters NOT what is inside, NOR what size or shape the unit is. So long as it is 100% self contained.

If you cut the chord on any of these aforementioned devices, which connects it to its required auxiliary components that house and/or support the media which is required to subsequently display a working game, then they do NOT function by themselves, rendering them non-functional and are therefore DISQUALIFIED.

So now, lets define the PROPER use of an auxiliary expansion by siting a few examples of 2600 games that have official status on the list, but depend on accessories to function properly.

- Indy 500 & the steering controllers

- Star Raiders & the video touch pad

- Omega Race & the booster grip

- etc.

These games are stand alone cartridges, that require a special controller to be plugged into a port on the console. But they do not modify the console by creating a new port within themselves; to which the accessory then requires in order for the cartridge itself to function. Rather they use an existing factory stock auxiliary port.

Now lets look at some examples that have a direct bearing & correlation to the 3 primary examples of system modifying accessories

The Compumate:

The Atari cartridge Basic programming, and the CommaVid cartridge Magicard, are official cartridges. Just like the Compumate accessory, they were designed to give the Atari system a computer-like ability. They do so by plugging a cartridge into the cart port, and keyboard controllers into the controller ports.

However, if you plug in the tethered cartridge of the Compumate accessory, and then cut the umbilical chord that attaches it to the keyboard unit, and then power up the 2600, it will NOT display a functioning image.

The Supercharger:

The Coleco cartridges Smurfs Save the Day & The Berenstein Bears are official cartridges. Just like the Supercharger, they use a compact cassette tape player to enhance the games. They do so by plugging into the cartridge port and utilizing the controller ports.

However, if you plug in the Supercharger cartridge into the 2600, without the audio cable connected to its required tape player, and then power up the 2600, it will not function.

Finally, the absolute BEST example that I can give for what (in essence) these units do to an Atari 2600, is the Sega 32X system.

The 32X is a glorified cartridge. Aiken to the NES Aladdin Deck Enhancer. However, unlike the Aladdin which is fully independent & functional, and which also had ONE unique / exclusive game in its library, the 32X & its 31 USA game releases DO NOT COUNT as members of the Sega Genesis official library.

A complete Genesis set is 707. The 32X unit is NOT cartridge number 708, nor does having it attached to your console increase the GENESIS library to 738. It CONVERTS your system from a Genesis to a Neptune, whereby granting it the ability to play 31 additional Neptune cartridges. Virtua Racing counts as one of the 707 because it has the 32X technology built into it, and as such, is a fully functional independent cartridge.

You must first modify your stock Genesis console by plugging a 32X accessory into its cartridge port before it becomes capable of playing Mars games.

Just as you must first modify your stock 2600 by plugging in a Supercharger or Compumate accessory, before it becomes capable of playing starpath cassettes or utilizing a full function QWERTY keyboard.

And lastly, you must first modify your stock 2600 by plugging in a tethered cartridge videoplexer accessory, (whereby expanding its factory intended SINGLE cartridge port into a multi cartridge port), before it becomes capable of LOCATING the built in Cat Trax program on said device, and then subsequently DISPLAYING its contents on the screen, whereby granting the user the ability to actually PLAY it.

And that is no different then needing a tethered telephone cable connected to the GameLine network in order to access & play Save the Whales.

All very interesting points Billy. Thanks for the great post!

The multi tap with the cat trax is not a videoplexer though. It's called the six-pack. A Canadian release that looks very similar to a video game brain.

Imo it's a tough call if to count it or not. I mean you plug the cartridge in and without any added items it plays cat trax. The cord is also hardwired from the cart to the tap.

So similar to how the colecovision supersketch works. I count it as an official release so I lean towards also counting cat trax. But it's truly a matter of opinion and without argument it's definitely a bit different than your standard release. I am very curious as to if the cat trax Rom resides in the cart portion or the multi tap portion. I could see either being the case....don't know if anyone can confirm this?

Not sure I want to open mine unless I can do so without altering it at all.

Edited by stupus

Weve had pics provided of the inside. The Cat Trax rom is definitely attached to the multi port cartridge area. Cant recall at the moment however, if on the non Cat Trax included version, wether it uses the same circuit board and has an empty space where the rom would be, or if it uses a different board with no place for the rom to be.

Luckily my six pack cart sticker was loose enough I could access the screws. So I have verified the Rom does not reside in the cart. I will try and open the taps base later to get pics of it.

Here are some pics of the carts insides and the game running.

post-26050-0-25520700-1535383798_thumb.jpg

post-26050-0-36130300-1535383814_thumb.jpg

post-26050-0-54452300-1535383831_thumb.jpg

Also here is a pic of the canadian arcadias leisurevision box showing the same company distributed it and the six pack. However UAL manufactured the leisurevision and presumably the six pack as well since it says made in hong kong on the six pack and UA 1983 on the bottom of the cat trax screen.

post-26050-0-76177200-1535383996_thumb.jpg

• Like 3