IGNORED

Tempest Elite now Available

peteym5

Tempest Elite is available for Sale at $49.95 with update VBXE mode and now being shipped. New features beyond Tempest Xtreme include pause button, lane highlighting, smoother animation, and support for different controllers, The update removes the color map for the background and replaces the spikes with dotted lines so they can be distinguished from the lanes. The Color Map has been causing conflicts with some configurations of VBXE version and custom hardware upgrades inside the computer. VBXE mode will no longer load by default at power up, but now require holding down the option key. Video61 will only support software stock unmodified Atari 8-bit computers, any modification is at risk of the owner of the modified computer. Anyone who purchased Tempest Elite who had a problem running the game with VBXE will need to contact Video 61 directly before sending the cartridge back to him to be re-flashed.

Tempest Elite is set up to by default to run on a stock Atari XL/XE computer with 64K RAM with standard 6502. Assembled with standard 6502 code without any undocumented opcodes, so there should be no conflicts with 65816 processors.

Tempest Elite can be played with several different controllers, Joystick, Paddles, Indy 500 Driving, and Trackball. Joystick is the default controller. There is no auto detection for the controller, so you will need to change the controller while the title screen is up and change the controller with the SELECT and OPTION keys. You can only change to controllers other than the joystick by pressing the option key as the input signal will change from the controller. Using the joystick only lets you select pressing up or down for the superzapper. If Trackball, Indy 500 Driving, or Trackball is used, the spacebar becomes the superzapper key and escape becomes the only way to pause the game. If using the joystick, either spacebar or escape pauses the game.

Since the game was released last year, we sold over 30 cartridges. Many of the people complemented about the support of different game controllers.

http://members.tcq.net/video61/tempestelite.html

This is an independent review of Tempest Elite.

Edited by jaybird3rd
  • Like 3

I've been looking forward to getting this game for a while, and finally ordered/received it a few weeks ago, and I previously acquired some 2600 driving controllers specifically in anticipation of playing this. Happy to support your work.

As a non-VBXE user, Is there any changes that would warrant me looking into getting the updated version, other than I guess the spikes being replaced with dotted lines?

Thanks!

The VBXE updated version has been up for sale since March. But either version runs the same on non-VBXE machines.

Oh since I just got it, maybe I already have the update then, LOL! I'll have to look for those changes next time I try it.

I fixed the link in the original post.

Thankyou very much.

It is a shame I could not get everything to work correctly with VBXE because I was hoping to do more VBXE games in the future. I was working on ideals for a sequel to Tempest Xtreme since 2011, but it seem to have a curse of its own to where it never seem to see the light of day. I was attempting to get people to beta test this game on real hardware with VBXE, and was hope KJMANN would trust the same beta testers we had for Tempest Xtreme, but for some reason he kept procrastinating. He also demonstrated the game at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo years before Video 61 and I finally released it

I also see the original Tempest Xtreme video expired on YouTube, so here is a new you I just got done putting together.

Is that video showing the Atari graphics chipset, or VBXE?

First Video is VBXE with the fix. 2nd review is standard Atari graphics. 3rd Video is the new Tempest Xtreem video I made. I had to replace the one KJMANN made about 10 years ago since he is no longer active with AtariAge or YouTube. He could not deal with the stress of all the harassment and bashing on the forums.

I am looking to replace older videos of my games because what I am using now does not distort because of compression. I am not sure how Altirra records videos, but some weird distortions happen with certain programs like AVIDEMUX. I would like to use VirtualDub, but that is an older program. don't see anything in there for Mpeg4, DIVX, XVID.

Edited by peteym5

First Video is VBXE with the fix. 2nd review is standard Atari graphics. 3rd Video is the new Tempest Xtreem video I made. I had to replace the one KJMANN made about 10 years ago since he is no longer active with AtariAge or YouTube. He could not deal with the stress of all the harassment and bashing on the forums.

I am looking to replace older videos of my games because what I am using now does not distort because of compression. I am not sure how Altirra records videos, but some weird distortions happen with certain programs like AVIDEMUX. I would like to use VirtualDub, but that is an older program. don't see anything in there for Mpeg4, DIVX, XVID.

no one harassed, bashed or otherwise miss treated KJMANN on AtariAge. What happened was in response to things of his own doing as most recollect. It was a plethora of things he did, said, implied, and otherwise. In forums and in person or so such reports went. Very unfortunate that, a great deal of people helped him, shared knowledge, and then the holier than thou, smarter than all complex also started (as seems to become a common thing). But add that to all the rest as well as more than one allegation that everyone would pirate or other such nonsense on and on.... became too much for numbers of members. A real shame, he started out well... but ended badly.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

I really like the music soundtrack, and the gameplay elements borrowed from Tempest 2000 - they make the transition to 8-bit nicely. But I'm disappointed this version of Tempest doesn't have the web zoom between levels - instead it runs the blaster down the web. It doesn't matter much in terms of gameplay, but it does detract a lot from the overall Tempest experience - even with the added gameplay elements.

Edited by FifthPlayer

no one harassed, bashed or otherwise miss treated KJMANN on AtariAge. What happened was in response to things of his own doing as most recollect. It was a plethora of things he did, said, implied, and otherwise. In forums and in person or so such reports went. Very unfortunate that, a great deal of people helped him, shared knowledge, and then the holier than thou, smarter than all complex also started (as seems to become a common thing). But add that to all the rest as well as more than one allegation that everyone would pirate or other such nonsense on and on.... became too much for numbers of members. A real shame, he started out well... but ended badly.

That is how he started with Lance and myself also. Real nice and kind. We finished Tempest Xtreme and after I suggested maybe we can re-use pieces of source code for other video games. He suggested few games and late pitched ideas of multi game cartridge he can put games on Atari Max Flash. Then Video 61 stated games sell better on individual units. That is how Venture got started up, but I noticed he started getting nasty with people and I was going months without hearing from him. He also called me up in the middle of the night when I had to get up the next day to work a double shift. The good thing now is nobody has to deal with him unless he comes back.

Edited by peteym5

I am not sure how Altirra records videos, but some weird distortions happen with certain programs like AVIDEMUX. I would like to use VirtualDub, but that is an older program. don't see anything in there for Mpeg4, DIVX, XVID.

Isn't a solution to PM phaeron and explain the steps you're taking and expected outcome? He is a helpful chap

That is how he started with Lance and myself also. Real nice and kind. We finished Tempest Xtreme and after I suggested maybe we can re-use pieces of source code for other video games. He suggested few games and late pitched ideas of multi game cartridge he can put games on Atari Max Flash. Then Video 61 stated games sell better on individual units. That is how Venture got started up, but I noticed he started getting nasty with people and I was going months without hearing from him. He also called me up in the middle of the night when I had to get up the next day to work a double shift. The good thing now is nobody has to deal with him unless he comes back.

I am sorry to hear of the trouble you go through for supporting our little 8-bit machines. Still, I urge you to perhaps reach out to Albert, and see what kind of deal you can get having him host/sell your carts. The production quality is so much better with the AA items.

• Like 3

Isn't a solution to PM phaeron and explain the steps you're taking and expected outcome? He is a helpful chap

First thing I did was Google searched for alternate video conversion tools that work in Windows. I was using a computer with Linux for video re-sampling a few years ago. The program that was giving me an issue was AVIDEMUX and for some reason it loads in the video with shifts the colors on videos recorded from Altirra.

I am sorry to hear of the trouble you go through for supporting our little 8-bit machines. Still, I urge you to perhaps reach out to Albert, and see what kind of deal you can get having him host/sell your carts. The production quality is so much better with the AA items.

I already spoken with him several times over the years. Discovered there is not going to be a major price difference with the cartridges. KJMANN is no longer designing and printing labels for us. We are now going with something similar to the Atari Silver Label Style (2nd generation) I believe Video61 made some big improvements with his product in the past few years. I am working on increasing exposure about the Atari 8-bit (and possible other platforms) homebrew retrogames. Working on several ideals like an online database with screen shots, videos, descriptions, and links to the seller. Thinking of a classifieds ad type set up with some rules like that game has to be available for sale.

Other ideals for my exposure for my stuff include my own page, people will find it with search engines. Posting on other retro and home brew game sites. It is a work-in-progress.

post-14332-0-01878000-1534985268.jpg

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 2

I do like that label, looks spot on..

I am glad you and many others like the Silver Style label which we have been using for games made since 2015. I prefer to have a one uniform style for games. I recalled that I surveyed several different designs and that got picked by the most people. Everyone working on the games liked it also.

Edited by peteym5

It bright, catchy, nice font, fits with the product, what's not to like :)

Yup, great choice, is it on normal paper from a printer or proff printed..You would want less chance of it wearing off with something like that...If you use a standard print the ink tends to catch on paper or anything place on it by accident and it loses colour really fast..Photo paper may help but that's got its own nightmares too (moisture)..

Someone can just get some of that clear wide shipping tape, cover the label and cut it to fit. Will make it appear glossy and protect it for years. I had Video61 try it for one of my games. Not sure if anyone here is going this for cartridge games. There is a silicone spray someone posted on another thread.

One issue with labels with coating that prevents ink soaking into the paper is the ink can smear with certain types of laser printers.

However, I am a software guy. My main concern is to make sure the software on the media does everything it suppose to do.

• 3 months later...