IGNORED

Gaxian wip

artrag

Wip

Missing the lateral squeezing of the spaceship's wings as it moves.

:lol: just kidding! It looks great! :thumbsup:

Are you aiming to keep the game-play of the original Galaxians, or is it a re-interpretation like Deep Zone Gorf?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking good! You probably can use the hardware bg collision detection to pick up collision between the player's shot vs the enemies wave. Only have it detect between the enemy background wave to avoid blowing up the little blue stars in the background. You don't want to have a bunch of angry aliens ships come after your ship for blowing up the entire galaxy.

I need to multiplex the current 3 bullets in order to have 5 bullets (for 5 enemies) + one bullet for the player.

There are a few non trivial details in the original game about enemies that I want to add.

I need to implement the special behavior of the flagships:

- if they have one or two red enemy under them, they will charge in swarm of 3

- if they do not have red enemies to control they flee to return in the next wave

Moreover

- red enemies do not charge if under a flagship, otherwise they attack as other enemies

- if less than 5 enemies are alive none of them will return to the fleet, but will stay in charge mode

I do not know if hw collision is practical when you use sprite multiplexing. I have to do some tests to see how it goes.

Edited by artrag

- red enemies do not charge if under a flagship, otherwise they attack as other enemies

I do not know if hw collision is practical when you use sprite multiplexing. I have to do some tests to see how it goes.

Moreover

I think for enemy shots should be fine since it's only looking for the player's ship.

I would recommend to use 3 multiplexed shot with a single sprite from the enemies and 1 sprite non multiplex sprite for the player shot for the enemy sprite and bg collision. Since the current ROM now have slow down when there's 5 enemies on screen so that will mess up the HW collision detection if your multiplexing 2 enemy shot and player shot with 1 sprite. I had issue with multiplexing sprites but able to solve them by manually clearing the col registers.

We will see. I prefer to multiplex 3 sprites on 6 objects

I need dynamically to allocate these objects for bullets and explosions.

I need at least a 2 frame animation for explosions and I can fit two extra frames in gram safely.

The sole problem is that if you have 6 bullets on the screen you cannot see enemies explode...

I should reserve one position for one explosion, one position for the bullet of the player and use the remaining 4 dynamically.

Edited by artrag

• 1 year later...