IGNORED

Minimum System Requirements for Raptor Basic +?

mmbe

It also depends on what you are planning to run. If you are compiling code with RMAC/RLN to upload to jag via Skunk or BJL, you could probably rock a 486 TBH, the development tools are pretty small in terms of requirements. If you want to run Virtual Jaguar and develop that route then you will need something more substantial as Gemintronic says.

A more modern machine / OS will give you more flexibility of tools and options, and less headaches.

(Remember back in the day Jag stuff was developed on Atari TT and Falcon 030's :) )

Gemintronic & LinkoVitch,

Thank you for your replies. It looks like I can use my old Windows XP laptop to do the actual programming with Raptor Basics + and then would need my current laptop with Windows 8 to run Virtual Jaguar to test what ever I may create.

Now I just need to take that first step and try the actual program.

• Like 3

Hi,

I would assume that pretty much everything in rb+ apart from Virtual Jaguar should run on Windows XP but I never tried it personally. Worst case would be to simply replace virtualjaguar.exe in the bin folder with another version running on WinXP.

If I have time today I'll try this out on an old laptop running WinXP in the evening and have a more solid answer for you.

Edited by ggn
  • Like 4

TBH the biggest factor for VJ is going to be actual oomph of the hardware more than the OS. As long as there is a good CPU in there then it should run fine I'd imagine. Or at least good enough to get you going with the basics at least.

Have you tried running VJ on your XP machine?

• Like 2

I just tested the Win32 version of Virtual Jaguar (latest build) under a windows XP virtual machine and it ran without complaint. So worth giving it a try if you have a machine running XP already. Might be worth using your main machine for the whole thing though to give you as much oomph as possible

• Like 4

Hopefully this weekend I can load the programs and see where I'm at. By the time I get home from work in the evening the last thing I won't to do is look at a computer.

LinkoVitch - thanks for testing on a Windows XP machine. Your results give me hope.

ggn - thanks for offering to do a test.

• Like 3

No worries. Although my VM is still technically running on an i7 based system, so YMMV on a lower spec system. I think VJ runs fine on low power hardware, but may start to chug if you run more complex jaguar code. So should be perfect for at least getting going :)

Do you have a physical Jag to develop with?

No worries. Although my VM is still technically running on an i7 based system, so YMMV on a lower spec system. I think VJ runs fine on low power hardware, but may start to chug if you run more complex jaguar code. So should be perfect for at least getting going :)

Do you have a physical Jag to develop with?

I have a Jaguar and CD attachment - no Skunk or BJL.

IIRC there is a CD ISO for BJL, and there are a bunch of released carts out there that have a BJL loader on them, so you can boot jag with one of those plugged in an hold the magic button and you'll get a BJL loader. I know there is one on protector SE, and some of the reboot (all of?) have them on too. Sorry I cannot be more specific on which ones have them.

Just be aware, VJ is not 1:1 for a Jaguar. It's handy as part of a development and testing setup in known good conditions, but don't be too surprised if the first time your game is sent to a Jaguar all you see is a black screen or just odd stuff in general.

• Like 3

Just be aware, VJ is not 1:1 for a Jaguar. It's handy as part of a development and testing setup in known good conditions, but don't be too surprised if the first time your game is sent to a Jaguar all you see is a black screen or just odd stuff in general.

^^THIS^^ 100% THIS.

VJ is likely to not be the same speed as a real jag (faster or slower) and whilst it's bloody good, it's not 100% perfect. Not tried for a while but I suspect code alignment issues will only become apparent when you run your code on a jag for the 1st time and bits break.

One of my top tips for super simple debugging is the BG address (equate located in the jaguar.inc file), which is the address of the background screen colour. Setting this to some random value to make the screen change to a different colour can be an absolute godsend when you are trying to debug a blank screen bug. Find a bunch of colour values that are obvious or just toggle it between black and a colour and you can tell where you are up to and that your code is running. All CPUs can waggle the values of it, so it's great for whatever code you are writing as a really basic should work in all situations feedback mechanism.

• Like 4

This morning after several attempts I was able to get Raptor Basic+ and Virtual Jaguar to play nice with one another. Too long of a story to waste time documenting. I'm glad everything works on my old Windows XP laptop. Look forward to testing the waters and seeing what I can learn.

Time to explore the test projects and discover how they work.

• Like 2