Jump to content
tschak909

PLATOTerm for Atari ST

Recommended Posts

The first output from PLATOTerm for the Atari ST. This is in ST High mode aka Mono, (640x400). It uses the 8x12 font previously plotted, and is based on the original 8x16 PLATO font. Now onto the 8x6 font for 640x200 #irataonline #plato #atarist

 

post-9462-0-35487100-1534906403_thumb.png

 

post-9462-0-55928500-1534906408_thumb.png

 

The application is being cross-developed with the latest m68k-atari-mint toolchain, with GEMLIB WINDOM. The big problem that I still need to solve, is the redraw...

 

-Thom

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spent the last day and a half plotting the 8x6 font required for 640x200 medium resolution, and with the appropriate scaling tables in place, the result:

 

post-9462-0-43377500-1534968751.png

 

(yes, the font will be tweaked)

 

And this is alongside the low resolution version, which uses the already refined 5x6 font:

 

post-9462-0-36832900-1534968792.png

 

Now onto changing text output to use vrt_cpyfm() and implementing a proper draw and refresh tree.

 

-Thom

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now, am writing a set of linked list functions to implement a drawing queue, which I need to properly implement my window redraw functions.

 

-Thom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And with the implementation of the I/O functions, the terminal starts to work! It's connecting to the service, and is interacting with it quite nicely. Text routine still needs to be replaced with calls to vrt_cpyfm() (harder than it should be), and lots of work still to be done, but it's working!

 

post-9462-0-02577000-1535255192.png

 

And I recorded a video showing it in action!

 

 

More to come!

 

-Thom

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a policy, anyone who contacts me to ask for a build, at any time, gets the freshest build off the compiler...whether it works or not. ;) (I know I kid, but really, things are very much in flux, and this build is pre-alpha, so expect falling rocks. I do it because if you're willing to tap me on the shoulder and test...) :)

 

-Thom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just added paint and color support to the ST terminal.

 

ST Mono:

post-9462-0-37338500-1535995592.png

 

ST Medium Res:

post-9462-0-25635500-1535995597.png

 

ST Lo-res:

post-9462-0-09645100-1535995604.png

 

TT Medium Res:

post-9462-0-56528000-1535995619.png

 

The program resets the palette on each screen clear, and allocates palette colors on a first come, first serve basis. This becomes evident when running in windowed mode:

(attached at bottom of thread, as AA doesn't want to display it.)

https://i.imgur.com/is7emyH.gif

 

Still a lot to do, but it shows what's in store for the 16-bit terminals, such as the ST and the Amiga, and PC.

 

The ZX Spectrum terminal has some color support (but no paint),

and the TI-99/4A terminal will have color support (but again, probably no paint)

 

So, marching forward, what do you guys think?

 

-Thom

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you.

 

I am currently mired in getting the palette management to work properly. It's a bit sticky, because PLATO tends to send foreground color first, then background, which, when creating a new screen and you're using a simple round-robin palette assignment, this gets backwards.

 

Once this works, I will continue to get the rest of the app hooked up and into a functional state (UI bits mostly, select baud rate, exit program, etc.)

 

and then finally tackle the dreaded redraw code (which is actually pretty complicated..if I could reliably just store a bitmap of the whole window, I would just do that. But that takes up too much memory for even a 1MB ST.

 

-Thom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No JamesWD.. he is not using real hardware so the EMU does not use STing. If you can get STing to work, this should work no issues as it really is just TELNET. Nothing exotic in the networking stack.

 

James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got Sting working fine on Mega 4 and falcon (via Netusbee), also changed plato config file to remove the AT commands and left just DNS name and port for connection.

 

Doesn't work on either machine (unless there are other config required?) .

 

I would presume most people using their atari to connect to the internet use Sting via an Ethernat driver nowadays so would be nice to update Platoterm to cater for these users also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...