IGNORED

Atari 1050 - stepping motor

lopezpb

I try to repair Atari 1050 disk drive. I checked electronics and it is fully working but I found that the stepping motor is faulty icon_sad.gif

Maybe you know where could buy stepping motor for Atari 1050? or maybe there are any replacements? or from what other disk drive can it be replaced?

In my disk drive I have installed:

Type: KP7AP2-003
Tandon 210323
1.8 deg/step, DC 12V

post-65624-0-88421600-1534915956_thumb.jpg

Edited by lopezpb

The Tandon mechanism in the 1050 is known as TM-50-1 (Single Sided) . It's Used in many other computers/ drives, and IBM PC's. The Atari version is stripped of most of the controller hardware that would be attached on a version for a PC, or external controller.

ie, here's a hardware service manual that shows the extra circuitry not present on the 1050 version (Since its below the drive instead) https://archive.org/details/Tandon_TM-50_Service_Manual_1983_Tandon

Sometimes when scouring the Internet for spare parts, including TM-50 in keywords can help. For example, this site has belts for IBM PCjr disk drive that is for the same TM-50 mech of the Atari 1050: https://console5.com/store/atari-1050-ibm-pcjr-qumetrak-142-floppy-drive-spindle-belt.html

• Like 2

The Tandon mechanism in the 1050 is known as TM-50-1 (Single Sided) . It's Used in many other computers/ drives, and IBM PC's. The Atari version is stripped of most of the controller hardware that would be attached on a version for a PC, or external controller.

ie, here's a hardware service manual that shows the extra circuitry not present on the 1050 version (Since its below the drive instead) https://archive.org/details/Tandon_TM-50_Service_Manual_1983_Tandon

Sometimes when scouring the Internet for spare parts, including TM-50 in keywords can help. For example, this site has belts for IBM PCjr disk drive that is for the same TM-50 mech of the Atari 1050: https://console5.com/store/atari-1050-ibm-pcjr-qumetrak-142-floppy-drive-spindle-belt.html

Hmm.. "Note that the original drive belts are fabric reinforced but that style is no longer available. These replacements are pure rubber but functionally identical."

I would think the fabric lasted longer and didn't stretch as much.. but I'm not a materials science guy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi All,

Sorry to hijack this old thread, but I'm looking for a stepper motor for my Atari 1050 - the label says Northland part number 1005-104 - picture attached.  It has a Tandon REV L EPROM in it.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a replacement, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks,

Mark.

1050Stepper.jpg

Where are you located?

Unless you have known good spares, it is difficult to test something like this. You might as well get a complete drive which is easier to verify.

If I pull one off of a working 1050 I end up with a non-functional floppy. Got too many of those...

Bob

1 minute ago, bob1200xl said:

Where are you located?

Unless you have known good spares, it is difficult to test something like this. You might as well get a complete drive which is easier to verify.

If I pull one off of a working 1050 I end up with a non-functional floppy. Got too many of those...

Bob

Hi @bob1200xl 

I'm in Scotland, UK.  It seems that the only place I could find one would be in a working drive.. I was hoping someone would know of a replacement part that I could drop in or maybe a part from a dead drive that was beyond repair board wise..

I have been posting in another thread with Nezgar about fault finding on the drive.  I have working spares for the FDC, 6507, 6532 and the EPROM which have all been replaced without much success.  The stepper motor won't move and I'm getting the 2sec on/off thing happening.  I've ordered a track 0 sensor that someone else recommended as a drop in replacement to see if it's that causing the issue.

Thanks,

Mark.

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2021 at 8:31 PM, kbj said:

Hi @bob1200xl 

I'm in Scotland, UK.  It seems that the only place I could find one would be in a working drive.. I was hoping someone would know of a replacement part that I could drop in or maybe a part from a dead drive that was beyond repair board wise..

I have been posting in another thread with Nezgar about fault finding on the drive.  I have working spares for the FDC, 6507, 6532 and the EPROM which have all been replaced without much success.  The stepper motor won't move and I'm getting the 2sec on/off thing happening.  I've ordered a track 0 sensor that someone else recommended as a drop in replacement to see if it's that causing the issue.

Thanks,

Mark.

If you still are searching, please contact floppydoc@abbuc.de, he might be able to help you.

12 hours ago, skr said:

If you still are searching, please contact floppydoc@abbuc.de, he might be able to help you.

Hi @skr

Thanks for the info!  I'll bear that in mind should I get another drive to repair.  I did get the drive working in the end - and it turned out that it wasn't the stepper motor in the end - it was the FDC chip and a broken tacho return wire to the spindle motor.  Replaced/repaired that and after a bit of calibration the drive was good once more.

KbJ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nezgar said:

Hey all, @kbj's issue was resolved and it was a bad EPROM, not the stepper motor:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/317332-atari-1050-udn5713m-chips-question/?do=findComment&comment=4774778

Hey @Nezgar

It was a broken FDC chip, bad tacho wire from the motor and I replaced the EPROM too as part of the repair as I wasn't sure of it.

Ta,

Mark.

• Like 2