IGNORED

Return to the Cloudy Mountain

artrag

I would like to do an action adventure like the original.

Other features I would like to have:

Procedural dungeons

Field of view or sort of it

Probably jpl ram will be required

Hint system for enemies and traps

Enemies active in the shadows

Line of sight to activate reactions (sort of Metal Gear's guards)

Call for reinforcement among the reactions

Swords, spells, potions

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, artrag said:

Hello poconojo, there is no progress to show, sorry. Just a couple of early tests

My idea of a remake is still there anyway...

Sounds like a good idea. This game should have been made back in the 80s. AD&D is one of the best games ever made IMO. Treasure of Tarmin was good, but doesn't compare to the original. Tower of Doom was really good also. I remember purchasing that game through the mail order from INT Corp in the late 80s. 

On 8/22/2018 at 8:55 AM, artrag said:

I would like to do an action adventure like the original.

Other features I would like to have:

Procedural dungeons

How were dungeons on the original Cloudy Mountain designed? Fixed layouts for each mountain color? I never paid much attention, even though I love the game.

Hope you go ahead with this project in 2020! Let me know if I can help in any way ?

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 12/31/2019 at 2:33 PM, cmadruga said:

How were dungeons on the original Cloudy Mountain designed? Fixed layouts for each mountain color? I never paid much attention, even though I love the game.

Hope you go ahead with this project in 2020! Let me know if I can help in any way ?

They're all the same, except some are 4x4 and some are 8x4.  They all loop around on both axes.

All rooms have exits in three of the four cardinal directions.  From "top to bottom", there's: can't go up, can't go right, can't go left, can't go down.  You start in a "can't go left" room, and the room to the right of "can't go down" is "can't go up" in the next column.

Therefore my preferred method of exploration is to go down first, and then work my way up three rooms.  Then it would be a repeating cycle of "left one, up three" or from the bottom, "right one, down three", depending on whether I want to avoid the unnecessary fight in that dungeon.  This way, nagivation is easier.  I keep a mental note of which column I'm in and where the exit is, in case I want to escape quickly.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, cmadruga said:

Really interesting... so is this how a 4x4 would look like? Green means possible spawn points.

image.png.eedf53bc4b52ddf5be4f08634a385c6b.png

Correct, although I assume there's only one spawn point.  Since the maps are just infinite tessellations, it wouldn't matter which one was considered the spawn point.

I should see if there's any variance to the shape of the rooms.  If not, we could easily generate a dungeon map and post it to places like gamefaqs.  Maybe there will turn out to be some significance to the skull after all.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, poconojo said:

How long would it take to make a sequel to Cloudy Mountain? How long to make an Intellivision game in general? I am not a tech guy. All I know is how to play the games.

In 1980 programmers were given three months to do an intellivision game.  Tools were crude and cartridge capacity small by today's standards.  Homebrewers are typically working part-time and sometimes have to shelve projects for periods.

44 minutes ago, mr_me said:

In 1980 programmers were given three months to do an intellivision game.  Tools were crude and cartridge capacity small by today's standards.  Homebrewers are typically working part-time and sometimes have to shelve projects for periods.

Got it. Maybe what I should have asked is how long would it take an experienced programmer working full time on a game like Return to Cloudy Mountain by today's standards?

Edited by poconojo