IGNORED

Consoles that make owning other consoles redunant

What are consoles that (in your opinion) make owning other similar consoles of the era (or current) redundant? Here is my take on a few:

-Having and XEGS makes the 5200 redundant. Both A8 computers that have been consolized, XEGS has more power and access to a larger library.

-Having a Genesis makes owning a Master System Redundant, you can play the whole library on a Genesis with a power base converter or on an everdrive

-Having A Genesis or SNES makes owning a TG-16 redundant. Most of the best 16 bit titles went to those two systems.

-Having a Saturn/PS1 makes owning a 3DO redundant. Pretty much all the good 3DO games are on Saturn or PS1

-Having a PS2/Gamecube/Xbox makes owning a Dreamcast redundant. Most of the best titles from the DC were ported to those later systems.

-Having a PS3 makes the PS1 redundant. All models play PS1 games quite well.

-Having a Wii makes the Gamecube redundant, backwards compatible.

-Having and Xbox one makes the Xbox 360 and Xbox redundant, the system is ever increasingly backwards compatible.

-Having a Gameboy advance makes the Gameboy Color and Gameboy redundant because of backwards compatibility

-Having a New 3DS makes having a 3DS, DS redundant because of backwards compatibility

Thoughts?! What did I miss or get wrong in your opinion?

Edited by travistouchdown

I think the original PS3 was the last system with official 3 layers of compatibility. Although I suspect some DS models allowed GBA and GB?

The jailbroken original XBOX and PSP almost put the rest of my systems in the closet. The emulators being easier and a bit more stable then PC counterparts.

Really too bad building ISOs for the Dreamcast was so finicky. Also the sloooooow maple bus SD card readers. That could have been the ultimate all in one system.

"Having A Genesis or SNES makes owning a TG-16 redundant. Most of the best 16 bit titles went to those two systems."

It is true that most of the best 16 bit titles are on those two other consoles, but that hardly makes the TG-16 redundant. There are plenty of great games for the TG-16 that are not on the SNES and Genesis.

• Like 12

What are consoles that (in your opinion) make owning other similar consoles of the era (or current) redundant? Here is my take on a few:

-Having and XEGS makes the 5200 redundant. Both A8 computers that have been consolized, XEGS has more power and access to a larger library.

-Having a Genesis makes owning a Master System Redundant, you can play the whole library on a Genesis with a power base converter or on an everdrive

-Having A Genesis or SNES makes owning a TG-16 redundant. Most of the best 16 bit titles went to those two systems.

-Having a Saturn/PS1 makes owning a 3DO redundant. Pretty much all the good 3DO games are on Saturn or PS1

-Having a PS2/Gamecube/Xbox makes owning a Dreamcast redundant. Most of the best titles from the DC were ported to those later systems.

-Having a PS3 makes the PS1 redundant. All models play PS1 games quite well.

-Having a Wii makes the Gamecube redundant, backwards compatible.

-Having and Xbox one makes the Xbox 360 and Xbox redundant, the system is ever increasingly backwards compatible.

-Having a Gameboy advance makes the Gameboy Color and Gameboy redundant because of backwards compatibility

-Having a New 3DS makes having a 3DS, DS redundant because of backwards compatibility

Getting older makes it all redundant, as your eyesight and reflexes make twitch games no fun to play. Waaaah I'm old.

New 3DS is great, but some of the DSi games are forever locked out unless you bought and transferred them over, which is a pain in the butt.

EVERY system should strive for perfect backwards compatibility. I really wish the PS4 would make it possible to put away the PS1, PS2, PS3, PSVita/PSTV, and PSP, but noooooo .... the Vita itself could play a lot but not all PSP games, and there were weird subsets like PS Minis and PS Mobile titles as if they were their own platforms. I agree with you that the Xbone model is pretty good. Not perfect, but getting better all the time, often in surprising ways.

I feel like systems with a lot of arcade ports (Colecovision comes to mind) are less desirable in the age of MAME, despite being sierra hotel way back when.

Some exceptions/mitigations

3DO has a nice version of Star Control II that isn't on Sat/PS1. But it's free to download on PC as "The Ur-Quan Masters."

3DO also has a nice version of Wing Commander III that pisses on the PS1 version from a great height. But you can get the much better DOS version from GOG for six dollars.

Mac OS is about to jump off another compatibility cliff, they'll break 32-bit apps soon just like iOS did. As weird and janky as Windows can be, it's unbeatable in terms of compatibility with old stuff. And even that's not perfect.

• Like 4

I don't agree with this one. Just from my own collection of about 50 Dreamcast games plus what I can think of off the top of my head, the following games have never been released on any other console, were significantly altered on other consoles, or are just clearly the best on Dreamcast (usually because they were released on PS1 or N64 and Dreamcast, not later consoles):

Re-Volt

Tech Romancer

Crazy Taxi 2

Confidential Mission

Bangai-O - was released on N64 but it's basically a whole different game (also looks a lot better on DC)

Giga Wing 1 & 2

Mars Matrix

Project Justice

Test Drive Le Mans

Power Stone 1 & 2

Densha de Go! 2 Kōsoku-hen 3000-bandai

Puyo Puyo Da!

Puyo Puyo-n - was released on prior platforms but DC is by far the best version

Sega GT Homologation Special - was released on Xbox but without the car creation mode, which was most of the original game

Samba de Amigo - was released on Wii but without the maracas

Cannon Spike

various Dance Dance Revolution games

Grand Theft Auto 2 - was on PS1; the DC version is clearly better

Outtrigger

I'm sure there are more; those are just the "good" ones that I can remember. Those are all games that, especially taken as a whole, are worth owning a Dreamcast for. Some of them (though probably less than half) are available on PC, just not any other console, but the PC could be argued to make basically any console "redundant" so I wouldn't include it in the argument.

Many of the Dreamcast's best games were *not* the most popular; that was kind of the thing about that system. It was zigging while the rest of the market was zagging. It wasn't what people wanted, but it had a ton of great games, and a lot of them just never got ported to anything else because they didn't sell that well.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 6

Try everything.

XBox One - the backwards compatibility on this system is basically patchy emulation for whatever games Microsoft can be bothered to port over which IMO makes it negligible when considering whether to buy the system or not

Mega Drive/Genesis - no support for SG-1000, light gun or 3D games

Gameboy Advance - I'll pass on the carpal tunnel and use my backlit and biverted original DMG, my GB Boy Colour (Chinese hardware clone of the GBC with DS quality backlight) and the Gameboy Player on my GameCube thanks

And why do you want everything to be redundant? Playing games on their original hardware is all part of the fun.

• Like 1

My Custom Firmware PS3 essentially rendered all my previous consoles irrelevant, since it emulates all of them.

I hope you didn't download those roms... :-)

This would be a tad hypocritical considering that other thread and your pov on the subject, don't you think?

• Like 4

"-Having A Genesis or SNES makes owning a TG-16 redundant. Most of the best 16 bit titles went to those two systems."

Shameful. :thumbsdown:

Most of the best..but not all. Backwards compatibility is a logical reason to point to actual redundancy, and I can stand to see the 3DO get pissed on...because it sucks. But having Mario and Sonic doesn't make Bonk redundant, having Musha and Axelay doesn't make Blazing Lazers redundant, having Castlevania IV and Castelvania Bloodlines doesn't make Dracula X redundant, etc etc etc.

• Like 4

I don't agree with this one. Just from my own collection of about 50 Dreamcast games plus what I can think of off the top of my head, the following games have never been released on any other console, were significantly altered on other consoles, or are just clearly the best on Dreamcast (usually because they were released on PS1 or N64 and Dreamcast, not later consoles):

Re-Volt

Tech Romancer

Crazy Taxi 2

Confidential Mission

Bangai-O - was released on N64 but it's basically a whole different game (also looks a lot better on DC)

Giga Wing 1 & 2

Mars Matrix

Project Justice

Test Drive Le Mans

Power Stone 1 & 2

Densha de Go! 2 Kōsoku-hen 3000-bandai

Puyo Puyo Da!

Puyo Puyo-n - was released on prior platforms but DC is by far the best version

Sega GT Homologation Special - was released on Xbox but without the car creation mode, which was most of the original game

Samba de Amigo - was released on Wii but without the maracas

Cannon Spike

various Dance Dance Revolution games

Grand Theft Auto 2 - was on PS1; the DC version is clearly better

Outtrigger

I'm sure there are more; those are just the "good" ones that I can remember. Those are all games that, especially taken as a whole, are worth owning a Dreamcast for. Some of them (though probably less than half) are available on PC, just not any other console, but the PC could be argued to make basically any console "redundant" so I wouldn't include it in the argument.

Many of the Dreamcast's best games were *not* the most popular; that was kind of the thing about that system. It was zigging while the rest of the market was zagging. It wasn't what people wanted, but it had a ton of great games, and a lot of them just never got ported to anything else because they didn't sell that well.

Speed Devils was the only console release on the Dreamcast.

The Playstation is the most redundant system ever. The PS2, PS3, PS4,Vita, and PSP can play them officially.

I hope you didn't download those roms... :-)

This would be a tad hypocritical considering that other thread and your pov on the subject, don't you think?

Clearly you didn't read the half dozen posts I made where I said that I have no problem with people downloading roms - only with them pretending they are legally entitled to.

• Like 4

The Game Boy Advanced SP made the GBA, GBC, GBL, GBP, & GB redundant.

Unless you want to play with headphones in.

I would adore a GBA SP with bluetooth audio and a standard power connector. Might as well give me a microSD slot while we're at it, use the extra cartridge slot space for more battery.

• Like 1

The Game Boy Advanced SP made the GBA, GBC, GBL, GBP, & GB redundant.

And don't forget if you put in an Everdrive flashcart it also brings in relatively ok NES, SMS/SG-1000, and Gamegear into play as well. :)

As far me, I'd say the NT-Mini. Hard to get a hold of today, but the fact is it can play NES/Famicom, Colecovision, 2600, 7800, SMS, GB/GBC, and a bunch of other minor stuff in one handy-dandy hi-def console :P

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

I agree with all your assessments except for:

The TG-16, 3DO and Dreamcast can't be made redundant as they have many games that just are not on those other consoles you mentioned.

I was going to mention the 2600 being replaced by the 7800 but Albert and others already mentioned so. The 2600\7800 thing was the first

that came to mind for me.