IGNORED

Mega NT

Rocket Man

Hey, that can be a good thing either way ;)

Chun-Li has big thighs, right? So back in the day, I asked Mr. Yasuda, "Why does she have such big thighs?" And he started shouting and went off and was like, "I can't believe you don't understand the appeal." And he started explaining the attraction. And you know, I'm a woman and I asked the question but it kind of got awkward when he started explaining his fetishes. I mean, he has really strong feelings toward his creations. There's a reason for everything being the way that it is. When I heard that, I thought maybe that's something that everybody thinks, but everybody doesn't go out telling everybody. But he just told me.

https://www.polygon.com/a/street-fighter-2-oral-history/chapter-2

Thanks for the fix. This is not my week for copy and paste.

No problem! It appears your link has some extra characters or spacing that was messing with the link.

On topic: For me I used to play all my games in full stretched 16:9 and didn't think a ton about it. This was because for many of the games I had never played them before and didn't have any memory of how they should really look. It wasn't really until I got my 7800 AV modded and playing Atari games that I could see how 'off' that stretched look really was. Since my CVBS/S-vid to HDMI converter didn't have an option for this and my TV at the time didn't either. I lived with it. But once I replaced out the TV and found out that the new gave me the ability to set the wide=normal on digital inputs, I realized just how much better it was to play them in correct aspect again. When it came time to replace that TV again, I purposed looked for the ability to make sure I could still set the aspect on a digital input source.

Now I have new equipment that takes care of this for me, but I honestly could never got back to a stretched image for playing retro games. The only way that a game could be played in full 16:9 and not looked stretched would be for the game to have been modified to add additional image information to fill in that space that would normally be cut off. I'm not aware of any tech that magically does this?

So if a Mega NT were to be created, it needs to have a 4:3 option or somehow have this 'magic' ability to fill in that space with extra image information for those who cannot live with borders.

Makes me wonder though? How do you handle watching movies? Because nearly all of my blu-ray movies and even my 4k movies, still produce a black bar on the top and bottom of the screen on my 16:9 TV. So...yeah how do you get around being able to stand that?

• Like 1

I would definitely buy one. With the original console, not only do you have to deal with bad caps, but also audio and video inconsistencies, all which require mods. In an ideal world, a combination Genesis/Sega CD/32X unit would be amazing. However, the cost of such a unit would be prohibitive. While I would gladly pay $400+ for such a console, would other people do the same?

Edited by Jaguarandine
  • Like 1

I know what it looks like. I just want him to prove it doesn't look like that. ;)

For the umpteenth time, it doesn't look stretched to me. Obviously it 'is' stretched... but it doesn't look stretched to me. I can't be any clearer. :P

A. For me I used to play all my games in full stretched 16:9 and didn't think a ton about it. This was because for many of the games I had never played them before and didn't have any memory of how they should really look. It wasn't really until I got my 7800 AV modded and playing Atari games that I could see how 'off' that stretched look really was. Since my CVBS/S-vid to HDMI converter didn't have an option for this and my TV at the time didn't either. I lived with it. But once I replaced out the TV and found out that the new gave me the ability to set the wide=normal on digital inputs, I realized just how much better it was to play them in correct aspect again. When it came time to replace that TV again, I purposed looked for the ability to make sure I could still set the aspect on a digital input source.

B. Now I have new equipment that takes care of this for me, but I honestly could never got back to a stretched image for playing retro games. The only way that a game could be played in full 16:9 and not looked stretched would be for the game to have been modified to add additional image information to fill in that space that would normally be cut off. I'm not aware of any tech that magically does this?

C. So if a Mega NT were to be created, it needs to have a 4:3 option or somehow have this 'magic' ability to fill in that space with extra image information for those who cannot live with borders.

D. Makes me wonder though? How do you handle watching movies? Because nearly all of my blu-ray movies and even my 4k movies, still produce a black bar on the top and bottom of the screen on my 16:9 TV. So...yeah how do you get around being able to stand that?

A. It was the opposite for me until just recently. I have always been used to playing systems, previous to the PS2, in 4:3. Now that I've experienced 8 & 16 Bit systems with a stretched look on my 54" Plasma, I'm in heaven and will never go back. I prefer to see the pixels stretched and 'fat' because it makes the picture that much richer to me. There is no blurriness to my eyes, and everything looks crisp that way.

B. I understand your point. You'd be content playing Retro based systems if they could actually render in 16:9. That would be badass and I'd enjoy that too, although I don't think it would look all that much different than what I'm doing by stretching the image. Again, this is all down to personal preference at the end of the day.

C. Rendering in 4:3 is not an option from what I see using the Analogue NT, it's a standard. It renders in 4:3 and then the user has the capability to stretch the image vertically and horizontally to their taste if so desired.

D. I have to live with it when watching DVDs. I love movies that use 100% of the screen and will never understand why the majority of movies have black bars, it makes zero sense to me.

I would definitely buy one. With the original console, not only do you have to deal with bad caps, but also audio and video inconsistencies, all which require mods. In an ideal world, a combination Genesis/Sega CD/32X unit would be amazing. However, the cost of such a unit would be prohibitive. While I would gladly pay $400+ for such a console, would other people do the same?

I would! In a heartbeat. :-D

Well...there is a whole other subject when it comes to aspect ratios that are used in movies. But suffice it to say, movies aren't shown in a 16:9 format. As a result, the directors would prefer the entire image of the film be preserved so that is why we still end up with bars on the top and bottom even on wide screen displays. There are tricks they can use to make a movie fit in a 16:9 aspect, but they require to either squish the image down a bit (Can make characters look old and too slender), they can use a Pan and scan method whereby they fill the entire screen and then cut off the left and right sides. (Most 4:3 aspect movies always did this), or a combination of the two to make it fill the 16:9 aspect. But again most of the movies I own do not do this and so I'm left with bars still on the top and bottom. I especially find it annoying on 4k films as they seem to be the worst at leaving those bars and not willing to modify the film ever so slightly to fit properly.

This is why I want a larger screen TV in the living room again! LOL

But aside from that I can't play the old classic in 16:9 stretched because I know Mario isn't really that fat, I know Sonic is really that fat...etc. The characters themselves just do not look correct. Playing in a dim room my eyes don't notice the black on the left and right and just focus on the content on the screen as it is.

• Like 2

F-Zero stretched out and filling up my 54" screen looks so sick, I can't imagine playing it any other way. Super Metroid and The Legend of Zelda were amazing looking... the NES looks fantastic as well. I can't wait to check out the SMS and Genny once there are FPGA systems for those. Saturn and Dreamcast, mmmmmmmm that would look siiiiiick!

Sick and distended, you mean. :lol:

I mean, you spent two pages saying "it's not stretched" so for you to finally admit it's stretched is nice, but beyond that it's just games. Have fun. At least you're aware of what you're doing.

Those paint chips are holding you back. Where did I ever say, "it's not stretched". Your reading comprehension is on par with your ability to not repeat the same thing, over and over. My first response to you was that I was stretching it, but that it didn't look stretched to me.

Dingbat :waving:

16:9 wasn't meant for full screen viewing of widescreen era Hollywood movies. Rather, it was a widescreen compromise ratio.

Letterboxing would be minimized with common theatrical aspect ratios and at the same time, pillarboxing for the decades of 4:3 television content would be kept to an acceptable level.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I'd buy one out of support for what's been going on with FPGAs, but I already have a genesis/32x/cd/framemeister setup, and the RGB signal is already very clear. This contrasts with the Super NT, which at least replaces a system with kind of bad RGB.

But the 'big' systems are not really what I like about this FPGA revolution.

What I like most are discovering the oddball systems NT Mini supports, which would be very difficult to get a decent playing experience out of. I've tried to play my Supervision handheld, but util I got the NT Mini, I didn't really think I'd ever spend any serious time with it. And while I say that love my stack of game gears, I've probably have logged more hours on the NT Mini's gg core, simply for it being a better experience. It's also given me days of fun, playing on consoles I've never even seen in person. If that's not a mind blown moment, I don't know what is. The darn thing plays adventurevision, for pete's sake.

So while I'd certainly buy a genesis FPGA system, since money spent on kevtris hardware is never wasted, seeing an all-too-familiar sonic game move 0.02% smoother seems a little less exciting to me than the possibility of more cores for odd systems, or for systems with video technology that modern eyes have trouble with. Cougar Boy, astrocade, lynx, maybe some arcade systems--the possibility of those excite me a whole lot more. I know there's more money to be made marketing to the biggest nostalgia install bases, but at this point in my life, I'd rather see something I'm not familiar with than something I am.

Edited by Reaperman

Here you said it doesn't look stretched. The only way that's possible is if it magically maintained it's shape.

Saying, "it's not stretched" and "it doesn't look stretched" are two completely different statements. Troll harder, dingaling.

16:9 wasn't meant for full screen viewing of widescreen era Hollywood movies. Rather, it was a widescreen compromise ratio.

Letterboxing would be minimized with common theatrical aspect ratios and at the same time, pillarboxing for the decades of 4:3 television content would be kept to an acceptable level.

I saw The Nun at a theatre recently and it utilized the entire screen which was cool, I was surprised.

Not trolling. You're not aware that words have definitions and that putting together sentences from them in concise ways can convey meaning without ambiguity. I'm not even quoting you outside of the time where you asked me to do so... You're here LOOKING for this stuff.

It's obvious what you're doing with your misquotes, and repeating the same thing over and over. I told you, you're retarded in a PM, and you "reported" me like a 10 year old. :lolblue: What a fairy.

• Like 1