IGNORED

Pinball games

Asmusr

46 minutes ago, TheBF said:

Would it possible to delicately animate the high-light on the marble to create the illusion of rolling? 

It might not take very much.

Sure, if by marble you mean the thing I see as a steel ball. ?

Edit: How I wish the 9918A had another shade of grey.

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 1

Does this count as a marble???

939955557_Powerball20-9809.jpg.b7cd0c0a7a4365540b39b7a70eaf673b.jpg

White zirconia ceramic "Powerball" used in Bally's Twilight Zone pinball machine.  This is also the "Navi-Ball" used in Stern's Avatar LE pinball machine, and the "Rolling Stone" used in Stern's Rolling Stones LE pinball machine.

New production bright white pearlescent color (as original).  Conforms to the original size and weight specifications: size - 1-1/16" diameter, weight - 65 grams.

Bally reference #20-9809.
Stern reference #260-5012-00.

• Like 3

On 8/23/2018 at 11:28 PM, Tursi said:

While watching that video I was wondering - do most people prefer the scrolling tables? They always kind of annoyed me, although I see the advantage in terms of offering better graphics.

Depends of course, but generally not a huge fan of scrolling playfields either. The trade-off of perceived graphics superiority usually ends up hurting the gameplay vs. a well designed static playfield IMO.

That said, Rasmus' pinball game here looks interesting, and the smooth scrolling is impressive. As a fan of the genre, will definitely be keeping an eye on the progress.  :)

On 3/18/2022 at 10:01 PM, save2600 said:

Depends of course, but generally not a huge fan of scrolling playfields either. The trade-off of perceived graphics superiority usually ends up hurting the gameplay vs. a well designed static playfield IMO.

That said, Asmusr's pinball game here looks interesting, and the smooth scrolling is impressive. As a fan of the genre, will definitely be keeping an eye on the progress.  :)

I have to concur.  Scrolling doesn't add a great deal for me. 

There is also the option of doing what one of my favourites - Alien Crush for TG16 - does.  For all the advantages that hardware has over something of the TI-99's era, it doesn't bother with scrolling, and just flips between the two halves of the main playfield as needed. 

If removing scrolling means more patterns to devote to paddles and additional board features and embellishments, I'm all for it! 

But I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever Rasmus chooses to do. 

• Like 1

well, I tested it on real hardware and I really like the scrolling instead. 
It brings me back a lot to what Pinball Dreams was. I consider static screen pinball games to be of the old generation. All the more modern ones after that were with scrolling. 
by the way, there are already fixed screen Pinball on the TI99 so I would appreciate a style never seen on our computer. something new added I would say.

Alien Crush for TG16 is a fun game but I never saw it as a true pinball simulator in its own right, but more pinball arcade action game.
So it depends on what you want to be inspired by, I think if there is a desire to create a "new and fresh" pinball simulator, pinball dreams style would be my choice ?

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 3

On 3/22/2022 at 8:15 PM, Tursi said:

Portrait mode. Rotate those monitors! ;)

No need for that - making the base, non-moving part of the flippers characters instead of sprites works really well.  These flippers consist of only two sprites each and are up to 43 pixels wide where the old flippers consisted of up to 3 sprites and were only 32 pixel wide.

flippers.png.fb6eba1141c80062928d7f1a4ad95846.png

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Asmusr said:

No need for that - making the base, non-moving part of the flippers characters instead of sprites works really well.  These flippers consist of only two sprites each and are up to 43 pixels wide where the old flippers consisted of up to 3 sprites and were only 32 pixel wide.

Oh, I wasn't worried about sprites. Pinball tables are taller than they are wide. ;)

12 hours ago, Asmusr said:

flippers.png.fb6eba1141c80062928d7f1a4ad95846.png

Ooh, smart!

On 3/22/2022 at 3:15 PM, Tursi said:

Portrait mode. Rotate those monitors! ;)

Well, my main monitor weighs over 30 pounds, and is rackmounted in a fully loaded 18u rack. 

But I guess if it resulted in the ultimate TI pinball game, even I'd have to accept the challenge, and ROTATE THAT RACK!

image.png.29ee1cc86b2eaf83c928df720883e338.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Here's another - and the last - fully playable demo. If I move on from here it will be with a completely redesigned playfield.

Controls are still Space to launch and Z and M to control the flippers. Nudge keys are X and N, but those should be considered a test/demo feature.

Music and sound effects are borrowed from Bouncy's obstacle course and ZQX-ONE.

pinball-8.bin

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 4

On 3/26/2022 at 1:24 PM, pixelpedant said:

Well, my main monitor weighs over 30 pounds, and is rackmounted in a fully loaded 18u rack. 

But I guess if it resulted in the ultimate TI pinball game, even I'd have to accept the challenge, and ROTATE THAT RACK!

image.png.29ee1cc86b2eaf83c928df720883e338.png

I mean, you'd HAVE to!! ;)

• Like 1

Looks incredible but didn't you get 40,000 points for going through the corridor with the arrows 4 times and just 906 points for everything else that happened during the game? Seems somewhat unbalanced. For me it would become a game of trying to do one thing over and over again and probably wouldn't hold interest as long as it would if the scoring was more varied.

Wow it looks very nice! Congratulations @Asmusr!

I like very much the matrix display effect for scorekeeping, it gives you a lot of possibilities for displaying short animations and effects, just like Pinball Dreams (and real pinballs of course).

For curiosity, how does it work? Is it made with charsets or is the matrix calculated real time (color table maybe)?

• Like 1