IGNORED

DKJR technical demo

nanochess

Hi guys.

Someone wishing to remain anonymous has shared with me a kind of technical demo.

It's kind of impressive. No idea whether author wants to keep developing it.

(click to animate)

attachicon.gifmvi_0005.gif

With this author be open to collaboration? I reverse engineered most of the DK Junior source code. I also think I could help with the graphics

This keeps getting better !!!!!

This would be an awesome Collaboration ... Carl and the Masked programmer.. What a dynamic dual !!!!! Thanks as well Carl..

A thought I always had with donkey kong is to leave donkey kong and the girl off screen; then scroll up once the round is over. It gives you more screen space for more game elements e.g. girders; and those characters never look good with background graphics, although Carl's donkey kong looks okay. Once the round ends and the screen scrolls up you can use all the high resolution sprites on these characters. Maybe the same can be done with dkjr.

• Like 1

Here is my attempt at an arcade-looking Donkey Kong.

I don't know the exact limits and borderlines of the cards, but I started out using the same colors in the demo pics to create a 4-color pixelart of Donkey Kong independent of the cage. It can be reworked in a number of ways to use 2 colors per section. Having a somewhat detailed base to work from leaves it open to future possibilities that might work towards that version.

dkjrintv1.gif

dkjrintv2.gif

dkji3.gif

Guessing on the limits of the demo based on where the colors stop horizontally, I made this version:

dkjri2color1.gif

dkjri2color2.gif

dkji6.gif

I thought that it still looked good, but then paid attention to where the vertical divides are:

dkjri2color3.gif

dkjri2color4.gif

dkji9.gif

I previewed before posting and noticed that I forgot to fill in the top. This should be to spec now:

dkjri2color5.gif

dkjri2color6.gif

dkji12.gifdkjj.gif

If the mystery developer or anyone else working on another DKJR port wants to use or work off of any of what I've posted, please feel free.

• Like 5

At last I got an answer this morning.

There are good and bad news. First the bad one, the developer thought I was a publisher of games, that's the cause he was sending me the ROMs to "lure" me.

Already he got an offer but didn't told me from who (I can deduct it from the post above this one ;) ), and sadly I didn't receive another ROM but only a GIF.

The good news is that he has continued development, used the Black_Tiger graphics, and told me doesn't want to use the Carl's reverse engineering efforts because he's enjoying programming the game and wants to code it as Coleco did, only by watching the arcade.

So apparently this will be my last post in this thread. Anyway I'm glad of at least having tested the first level. :thumbsup:

(click to animate)

post-30245-0-50439700-1536343656.gif

• Like 8

The good news is that he has continued development, used the Black_Tiger graphics, and told me doesn't want to use the Carl's reverse engineering efforts because he's enjoying programming the game and wants to code it as Coleco did, only by watching the arcade.

That's the best way! :)

-dZ.

At last I got an answer this morning.

There are good and bad news. First the bad one, the developer thought I was a publisher of games, that's the cause he was sending me the ROMs to "lure" me.

Already he got an offer but didn't told me from who (I can deduct it from the post above this one ;) ), and sadly I didn't receive another ROM but only a GIF.

So apparently this will be my last post in this thread. Anyway I'm glad of at least having tested the first level. :thumbsup:

(click to animate)

attachicon.gifmvi_0006.gif

He should put the sprite multiplexing code in the ISR in order to control the flickering rate.

It could be the video, but it seems that he has the multiplexing code in the main loop, so its rate seems way below 30Hz and to vary according to the CPU load....

• 1 month later...

It looks like a release has been done :o

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/284100-postcards-from-prge-2018/?do=findComment&comment=4138154

Link to a video of the game playing (it has sound and I can see the first intermission!!!)

https://www.facebook.com/darryl.genther/videos/2253117788094999/

Took this picture from the Intellivision Homebrew group.

post-30245-0-41681000-1540249097_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Can someone post a gameplay video? I don't have nor want a Facebook account.. :)

My one-handed technique wasn't so great.

I needed two hands. I am new to 3D videos, so not sure if I can process this at higher quality. It's not this blurry in the original, but doesn't post as 3D.

Here are a couple screens of gameplay.

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 4