IGNORED

Octopath Traveler

Rick Dangerous

I'd say it's a mixture of Bravely Default (in battle) and Final Fantasy VI (characters and such). The graphics have this really neat look of mashing 16-bit character models with a 3D background that's a mix of retro-style with some nice effects (especially water).

It's a really fun game with loads of side quests, battles, and fun to be had. Each character has their own story, and you can (technically) play the entire game with just one character.

The base of the game is going around and recruiting the other characters by playing their stories. As you advance, you can play more and more chapters of each character's story as you explore a fairly vast but straightforward area.

The only downside is that none of the character's stories are strongly linked together. You basically have 8 interesting but unaffiliated stories. Also, the battles tend to rely on you using weaknesses to "stun" enemies and then beat their faces in.

It's got a great selection of characters (each a different class) and at some point you can teach the classes across each character.

All in all, it's a great little RPG that harkens back to SNES era RPGs in both look, design, and gameplay. Highly recommend it so that if nothing else Square Enix will stop pumping out super pretty games and focus on what people want... turn-based epics with great characters and story!

EDIT

The character classes are:

• Apothecary - Mix items to make fancier items!
  • Cleric - Healing and Holy magicks
  • Dancer - Buffing and Dark Magic
  • Hunter - You can capture monsters and use them like Pokemon (albeit with limited uses)
  • Scholar - Black Mage and Identifying Monsters
  • Thief - You steal things
  • Warrior - Warrior

Each class is limited what weapons they can use, but they can equip multiple weapons and swap them mid-battle to use the proper one for an ability or attack a weakness.

Edited by KeeperofLindblum
  • Like 1

So what you're saying is it's sort of designed like Dragon Quest 4 which that game has 4 small stand alone mini-RPG chapter mini games, and then in the last on DQ4 the travelers all come together as one big party for a very large back end. In this Switch game though it's more like 8 6hour mini rpgs and then some small tie up on the back end instead of a huge far longer deal in the old NES game.

Between what Lindlum spelled out and you short handed I'm starting to wish I hadn't skipped it.

Edited by Tanooki

I am only beginning the story of one character right now (Olberic) but from what I have seen thus far this game is fantastic. The story is something you *want* to read as it is actually interesting...and the play mechanics are simple like good old school RPGs but in depth enough to satisfy just about anyone. I still have to play a lot more to provide a really detailed view on the game as a whole of course, but I can see the reason this is one of the hottest selling games on the Switch right now. It is stellar. Glad it is in my collection :)

Edited by eightbit

• 4 months later...

ha, i necro yet another Switch thread. ;)

i just picked this game up, and wow! It is a total love letter to 16-bit turn-based RPGs- the graphics and music are indescribable.

i think i have just a couple of the characters to pick up for their first chapter. Cyrus, though, is still going to be 'boring-ass book guy' to me. He's a good mage, but holy smoke his story was a bear to work through for me.

I picked this one up a few weeks back on sale at Target. It's really, really good. I haven't played a JRPG in a while for two reasons: lack of spare time and the over-complex nature these games started getting into past the PS2 Era. This tackles both of those notions head-on. It plays like an old-school JRPG, looks awesome, and I like playing through all the stories of the other characters as you explore the game. One of my favorites on the Switch right now for sure!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I just picked this game up finally. I played through the demo and found it to be a lot of fun. I waited to pick this one up until I finally had some free time, and before winter is over.

hehe, i'm to chapter 3 and 4 on most of the characters- after about 60 hours of me dinking around and grinding. I finally had to put it down so I could focus on another game! :D

• Like 1

I really liked it and I'm not a big fan of jrpgs. In my opinion it is the best game square has ever made

Wow, that’s high praise for any game to be the best the developer has ever made. I’m glad I waited to pick this one up. It was the main reason I purchased a switch. It’s great to see Jrpgs getting some love again by Nintendo. I’m happy square is still making good games after all these years. Edited by adamchevy

hehe, i'm to chapter 3 and 4 on most of the characters- after about 60 hours of me dinking around and grinding. I finally had to put it down so I could focus on another game! :D

I’m also looking forward to playing some Ultra Street Fighter and Mario Odyssey. I’ve also been playing some Mario Run on my iPhone, which is the only phone game I’ve played in about a year. I’m not a fan of playing games on phones, but seeing how excellent Mario Run was I had to give it a shot. It’s nice to have a good Nintendo game to play when I can’t have my Switch handy.

• Like 1