IGNORED

Octopath Traveler

Rick Dangerous

I was thinking about playing through Breath of the Wild again when I decided to purchase this game. I’m not sure I’ll be able to play through BOTW again. Honestly, I’m not sure I enjoyed it enough the first time. It felt more like playing an elaborate Tech Demo based on Zelda than playing an actual game.

• 10 months later...

Suggestion if you could.  I only got as far as starting to check into the 2nd tier stories about the travelers that start to crop up before you even get every single one of them.  Would it be if I find the time, better off to scrap the game and re-try again?  Unlike my ditching of Vesperia, Lost Sphear, and FF12, this one, Setsuna, and DQ11 I wish to keep my hands on.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Suggestion if you could.  I only got as far as starting to check into the 2nd tier stories about the travelers that start to crop up before you even get every single one of them.  Would it be if I find the time, better off to scrap the game and re-try again?  Unlike my ditching of Vesperia, Lost Sphear, and FF12, this one, Setsuna, and DQ11 I wish to keep my hands on.

You sound like me!  2nd Chapter is usually how far I got before I got distracted and did something else.  I'd highly recommend starting the game over and trying again.

I do have a few notes from my six playthroughs that's making this one a lot more fun:

* Make sure that the first character you play is one you really like.  First character can't be swapped out for another party member, so you're stuck with them the WHOLE game. ;)

* If you've seen the first chapter stories for everyone, you're not missing a whole lot by skipping them (other than maybe a few character levels).

* As soon as I had all eight characters, I started hunting down the job shrines so I could dual-class.  You might be puckering up depending on your level through the zone to get there, but having the extra abilities make your character waaaay more flexible and honestly fun to play.

I just finished Chapter 2 for Therion and Cyrus, and now heading down to do Ophilia's.  Here's my party:

Olberic -- Warrior / Apothecary

Cyrus -- Scholar / Merchant

Ophilia -- Cleric / Dancer

Therion -- Thief / Hunter

Everyone's play style is different, but this one really works good for me.  Olberic gets some much-needed balance and support skills, Cyrus gets a pretty awesome 'Rest' ability to restore SP, Ophilia gets some support skills and balance, and Hunter helps Therion with AOE-type stuff and support skills.

• 2 months later...

Started this game yesterday, definitely love the art direction. Didn't realize you'd get stuck with the first character you choose, I went for Therion because of Elder Scroll reasons (hail to the thieves guild!). 

Is it true that it'll take ~60 hours to finish the main quest?

I had to take a break from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for a similar reason, 50 hours into the game and I'm at the beginning of chapter 7.. my main challenge is to finish this game before the physical copy of FF7 remake arrives at my doorstep.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ninjabba said:

Started this game yesterday, definitely love the art direction. Didn't realize you'd get stuck with the first character you choose, I went for Therion because of Elder Scroll reasons (hail to the thieves guild!). 

I had to take a break from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for a similar reason, 50 hours into the game and I'm at the beginning of chapter 7.. my main challenge is to finish this game before the physical copy of FF7 remake arrives at my doorstep.

yes, yes it will, given how grindy it is. i got caught with that too since i picked H'annit- not that i didn't like her, but you can't rotate her out of your party.  :)

4 hours ago, Ninjabba said:

I am at 75 hours and 39 minutes on my almost 100% complete save file. I just have a few side quests to complete that I will never complete because I don't like side quests. I did basically everything in my first and only playthrough since I just had this feeling that the game was encouraging me to do everything.

Just putting the game into the Switch for the first time in a year reminds me that I absolutely need the OST for this game before it sells out. I think I'll go buy it on Amazon right now if it isn't sold out! Edit: yep, bought it.

Anyway, Therion is not a bad person to be stuck with since there are a bunch of chests that only he can open.

Edited by Steven Pendleton