IGNORED

Blocking things that can move on the PF

I am wondering how possible it would be to make a Inversus like game. So a shooter where one player can only move in PF (black) and one only on BG(white). They can shoot in 4 directions and of a black bullet turns white field into black and vice versa.

Most of this can be made in Bb but I would also need a third type of field that does not change color and blocks both players. Maybe the ball can be flickered?

Are there easy kernels for yars revenge like 'neutral zone' pixels?

A more square PFpixel would also be nice. Can that be done in asm? Because then maybe I have to start looking at that.

https://www.inversusgame.com

Hmm, I'd try flickering the playfield for the walls that block both. Check Frantic for an example of that where I use flicker the playfield to denote reflective walls on the Frenzy variant. I let the player select the flicker speed because 30 Hz flicker over large areas can cause problems (physical discomfort) for some people.

Note the game defaults to the Berzerk variation (blue maze):

post-3056-0-64909800-1535227588.png

Use the first option to select the Frenzy variation (purple maze), which will also enable the next 2 options. Wall flicker controls the flicker rate.

post-3056-0-99671200-1535227605.png

Three colors without flicker shouldn't be an issue if you preload A, X, and Y with the colors and then STA/X/Y COLUBK repeatedly. This would require self modifying assembly code or using the Strong-ARM framework.

I put together a quick POC to see what it would look like and it seems like it would work well for what you're trying to do.

post-40226-0-43366300-1535251059_thumb.png

post-40226-0-78019100-1535251069_thumb.png

This is a template for what the kernel looks like. st? are replaced with sta, stx, or sty depending on which value needs to be written at that time.

lda #p0
sta GRP0
lda #p1
sta.w GRP1
lda #WHITE
jmp
st? COLUBK
st? COLUBK
st? COLUBK
st? COLUBK
st? COLUBK
st? COLUBK