IGNORED

Atari ROM Checker for OS ROMs

JAC!

The purpose of the "Atari ROM Checker" is to analyze and identify Atari 8-bit operating system ROMs based on their size and check sums. It is NOT a general purpose (game) ROM identifier and honestly probably uninteresting for most people :-). It contains a database of all known shipped or prototypes Atari operating system ROMs. It is open source, written in pure Java and runs fine on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. The download and documentation available here. The sources are available here here.

atariromchecker-large.gif

The download also contains a simple automatic ROM dumper in Atari BASIC that runs on all Atari 8-bit machines with BASIC. Just boot the "AtariROMDumper.atr" with BASIC enabled. It will create a 16k file "D1:OS.ROM" and an 8k file "D1:BASIC.ROM" you can analyze then.

atariromdumper.png

This all was released already some time ago. I received feedback that the table display is too wide, so I've now implemented displaying the details of an entry via "Edit /Show Entry..." via SPACE or double click.

post-17404-0-13934700-1535239190.png

• Like 7

What's the actual date/version? The file date in the folder is 8-26-2018. The date on the description page is 2018-07-17.ha

Thanks for the hint. Web Site is not updated also.

And thinking about it last night I realized that I actually already do have a complete database of ROMs, sizes & Checksum in The!Cart Studio.

Maybe I find the time to integrate it here at one point.

• Like 1

Great utility! referred to it many times.

Have you ever considered also incorporating well known 3rd party OS's into the database? ie Omniview XL/XE, Omnimon, XL FIX, BOSS XL etc

or for identifying popular OS patches, ie Hias' SIO patch, fast math pack, BASIC disabled, modified character sets, etc.

• Like 1

Have you ever considered also incorporating well known 3rd party OS's into the database? ie Omniview XL/XE, Omnimon, XL FIX, BOSS XL etc

or for identifying popular OS patches, ie Hias' SIO patch, fast math pack, BASIC disabled, modified character sets, etc.

The problem with that who maintains that information because there are infinite amounts of variants.

For the OS ROM and also the official ROM list that is a great jobs done by Kr0tki.

That includes you actually have all the files to verify the results.

• 3 weeks later...

Work in progress. I've refactored the cartridge database creation into a separate project, so it can be used in The!Cart Studio as welll as in the ROM Checker.
I've added the "Publisher" and "Date" fields to the Database and to the UI, changed the order of columns and fixed a previously unknown bug that caused around 120 entries from Krotki's list to be skipped.

INFO : 893 entries added, 0 entries skipped with empty fields, 208 entries skipped without CRC32

Besides the "File Size" column (which is now hidden by default) there now is also separate "Size" column. That is because not also ".car" files are found and they have a 16 bytes header and when referring to the size, we mean the size of the body,

Now I have to work on the file handling and usability (auto-detection of columns to hide).

post-17404-0-29096100-1537477735_thumb.png

• Like 4

• 3 years later...

The Atari 800 emulator and Altirra 4.10 have added support for 5 new cartridge types:

• 71 for Atari 5200: Super Cart 64 KB 5200 cartridge (32K banks)
  • 72 for Atari 5200: Super Cart 128 KB 5200 cartridge (32K banks) 
  • 73 for Atari 5200: Super Cart 256 KB 5200 cartridge (32K banks)
  • 74 for Atari 520: Super Cart 512 KB 5200 cartridge (32K banks)
  • 75 for Atari 800/XL/XE: Atarimax 1 MB Flash cartridge (new)

Therefore I've also added support for these cartridge types to Atari ROM Maker and Atari ROM Checker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1