IGNORED

Chetiry (2600)

cd-w

I have no issue with removing the tunes from Stella completely, and including it only with the ROM. This is likely the only ROM that will need the data, so it really belongs there. And as a side effect, it will allow to easily autodetect the bankswitch type.

Since the ROM currently isn't compatible with any other emulator or the Harmony, etc, we don't have to worry about breaking compatibility.

Does the Chetiry cart run some type of special bankswitch hardware, or is it just a Melody pcb with special code?

Yes I get the rom needs to be flashed in order to work due to the flash saving, but if the flash saving routine is elimenated, I see no reason why the rom can't run off the sd card in a stock harmony. If the arm musical generation is an issue, then why does the green gb version work? Or is the gb version basically running the pitfall ii mapper plus arm (dpc+) code?

Does the Chetiry cart run some type of special bankswitch hardware, or is it just a Melody pcb with special code?

Yes I get the rom needs to be flashed in order to work due to the flash saving, but if the flash saving routine is elimenated, I see no reason why the rom can't run off the sd card in a stock harmony. If the arm musical generation is an issue, then why does the green gb version work? Or is the gb version basically running the pitfall ii mapper plus arm (dpc+) code?

The cart is a standard melody board. I guess the ROM can be modified to run from the menu, but someone would need to do that. The GB version is just DPC (no plus).

Edited by DirtyHairy

If the arm musical generation is an issue, then why does the green gb version work? Or is the gb version basically running the pitfall ii mapper plus arm (dpc+) code?

It's a standard Melody board, but uses the optional EEPROM to store the music data as well as high scores. I believe you could replace the Harmony's menu system with chetiry_tunes.img and then flash chetiry_NTSC.bin to play game, but then you'd only be able to play Chetiry. You'd have to restore the Harmony to its original state to play other games. I've not tried to do this, nor do I plan to, as I already have a Chetiry cartridge.

And yes, the GB version utilizes stock Activision DPC for the music. You can check that in Stella by hitting the Developer Key to Toggle Frame Stats (COMMAND-L on Mac or ALT-L on Linux/Windows).

GB version is 10K DPC

post-3056-0-74969600-1535636487.png

Standard version is CTY 32K

post-3056-0-92451300-1535636493.png

Based on discussion in this topic, the Stella compatible ROM will become 60K so that the ROM file includes the 28K of music data. At the moment that data is hard coded inside Stella.

• Like 3

What I need to do is figure out a way to record both so I can visually do side-by-side comparisons. Maybe a USB audio device that has stereo input, though the ones I've looked at specify stereo output and microphone input which I suspect means mono.

Won't happen until next week though, have a family filled three day weekend coming up, we're off Monday for Labor Day.

It's a standard Melody board, but uses the optional EEPROM to store the music data as well as high scores. I believe you could replace the Harmony's menu system with chetiry_tunes.img and then flash chetiry_NTSC.bin to play game, but then you'd only be able to play Chetiry. You'd have to restore the Harmony to its original state to play other games. I've not tried to do this, nor do I plan to, as I already have a Chetiry cartridge.

And yes, the GB version utilizes stock Activision DPC for the music. You can check that in Stella by hitting the Developer Key to Toggle Frame Stats (COMMAND-L on Mac or ALT-L on Linux/Windows).

GB version is 10K DPC

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-08-30 at 8.30.15 AM.png

Standard version is CTY 32K

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-08-30 at 8.30.24 AM.png

Based on discussion in this topic, the Stella compatible ROM will become 60K so that the ROM file includes the 28K of music data. At the moment that data is hard coded inside Stella.

That's awesome. I had no idea the tetris_gb ROM uses a straight up Pitfall II mapper. I'd guess the 10kb filesize should gave given it away! :P

Chris, what is missing to get these working with music on Harmony?

Hi Thomas,

There are two issues:

• The bankswitching code is not designed to run directly from the Harmony menu - it will currently only work when flashed direct.
  • The tunes and high score table use the EEPROM, which is where the Harmony bankswitchoing files are stored.
Both issues can be worked around with a bit of effort - the EEPROM in the harmony is much larger than required (so the data can be relocated to a higher address) and the bankswitching code can be modified to star from the menu.

I won't have time to work on either issue for a while though I'm afraid.

Chris

Edited by cd-w

• 2 weeks later...

I received the audio digitizer, but with the Houston Arcade Expo coming up I decided I need to get back to work on SpiceC so I have something to talk about & demo next month. As mentioned elsewhere, I'm going to hold off on my original plan of using Frantic as my initial test project and start out with something simpler - a new homebrew version of Space War.

As such, I plan to wrap up the merged ROM/TUNE data support this weekend and send it in to stephena as preliminary music support for CTY. Who knows, somebody else might be able to figure out the offset percussion issue before I get back to it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you! My cart came with all records setted at max.

Now, it's much better. I really like when carts or Atarivox+ keep track of scores.

Yeah no fun when you can't get a name up. All mine are over 100k. My Chetiry cart has 198k and some change as the top score (and has remained for a couple years). Desperately needed an I-beam but it never came until it was too late. Sooo close to that big rocket, but so far... :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
29 minutes ago, devwebcl said:

I didn't notice that was released this game.

Which level should I play to get the ending (rocket).

It depends how many points you get:

100,000 points = Small Rocket

200,000 points = Large Rocket (Soyuz)

500,000 points = Shuttle (Buran)

Chris

• Thanks 1

i play the 'gameboy' vers a lot- great to have it on the vcs, believe it or not i have a nintendo folder on my cart: divided into the following folders-- Guitar Hero, Super Mario Bros, Tetris: in guitar hero is one of the guitar hero clones, mario bros: princess resc & hack, and in Tetris: 2600tris, and the two Chetirys.  the one thing about vcs i really have excelled in is making a very orginized harmony cart- if i typed out the whole flow chart someday i think you guys would be very impressed

• Like 1

i play the 'gameboy' vers a lot- great to have it on the vcs, believe it or not i have a nintendo folder on my cart: divided into the following folders-- Guitar Hero, Super Mario Bros, Tetris: in guitar hero is one of the guitar hero clones, mario bros: princess resc & hack, and in Tetris: 2600tris, and the two Chetirys.  the one thing about vcs i really have excelled in is making a very orginized harmony cart- if i typed out the whole flow chart someday i think you guys would be very impressed
I'd be interested, I'm always doing a lot rom organization for my Harmony as well as for Plus Cart.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...