IGNORED

Ray Carlsen releases new power supplies and adapters

RobertB

Good news! In his understated way, Ray Carlsen writes:

> I just finished updating my website to include the new C64 mini PS and some adapters that will eliminate

> the Y configuration on new power supplies that run a C64 and C128.

O.K., here are more details, all found at

The mini C64 p.s., priced at $55 plus shipping, is rated 5VDC @ 4 amps and 9VAC @ 1 amp. The very custom M-AM/64/128-2D p.s., priced at $140, powers a C64/128/VIC-20CR and disk drives, or with the flip of a switch, an Amiga 500/600/1200. Now on the webpage, the VIC-20E two-prong p.s., priced at $35, outputs 9VAC @ 3 amps. The C64-to-128 p.s. adapter and the C128-to-64 p.s. adapter are $15 each. (Not pictured is his heavy-duty p.s. for the Amiga CD32.) All of these are in addition to his other C64/128/VIC-20CR and Amiga 500/600/1200 power supplies!

At

there is another addition/improvement. It is the "Deluxe Box" Computer Saver and PS Tester, priced at $50. Not only does it prevent overvoltages from original CBM power supplies, but it also "allows p.s. testing without being connected to a computer."

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group -

Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network -

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

There is now a new, attractive, and well-organized front-end to Ray's website. Go to

http://carlsenelectronics.net

Ray has confirmed that he has lowered the prices on his power supplies, and his shipping costs are generally lower.

On the way back home from PaCommEx,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm gonna have to get some of these. I've got one C-64 with some popped memory chips thanks to a power supply that decided to commit murder/suicide, and I have another C-64 with some other ailment it picked up at a convention that didn't have the greatest electrical stability. Thanks!

On 6/20/2019 at 9:01 PM, RobertB said:

rcarlsen(at)tds.net

Yeah, I tracked it down eventually. And to his credit, Ray emailed me back within an hour or two of my message to him. I’ll be send off a check on Monday (how charmingly 20th century ... ? ).

I need a safe supply to use with the 64C I’ve had in storage for 15 years, and the Breadbin that the old black brick took out two years ago when I tried to test it. Once I have power I trust, I will look into fixing the Breadbin as well. I’ve got a logic probe, a scope, a desoldering gun and I’m not afraid to use them. :)

42 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Yeah, I tracked it down eventually. And to his credit, Ray emailed me back within an hour or two of my message to him. I’ll be send off a check on Monday (how charmingly 20th century ... ? ).

I need a safe supply to use with the 64C I’ve had in storage for 15 years, and the Breadbin that the old black brick took out two years ago when I tried to test it. Once I have power I trust, I will look into fixing the Breadbin as well. I’ve got a logic probe, a scope, a desoldering gun and I’m not afraid to use them. :)

You should buy from Ray. . . 

There is also this for a little bit more 21st century feel: https://www.ebay.com/str/Commodore4Ever?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Yes, Ray doesn't do eBay or Paypal.  But Ray's power supplies are the best (even as others copy him).

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

August 10-11 Commodore Vegas Expo v15 - http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex

I received my new "bare bones" PSU today and it works like a charm.

IMG_1795.thumb.JPG.4caef7c81ecde98ebab7591d2cc1d21a.JPG

Very reasonably priced, too. I'd pay 1/3 to a half what Ray charges just to buy the 5V DC and 9V AC PSU's, then have to spend time soldering up a DIN (*) and risk screwing something up ... Ugh. No thanks. :)

(*I made a DIN13 A/V connector this past winter for my 1088XLD prototype board - even though I only wired up 5 of the 13 pins, I still missed a pin assignment on one of the signals. Arrgh. I have zero desire to ever make DIN connectors again if someone is willing to let me pay them instead!*).

• Like 3

I got today my C64 repaired by Ray and Ray's wall wart (P.S.),  he did an amazing job repairing a very dirty, broken and smelly C64 also he sent me the P.S. which is two bricks in one DIN connector. I recommend you to buy his P.S. it's worth it and more important No Hassles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'd just like to bump this because Ray's work is something that needs to be known to people. I had a custom power supply made from him that supports two C64 DIN style connections (for a VIC20CR and a C64) as well as an Amiga 500/600/1200 connector. It can power either the Amiga or BOTH of the Commodore 64/Vic etc computers at the same time, it is quality and it is safe. That last part is the most important thing in my book. It's been two years and this power supply works like it was built yesterday. Really great guy, really quality stuff. I wouldn't even attempt to continue to use old vintage power supplies for these computers. Just get one from Ray and you will not regret it!

• Like 3

On 6/21/2019 at 10:56 AM, DrVenkman said:

So these links are great and all but none of them have ordering info or even a link to email him. What's up with that?

Yeah I can field this... discussions with Ray regarding the new frontend he very much wished to remain within the hobbyist / enthusiast category and not ‘commercial’ as such so we decided to not make him overly contactable using a nice contact form or displaying email addresses to avoid influx of contact... The new frontend is as much a special ‘thank you’ gift to Ray as much as it is to the community as a whole- multi device friendly and easily navigated as an information resource.

It is a tough call to avoid spam and bots etc even displaying the email address! :) Hope that all makes sense.

We are always continuing to work on this site and various social media visibility so as to help bring his wonderful resources toward the surface of the internet... make it accessible and attractive to both oldskool and new alike...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, aZtOcKdOg said:

...discussions with Ray regarding the new frontend he very much wished to remain within the hobbyist / enthusiast category and not ‘commercial’ as such so we decided to not make him overly contactable using a nice contact form or displaying email addresses to avoid influx of contact...

Ray is very grateful for the new front end to the site.  As he told me yesterday, he doesn't want to be called a guru; he wants his work on Commodores to continue to be a hobby and not a job.

Writing from Seattle, Washington,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Count me as another satisfied customer.  I took a leap of faith and ordered a hefty assortment of power supplies from Mr. Carlsen, not just for my Commodores but also my Ataris.  He built me a couple of wall-warts for my Atari 800XL's, and of course the happy side effect is they'll work with any Atari 8-bit beyond the first three.  He made sure I knew exactly what we were settling on before he got to work, and once he started he worked incredibly fast.  I believe it was under a week between when he got my payment and when I got my power supplies.  Great transaction all around!

• Like 1