IGNORED

WiiWare Digital Game Preservation?

I did a bit of searching around on Google and couldn't find any information on the subject, so I was wondering if anyone around here knew if any efforts were being made to preserve some of the more standout WiiWare titles now that the Wii Shop is no more?

Sadly I never got to experience Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth, Contra ReBirth, or any number of other critically acclaimed WiiWare titles when they were still available for download; so I was wondering if there are any groups or inviduals out there working on a way to preserve these games for the future?

The Pirate Bay has a torrent of all the WiiWare and Virtual Console software. Just over 16 GB in total. I don't think I'd go so far as to call that "preservation," but I suppose the end result is similar. I won't post the link but it's not hard to find.

Seems to me that if someone really wanted to get the games from that store, there was plenty of time to do so? Not judging, just saying. :)

• Like 1

The Pirate Bay has a torrent of all the WiiWare and Virtual Console software. Just over 16 GB in total. I don't think I'd go so far as to call that "preservation," but I suppose the end result is similar. I won't post the link but it's not hard to find.

Seems to me that if someone really wanted to get the games from that store, there was plenty of time to do so? Not judging, just saying. :)

Thanks Flojo! I looked into your suggestion and it seems that most of the WiiWare titles have indeed been backed up as WAD files, but figuring out how to run them is pretty far over my head. It seems you need to do a whole bunch of software modding to the Wii like installing a custom OS, WAD manager programs, and other software that I don't even understand what it does; and "screw up one thing and your Wii will be bricked" warnings are everywhere when it comes to running backed up WiiWare WADs. In short, it's all way above my level of technical competency and I'd rather not brick my Wii so I'll probably just end up missing out on these games unless a more user friendly way to play them comes along in the future.

As far as why I didn't buy them when I could have, I was thinking about it earlier this year when the Wii Shop was still around but I had read that since my Wii is modded with the Homebrew Channel I would be denied access to the Wii Shop if I tried to buy something. Whether or not that was true I don't know since I never tried it out, but the warnings of "don't use the Wii Shop if you have a modded Wii" were enough to dissuade me.

That's some thick irony -- didn't want to lose softmod by using store, doesn't want to brick it all by modding further!

A modern Mac would run Dolphin fine. The old one maybe not so well, but why not try?

The package manager doesn't seem so hard, but it's not like I've tried it. I keep my Nintendo stuff stock.

Maybe just easier to mod a Microsoft system to get the same games? I was also going to download a bunch of stuff before the store closed but I was too lazy to get that special cord to connect to the internet. Nintendo just should have slapped all the good stuff on a physical disc and sold it before the end of days. I do recall playing said Rebirth titles with friends, amd while we liked them, they didn't set our worlds on fire. FOMO downloads in the future just bolsters sales, so this all works out quite nicely for Nintendo. Perhaps this generation of gamers is going to feel more nostalgic like were back before mulicarts and whatnot...these dowload only games, once gone, are pretty much gone-gone.

WAD installers aren't terribly difficult on real hardware, wananoko or however he spells it makes a WAD installer/uninstaller that proved reliable

I do know of the collection mentioned for download and have it on a HDD stashed away... I kinda hoard stuff like that for preservation reasons

Kinda why I'm against digital only downloads

Were rumors a while back that the Rebirth games would be collected for the Switch. I want to say that a 4th game would even be added if I remember the story correctly (Hopefully the unfinished Jackal Rebirth that got cancelled a decade ago would be revisited and wrapped up). Nothing official has yet been announced, but hopefully it comes to fruition and wasn't just some fan yanking everyone's chain.

I only ultimately bought Contra Rebirth, but all three were decent games and I kind of feel bad not adding two of them to my digital collection. So I'd buy a collection of them on the Switch, especially if it received a physical release.

Edited by Atariboy

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the complete set. It is out there. Just do a google search. Please do not PM me asking for a link. I work very long hours and I found it without much searching, you can do the same thing. It is out there.

• 2 months later...

Gotten some of my purchases back with this site since store is done

https://mariocube.xyz/

Yes I know thread is from last August but that site is a big help since I deleted a while back some wii shop titles for memory space

Awesome link! I wish I had knew about this some time back when I spent waaaay too much time digging around for WADs