classicgamer74

I can't speak for the other games mentioned in your video, but Swordquest Waterworld did hit the retail stores. My local K&B Toys had it, one of my big gaming faux pa(s)? was passing that up.

Nearly all, if not all, of those "mail order only" games saw store shelves (or discount bins) at some point.

• Like 2

Nearly all, if not all, of those "mail order only" games saw store shelves (or discount bins) at some point.

Yeah, pretty sure most of them only saw mail order exclusivity for a limited time, with some notable exceptions like Quadrun, tooth protectors, or chase the chuck wagon.

And given the usual "6 to 8 weeks" listed on the backs of most mail order forms, you'd have probably gotten it sooner waiting for them to hit retail. :dunce:

• Like 1

That's true. A few of them did, but in limited quantities. Imagine picking up Quadrun at Kaybee for $5 on clearance and then selling for hundreds on Ebay. My parents were members of the Atari Club but they never got any of the games listed in the magazines. My pa was one of those guys who waited for the discount bins. I remember one night he cleaned house at Kaybee.

• Like 1

Nice review, I love Kool Aid Man...and Chase the Chuckwagon

Thanks. I really loved Kool Aid Man myself. I played it for hours on end. Chase I feel could have been better if the corners and passageways were wider. I've still played it hundreds of times, but to call it the worst game ever made is going too far.

I can't speak for the other games mentioned in your video, but Swordquest Waterworld did hit the retail stores. My local K&B Toys had it, one of my big gaming faux pa(s)? was passing that up.

Honestly, I really didn't care for the Swordquest games much. I discovered them long after the contest for done and over with. And judging by the reviews here on Atariage I'm not the only one. I think my most favorite had to be Fireworld and that was kind of stretch. I had a chance to get Waterworld at a yard sale about 20 years ago for $1. So, don't feel too bad.

I like Kool-Aid man, never understood the hate it gets. Outside of emulation, I never played the rest.

Coke wins is cool, but hard to eff up space invaders. But was that even a mail order? I think it was a employee offered thing.

Edited by Video

Cool video. I remember when Kool-Aid Man and Chase the Chuckwagon were mail order only. Most of the games mentioned in this video I didn't get to try out until emulation, with the exception of Kool-aid Man mainly because it showed up in stores.

I thought Kool-aid Man was pretty cool as a kid. I never had the game, but played it a handful of times at friends houses back in the day and remember thinking I wish I had it. Of course that was a time when I pretty much liked anything Atari (yes even Firefly) Don't know that I've played it since that tim, but it still looks pretty fun and I loved the fact it had Kool-aid Man crashing through the brick wall like the commercials at the time.

• Like 1

I like Kool-Aid man, never understood the hate it gets. Outside of emulation, I never played the rest.

Coke wins is cool, but hard to eff up space invaders. But was that even a mail order? I think it was a employee offered thing.

It was only given to employees at a certain location. I talk about it in my prototype episode. Of course it's available in rom format just about everywhere.

Honestly, I really didn't care for the Swordquest games much. I discovered them long after the contest for done and over with. And judging by the reviews here on Atariage I'm not the only one. I think my most favorite had to be Fireworld and that was kind of stretch. I had a chance to get Waterworld at a yard sale about 20 years ago for $1. So, don't feel too bad.

Earthworld has a charm to it to me, especially with the accompanying comic and manual. I like to play it and pretend the contest is still going lol. And like AGVN said in his Swordquest episode, with Atari even something as simple as going thru a door, is an EVENT ????

• Like 1